Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What 1911s have a slide that is easy to pull back?

If the hammer is down, the three things you can control about how much force is required to rack the slide will be: (1) mainspring, (2) firing pin stop, and (3) recoil spring.

A lighter mainspring will make the gun easier to rack. I've had a couple of .22 1911s done for myself, and went with 17# mainsprings.

A lower, smaller radius firing pin stop makes the gun harder to rack, but most 1911s you'll encounter should have the higher, larger radius firing pin stop.

You can get "calibration packs" of recoil springs that'll let you try out a variety of springs. "Heavy" springs run 18-20 pounds, 16 pounds is a typical factory .45, and you can get springs down in the 10 pound range.

If you're shopping for new, I'd encourage look at a Dan Wesson, Colt, or Springfield in 9mm. They should all have the higher, larger radius firing pin stop, and you can play around with the springs. Honestly, though, I'd spring the gun for maximum reliability and best tracking, and deal with racking the gun by learning optimal technique and improving hand strength.

We have some very knowledagble 1911 users in the forum, and I'd encourage you to seek them out.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Ruger uses (or used to use. Did they change this?) an eleven pound spring in the 9mm Commander. The slide is pretty easy to run with the hammer cocked.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

The longer the barrel, the lighter the recoil spring weight, the easier to rack.

The smaller the caliber, the lighter the recoil spring weight, the easier to rack.

Manufacturer isn’t really a factor. Cocking the hammer by hand first defeats both the mainspring tension and firing pin stop. Then it’s just a matter of bigger gun with lighter caliber.

I always thought the level of difficulty in regards to racking the slide was determined by the firing pin stop radius?

Bushingless barrel pistols usually have an easier time unlocking, in my experience. Hooked rear sights help in grabbing the slide. Optics make for an easy cocking lever, as well

It's rare the the slide-frame fit is making a pistol hard to rack. It's usually the bushing or barrel fit that requires effort to unlock

Is there a reason this is a concern? Is the pistol going to be in condition3?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Bushingless barrel pistols usually have an easier time unlocking, in my experience. Hooked rear sights help in grabbing the slide. Optics make for an easy cocking lever, as well

It's rare the the slide-frame fit is making a pistol hard to rack. It's usually the bushing or barrel fit that requires effort to unlock

Is there a reason this is a concern? Is the pistol going to be in condition3?
    Good points. I would add that if having sufficient strength to rack the slide and chamber a round is a concern, then a lighter caliber such as 9mm or .38 super would be a better choice than .45.

I would suggest this technique, if you're not already doing it: Hold the slide firmly with your support hand (weak hand, off hand, whatever), and push the pistol forward with your primary hand (strong hand, firing hand, whatever) to rack the slide. At the end of the slides rearward travel, just let got of the slide and let the recoil spring do the rest of the work. This method seems to offer the greatest mechanical advantage for your arms & upper body. If you're already doing this, then I'm out of ideas. The mechanical fixes have already been covered above. You can juggle spring rates and get some relief, but for the really light springs you'll probably want to look at a 9mm over 45 ACP. I'm hesitant to suggest a lighter main spring because it could very likely reduce reliability. What have you looked at for guns so far?

Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    I am looking for a 1911 that will be used for protecting my home. Problem that I have encountered is the slide! Some slides are very hard to pull back because some 1911's are more tightly put together than others.
    Can anyone here recommend a 1911 that is not as tightly put together and still reliable? Semper Fi Till The Day I Die! Thank-You!
    Which one's have you tried? I have never had much trouble racking a 5" 1911.

Probably the easiest was a Wilson CQB...I'm sure there are others.

Site Supporter
    My current production Colt Combat Commander in 9mm with the Colt Dual Recoil Springs is quite easy to rack out of the box. And is soft shooting as well.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Which one's have you tried? I have never had much trouble racking a 5" 1911.

Probably the easiest was a Wilson CQB...I'm sure there are others.
    Many people have issues with NIB Les Baer and Springfield Armory Custom Shop guns because the barrel bushing to barrel and barrel lugs to slide are fit so tightly. It is always interesting seeing someone who has not encountered one try to rack the slide. Any of the so-called "hard fit" pistols can have a difficult to rack slide. If you know the trick, the slide will unlock and move easily, but the inexperienced struggle.

Easier ones are Colt and Springfield Armory.

User Tag List