Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What 1911s have a slide that is easy to pull back?

What 1911s have a slide that is easy to pull back?

I am looking for a 1911 that will be used for protecting my home. Problem that I have encountered is the slide! Some slides are very hard to pull back because some 1911's are more tightly put together than others.
    Can anyone here recommend a 1911 that is not as tightly put together and still reliable? Semper Fi Till The Day I Die! Thank-You!
    USMC...helping enemies of America die for their countries since....1775 !

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran-USMC View Post
    I am looking for a 1911 that will be used for protecting my home. Problem that I have encountered is the slide! Some slides are very hard to pull back because some 1911's are more tightly put together than others.
    Can anyone here recommend a 1911 that is not as tightly put together and still reliable? Semper Fi Till The Day I Die! Thank-You!
    What is your price range?

Site Supporter
    First, is the hammer cocked when you try this? If it isn’t, it will be harder to run the slide.

I’ve found that 9mm govt models are the easiest one I’ve owned.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    First, is the hammer cocked when you try this? If it isn’t, it will be harder to run the slide.

This ^^^^
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What is your price range?
    Thank you for your reply. My price range is up to $1400.
    USMC...helping enemies of America die for their countries since....1775 !

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Ditto this.

My wife finds some slides difficult or impossible to retract. She has no difficulty with any 9mm Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer or Loaded, be it a government, champion or compact size.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Site Supporter
    Springfield Range Officer, Ruger Sr1911, Sig 1911 or even (gasp) a Kimber, S&W E series

Any of the above in 9mm with a 5" barrel. They may need a little work to get right, so either be able to do it or have someone who can

You might also consider a Dan Wesson.

Cocking the hammer before racking helps, as the mainspring is one of the main things the 1911 uses to slow down the slide.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

As mentioned, cocking the hammer is a big help.

I'm not sure it is the tightness of the slide, but rather the trend to the small radius firing pin stops that seem to be in fashion. They help to reduce felt recoil some, but make racking the slide harder.

On the other end of the spectrum is the Cammer Hammer that can reduce the force required to rack the slide.

https://www.cammertechnologies.com

Site Supporter
    1. I confess I am nearing the edge of my lane re this thread

2. The recommendation to thumb the hammer back before running the slide is helpful.

3. As 9 mm are sprung from the factory lighter that .45 ACP models, it stands to reason that a 9mm would be easier to manipulate the slide.

The link below shows recommended spring weights based on caliber of the gun and type of ammo to be shot from the same.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Recoil-...s/products/89/

As for reliable 1911 guns in the sub 1400 category, my initial thought would be a Dan Wesson caught "on sale", blem or lightly used.
    Others I would consider include Springfield Armory and Ruger in the sub 1000 space.

Most 9mm 1911's will be easy to work the slide.

I'm not trying to pry but is there specific a reason you want a 1911? Is there a specific reason you need the slide to be easy to work? Do you want a light attached or no light?
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List