Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury

Site Supporter
    I'm somewhat surprised that kickboxing or Muay Thai isn't more popular in the states. For guys who don't have the interest in the grappling aspect of the UFC I bet they'd still love watching guys like Rico Verhooven or go through some of the MT fights with guys like Saenchai or Buakaw.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    UFC.

Frankly, with the rise of the UFC and mixed martial arts dominating fights, boxing needs pageantry to compete for views in many respects. If you want to see GOOD fights, you don't watch boxing, you watch MMA and in particular UFC or Bellator. Or you watch low-level pro of Pro-Am boxing.

I love a good fight, boxing has mostly gone defensive compared to UFC. It is often quite boring to watch and only when big egos face off in the ring is it entertaining any longer. I find myself only glancing at the Friday Night Fights on ESPN once in awhile, because I like fights, just as often I find myself yelling, "Someone punch someone!"

In my opinion, boxing was ruined not only be questions of credibility, but also by people like Floyd Mayweather. I'm going to do enough to win by decision in 12-rounds, rather than actually fight. Then claim that I am the winningest fighter or all time, because I'm 50-0. It's hard to get beat if you never fight or only fight scrubs. He's no Rocky Marciano, though he claims to be better. Rocky went 49-0 in his career with 43 wins by knockout. Mayweather is 50-0 with only 27 knockouts. That's the kind of thing that leads to costumes and other garbage.

Fortunately, Fury gave us a good fight, would have been better if Wilder was better prepared, but he was not.
    It's a lot like football. I've been watching a few games lately but it's changed considerably the last 40 years. In the good old days people got hit and the running game was the way you won. Mostly you had to have good running backs or you were nobody. Now it's all the 20 million dollar QB and 3 or 4 very good recievers. You can't touch the QB or anyone downfield anymore either so the yardage is easy. Not so much 40 years ago.

Larry Holmes successfully defended his title 20 times. He even defeated Muhammad Ali. Those guys were the creme of the crop. Never happen again.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I loved boxing in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Moved on for the most part since. Saw some fantastic bouts during those years in multiple weight divisions. Even got to meet a few greats along the way.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm not surprised that Fury won, but I was in awe watching it as there really hasn't been a beat down like that in boxing in a long time. Wilder was exposed during their last fight, and the second fight with Ortiz even though he scored the knockout against Ortiz.

Fury won the first fight too, he outscored Wilder the whole fight and really the only thing Wilder did was knock him down but that was enough to sway the judges to call it a draw.

It hasn't exactly been a secret that Wilder is a one trick pony, but when that one trick is a near automatic turn the lights out trick, it's easy to see how he's been able to rack up the amount of KO's that he has.

Tyson Fury is a complete fighter though and it showed Saturday night. I don't need to see a third fight between them, I'll watch it if it happens, but it will go down exactly like this one. Fury will have his number.

I think Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua is the fight to make and I see Fury picking Joshua apart, not as badly as he did Wilder, but he'll beat him.

Wilder has 30 days to exercise the rematch clause but I don't think that's what's best for him. He should alter his training accordingly, fight a couple schlubs to build his confidence back before trying to reclaim the title.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I thought costumes were for WWE. What’s up with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    UFC.
    Prince Naseem floated into the ring on a magic carpet in 2000 (a year before the Fertittas bought the struggling UFC for a measly $2m.) Boxing has a history of theatrical entrances that long predates the popularity of the UFC.

Sporting events are becoming more of a spectacle as they compete for viewers’ attention. Look at the Super Bowl halftime shows over the years, and how even the college football national championship game which now has a big halftime show. Everything is a production these days.

User Tag List