Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket AR Triggers - poll

Aftermarket AR Triggers - poll

I'm asking very specific questions here.

1. Have you changed the trigger in your AR from the stock, "GI", part to an aftermarket trigger?
    2. If so, which one?
    3. After doing so, did you note performance gains?
    4. If so, were they gains in speed or accuracy?
    5. Did you quantify those gains?
    6. If so, what is your quantified gain (percentage, or fixed numbers are fine, both is better)?
    7. What tests (drills?) did you perform to check performance?
    8. After spending a considerable amount of time (how much?) with the aftermarket trigger, did you go back to the GI trigger?
    9. If so, did you notice any performance change relative to your prior performance with the stock parts?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

1. Have you changed the trigger in your AR from the stock, "GI", part to an aftermarket trigger?
      -- yup.
    2. If so, which one?
      -- jewel.
      -- 100 yard groups went from 4" to 2" off a sandbag rest or from prone or from kneeling. Splits seem faster, not measured.
    4. After spending a considerable amount of time (how much?) with the aftermarket trigger, did you go back to the GI trigger?
      -- thirteen years, probably 10k rounds including TR urban rifle, no.
    Ignore Alien Orders

1. No - stock triggers on my Colt (sold awhile ago) and BCM feel good enough for me. I only use mine for hunting and hiking no competitions.
    2-9 N/A

Site Supporter
    1. Have you changed the trigger in your AR from the stock, "GI", part to an aftermarket trigger? Yes
    2. If so, which one? Geissele SSA, SD-C, SD3G, and ALG ACT.
    3. After doing so, did you note performance gains? SD3G yes, all others not really.
    4. If so, were they gains in speed or accuracy? Both, but the biggest change for me is that it is almost impossible to anticipate the break of the SD3G. Every shot is a "surprise" break.
    5. Did you quantify those gains? Yes.
    6. If so, what is your quantified gain (percentage, or fixed numbers are fine, both is better)? On very high percentage targets, my splits tend to be a couple hundredths faster with the SD3G. "Fast" offhand shooting at intermediate ranges is where I see the biggest benefit from the SD3G. On the first string of the 1/2 & 1/2 with a GI trigger I tend to have 1-2 shots in the outer periphery of the 5x8 card, but with the SD3G I usually have a centered 4 inch group .5-1 second faster than with the GI.
    7. What tests (drills?) did you perform to check performance? Primarily, 1/2 & 1/2 and "D-Drill" (50 yards, 5 rounds standing, reload, 5 rounds kneeling, 5 rounds prone). My score on the D-Drill tends to be 10-20 points higher (B-8 replacement as target). Also, while not as accurate as performing the same drill with both triggers. I've shot 3gun matches with both, and find that I had to concentrate much harder on my trigger press with the GI to get the same results on long range rifle stages. The SD3G frees up some brain power to focus more on shot calling, which I find extremely valuable for long range rifle stages. My score on the D-Drill also tends to be 10-20 points higher (B-8 replacement as target).
    8. After spending a considerable amount of time (how much?) with the aftermarket trigger, did you go back to the GI trigger? Sort of, I have a "GI" trigger in my .22 trainer. I also recently tried an ALG ACT, which is similar to a good GI trigger.
    9. If so, did you notice any performance change relative to your prior performance with the stock parts? I have to focus more on my trigger press to get similar results as the SD3G. If I press the GI the same way I use the SD3G, I am more likely to anticipate.

Yes, I changed to a Wilson Combat TTU Single stage trigger.
    I dropped almost a half second off of the 1 thru 5 drill. (down from 4.32 to a consistent 3.83-3.85)
    I've got another rifle with a standard USGI trigger in it and I find myself not getting all the way to a full reset on rapid fire because the reset on the TTU is so short and crisp.

I'll definitely buy another one in the future for a new build. They are kind of spendy, but I've really enjoyed it and have seen some performance gains.

The one thing I absolutely love about it though is the positive feel it has on both breaking the shot and on reset.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    1. Have you changed the trigger in your AR from the stock, "GI", part to an aftermarket trigger? Yes
    2. If so, which one? Geissele SSA, SD-C, SD3G, and ALG ACT.
    3. After doing so, did you note performance gains? SD3G yes, all others not really.
    4. If so, were they gains in speed or accuracy? Both, but the biggest change for me is that it is almost impossible to anticipate the break of the SD3G. Every shot is a "surprise" break.
    5. Did you quantify those gains? Yes.
    6. If so, what is your quantified gain (percentage, or fixed numbers are fine, both is better)? On very high percentage targets, my splits tend to be a couple hundredths faster with the SD3G. "Fast" offhand shooting at intermediate ranges is where I see the biggest benefit from the SD3G. On the first string of the 1/2 & 1/2 with a GI trigger I tend to have 1-2 shots in the outer periphery of the 5x8 card, but with the SD3G I usually have a centered 4 inch group .5-1 second faster than with the GI.
    7. What tests (drills?) did you perform to check performance? Primarily, 1/2 & 1/2 and "D-Drill" (50 yards, 5 rounds standing, reload, 5 rounds kneeling, 5 rounds prone). My score on the D-Drill tends to be 10-20 points higher (B-8 replacement as target). Also, while not as accurate as performing the same drill with both triggers. I've shot 3gun matches with both, and find that I had to concentrate much harder on my trigger press with the GI to get the same results on long range rifle stages. The SD3G frees up some brain power to focus more on shot calling, which I find extremely valuable for long range rifle stages. My score on the D-Drill also tends to be 10-20 points higher (B-8 replacement as target).
    8. After spending a considerable amount of time (how much?) with the aftermarket trigger, did you go back to the GI trigger? Sort of, I have a "GI" trigger in my .22 trainer. I also recently tried an ALG ACT, which is similar to a good GI trigger.
    9. If so, did you notice any performance change relative to your prior performance with the stock parts? I have to focus more on my trigger press to get similar results as the SD3G. If I press the GI the same way I use the SD3G, I am more likely to anticipate.
    Nice!

It's apparently actually possible for people to define "better" if they're not lazy or Kool-Aid drunk.

No. I have the stock trigger in my rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm asking very specific questions here.

2. If so, which one?
    4. If so, were they gains in speed or accuracy?
    5. Did you quantify those gains?
    6. If so, what is your quantified gain (percentage, or fixed numbers are fine, both is better)?
    7. What tests (drills?) did you perform to check performance?
    8. After spending a considerable amount of time (how much?) with the aftermarket trigger, did you go back to the GI trigger?
    9. If so, did you notice any performance change relative to your prior performance with the stock parts?

1 & 2) Yes, Geissele SSA

3 & 4) Yes, Both

5 & 6) Yes, Splits improved 0.08, Better accuracy at speed and during slow fire.

7) HSP Combat Readyness Drill, VTAC 1-5, VTAC 1/2 & 1/2, Slow fire @ 100m - 300m, and other drills

8) No, I ended up putting SSA's in my other guns. SSF on order for my M16.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

I have been running the http://www.cmctriggers.com drop in unit for about 6 years now in my work gun. I can't say I'm quite as scientific as these guys are as far as being able to give particular data as to why I like it better, but I can tout its features:

1. Single stage design. I don't particularly like the two-stage rifle trigger design. I find that when I set up on the trigger I like to start to apply pressure and when it breaks my hand/finger haven't shifted much, so in my mind I'm more consistent because I'm not moving as much. I equate it to the difference between the first shot on a HK LEM trigger and a tuned 1911 trigger.

2. Drop in design. This has it's plus and minuses, really - the plus is it's stupid easy to install. Drop it in, push pins in, done. The down side is if something small breaks (disconnector spring, etc?) It has to go back to the factory for a repair, so it's not very field serviceable. The factory has been willing to bend over backwards for customers so CS is not a question. I still carry a backup OEM trigger setup when I'm headed to classes, just in case. The manufacturer recommends sending it in for a spring tune up ever 15k. I've experienced no issues with it in the 8k I have on the gun.

3. Quick reset and consistent clean break. This is very helpful on both up close targets and distance. I've shot several 3 gun stages where you had a 4 pack of targets in your face and I can go from .14 splits on those to engaging targets at 500y without thought.

4. Price is mid-range for aftermarket triggers. Considering the reliability and features, I think it's well priced.

Our department recently changed policy to state that all triggers had to be over 4.5#'s. I called up the factory guys and they got me re-sprung with no issues. I've been quite happy.

Oh - and, ETA : I have run the geissle and JP triggers as well. I've settled on the cmc for the above.

Have you changed the trigger in your AR from the stock, "GI", part to an aftermarket trigger? Yup.
    If so, which one? Geiselle, Wilson TTU, CMC, JP Enterprises
    After doing so, did you note performance gains? Nope.
    If so, were they gains in speed or accuracy? N/A
    Did you quantify those gains?
    Nope. I don't do a whole lot of scientific studies during training.
    If so, what is your quantified gain (percentage, or fixed numbers are fine, both is better)?N/A
    What tests (drills?) did you perform to check performance?N/A
    After spending a considerable amount of time (how much?) with the aftermarket trigger, did you go back to the GI trigger? I still have some of them installed. But I have GI triggers too.
    If so, did you notice any performance change relative to your prior performance with the stock parts? Nope.

The only exception is on a purpose built precision rifle. It has a two stage that does make a difference in accuracy at extended ranges. Meaning, it is much easier to get a clean break than a GI, and has a lighter hammer and faster lock time, so I don't get as much shooter error in the trigger press as I do with a GI.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-10-2012 at 06:25 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

User Tag List