Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aftermarket AR Triggers - poll

Timely topic as I am starting a build on a stripped lower. Are you saying that you saw no quantifiable gains in your shooting abilities with an aftermarket trigger, but rather a degradation of your skills with a stock rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Timely topic as I am starting a build on a stripped lower. Are you saying that you saw no quantifiable gains in your shooting abilities with an aftermarket trigger, but rather a degradation of your skills with a stock rifle?
    That is what happened to me. My theory is that the "better" trigger allowed me to be lazier to get the same results, and that laziness carried over to the stock part and therefore negatively impacted both accuracy and speed.

I saw a similar effect with my handgun shooting. I started out shooting a Glock, then happened to shoot a Sig at one match and liked teh SA trigger pull. Next logical thing was to get a gun with a pull that was SA all the time, the 1911. I actually never classified as high with the 1911 as I did with the Glock (was SSP Sharpshooter to begin with, then CDP Marksman with the 1911), and when I finally went back to the Glock I found that the bad habits the 1911 masked were now firmly entrenched. I only recently got back to where I started, Sharpshooter, with the Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Just to be clear, these are actually the exact opposite of the kinds of answers I was looking for. I'm specifically looking for information about measured improvement in time or accuracy.

ETA:
    also, I would be remiss if I did not encourage you to do some googling of Bill Springfield triggers. Removing the surface hardening from the GI trigger is a bad idea, and there are plenty of reports of Springfield triggers doubling or worse. I had one myself that did it.
    I am sorry that I can't give you quantifiable differences because the trigger setups that I have are in two different guns. One gun is setup as a standard midlength carbine in a "milspec" configuration and the Springfield trigger is in an AR with a Magpul grip and stock, free floated VTAC handguard, compensator, etc. When shooting at low probability targets at distances greater than 100 yards, I can tell a difference in speed and accuracy between the two setups but that is for several reasons, not just the trigger.

Thanks for the tip on the Springfield trigger job. I had seen some posts a while back about issues associated with them but I have not seen anything that would cause concern. Due to some primers popping on some reloads with over zealous pocket swaging, I have had to take the trigger group out twice on this AR and inspected the surfaces. No excessive wear is being displayed but I do use a good Teflon grease on the contact points.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

User Tag List