Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PPQ M1 for a CCW

My Safariland fits both; my p2000 is much smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by gunrascal View Post
    My Safariland fits both; my p2000 is much smaller.
    The holster was far too tight on the slide and the slide portion seemed too angular.
    Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer.

Site Supporter
    Is anyone comfortable carrying a PPQ?
    https://pistol-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-26913.html

Wow. That may rule out a PPQ for CC. Has Walther said anything about this?

My Q does the same thing, but that's what the FPB is for. I did not follow the sig drop problem. But i never understood how it could fire a round without the safety plunger or FPB or whatever sig calls it being depress.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by OkieHeat View Post
    My Q does the same thing, but that's what the FPB is for. I did not follow the sig drop problem. But i never understood how it could fire a round without the safety plunger or FPB or whatever sig calls it being depress.
    The Sig issue was due to inertia essentially pulling the trigger and thus defeating the FPB. That would not happen on the PPQ unless the FPB was defective. The trigger dingus serves a purpose and Sig could have avoided the whole kerfluffle using one.

I have been using a PPQ as a concealed carry pistol IWB for some years and have shot it with a variety of ammo from 115 gr to 147 gr. Mostly 115 gr FMJ. It has been reliable and durable without much more than wiping off the gunk and lubrication. The action spring was replaced with the Sprinco "Recoil Reduction" spring assembly, which did soften the recoil. But I did let the recoil spring go until it was obvious that it had started failing.

The PPQ is always in a Kydex holster, even when I take it off at the end of the day and place it on the stand next to my bed. Although there is some minor wear, the finish has held up surprisingly well. The corners of the factory plastic sights are a bit rounded and I really should replace them. The slide cycles quickly and recoil feels a bit snappy. 1911s & Glock 17s feel slow in comparison. I like quick. It feels like the PPQ gets back on target faster.

For me, the PPQ is easy to shoot well. I like how the grip is shaped and its angle. 15 round mags are easy to insert and lock in place, even with the slide closed. Hit the mag release lever and mags fall free every time. Controls are easier to use than other pistols. In comparison, the tiny slide release of handguns like the Glock and VP9 seem primitive. Downside is it's easier to get your thumb on the PPQ slide release and keep the slide from locking back on the last round.

I like the balance of the PPQ. It's not bottom heavy with a full mag and it's not top heavy when empty. The mag release levers work naturally operated with teh trigger finger. The motion is similar to dropping the mag of an AR. Being of the Beretta pattern, the PPQ mags are considered one of the most reliable on the market, so much so that Bill Wilson used them (with different mag catch cuts) in his EDC X9.

The trigger is a true 2 stage, single action trigger and has one of the best pulls for an out of the box service pistol. The striker will slip its sear if the PPQ is dropped and hits hard enough on the rear of the slide, but it will not fire. If this happens, the PPQ will need to be re-cocked.

Grip texture is not as aggressive as I'd like. I added grip tape for better traction. While the grip has a comfortable rounded shape that fits my hand well, there are a couple of sharp edges where my knuckle contacts the trigger guard. A bit of smoothing and minor reshaping took care of that.

Of all the polymer striker fired service handguns I've tried (VP9, Sig 320, Glock 19, Glock 17, PPQ M2) the PPQ M1 is the one I like best. The only thing I'd change on mine is the sights. They've never let me down and given good service, but as noted above, they are showing wear. The striker slipping the sear when dropped isn't good but for me, it's only been an issue once. I had my PPQ precariously sitting on top of a pile of stuff I was moving and it fell off and hit the floor. I'm not LE, but while wearing it, I've bumped it into walls, rocks, crawled under vehicles and fell on my butt trying to walk on icy surfaces. Not once has the striker slipped its sear. That doesn't mean I think it'll never happen. It means that it hasn't happen with the use & abuse I've put the PPQ through so far. I have no reason or desire to replace my PPQ with another service pistol.

In the last year or so, I have started carrying a pistol more than the PPQ because it is smaller and more comfortable- the Sig P365.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Wow. That may rule out a PPQ for CC. Has Walther said anything about this?
    IMO it's a fairly unlikely scenario for it to get bumped hard enough at the right angle to cause this while carried in a concealed holster, but if it worries you, then carry something else - no sense in always having that concern in the back of your mind.

If you like the ergonomics and trigger of the PPQ but want to avoid this potential issue and can handle learning a DA/SA trigger, the Walther P99 may be the pistol for you - it's the same basic action, except that it's DA/SA, so it's intended to start decocked, completely eliminating this concern - you can smack a decocked P99 as many times as you like from any direction and not change the state of its striker one bit. (The PPQ was "developed" from the P99 by making some cosmetic changes and removing the DA functionality and decocker button, and there are those who claim that the P99's SA trigger is actually slightly nicer than the PPQ's.)

Very helpful commentaries gentlemen; thanks.

I would love to see the “AS” trigger from the P99 in the PPQ with the old school lever mag releases. That trigger is perfect for carry. The inherent accuracy in the Walthers is crazy. Point the gun pull the trigger and the bullet hits exactly where you expect-uncanny. Liked the subcompact but just a bit off ergo wise. Would love to see “micro Q” to compete with the P365. Some ould offer PPS, but M2 is even bigger than a 365xl!

User Tag List