Thread: .44 Mag ballistics in an AR15?

.44 Mag ballistics in an AR15?

This isn’t so much an “I want this, how do I make it happen?” as it’s just one of those random things that pops into my head when I’m in that half awake, half dozing state before the alarm goes off.

I’m pretty sure the .450 Bushmaster is the closest answer even though it’s above .44 Mag power level as best I recall and .458 SOCOM even more so.

Is there another factory option with off the shelf ammo I’m not thinking of?

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    This isn’t so much an “I want this, how do I make it happen?” as it’s just one of those random things that pops into my head when I’m in that half awake, half dozing state before the alarm goes off.

I’m pretty sure the .450 Bushmaster is the closest answer even though it’s above .44 Mag power level as best I recall and .458 SOCOM even more so.

Is there another factory option with off the shelf ammo I’m not thinking of?

Thanks!
    Is there something unique to the AR platform that would have a noticeable effect on the ballistic performance of a .44 Mag compared to a rifle that already exists that is chambered in this caliber?
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Why? A .44 Mag burns about the same amount of powder as a .223. It makes smaller holes in tissue because it is a pistol bullet and doesn't achieve the dynamic effects that result from speeds >~2300 fps or so (quoting Federal ballisticians from a video discussed here some time last year). From a rifle barrel, a 6.8 SPC will make a much bigger mess of whatever it hits than a .44 Magnum would. The same is true of other options from .224 to .45x diameters.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

.50 Beowulf would be in the area.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I'm pretty sure I've seen .460 Rowland AR uppers out in the world.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I suppose you could put together a .44 Auto Mag upper if you wanted to. It starts with .308 cases, according to Wiki. So there should be bolt and receiver extension solutions out there, but you might have to go with an AR-10 or one of the intermediate "AR-12" solutions.

Quick googling reveals several results. One example: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/DP...ag/121-478206/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Is there something unique to the AR platform that would have a noticeable effect on the ballistic performance of a .44 Mag compared to a rifle that already exists that is chambered in this caliber?
    Nope. The AR just happens to be what I'm playing with most right now so I figure that's why the question popped into my head this morning. I've had both Marlin and Winchester .44 Mag lever actions. One of my sillier firearms decisions was letting a 24" 94 Legacy like this one go for something else. It was longer than necessary but it sure was a good looking and shooting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Why?
    Why not? Sometimes the fun is in following the rabbit hole to it's conclusion, logical or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've seen .460 Rowland AR uppers out in the world.
    That could be fun. A full size M&P built into a Rowland and then a 10"-12" AR pistol that uses the same M&P mags. THAT'S the kind of illogical-but-it's-got-style-points-for-days conclusion I'm talking about!

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Why not? Sometimes the fun is in following the rabbit hole to it's conclusion, logical or otherwise.
    No better reason needed IMO. If building this gun doesn't cause you to miss a mortgage payment or otherwise affect your finances, go for it. Seriously, not all guns have to make sense or even be useful beyond making you smile.

Example (yes that is a fabulously purple Kentucky Pistol with fiber optic sights):
    Name:  IMG_20180128_135149859.jpg
Views: 2402
Size:  52.9 KB

Chris

Gloriously purple and I’m not even going to ask why!

Nope. The AR just happens to be what I'm playing with most right now so I figure that's why the question popped into my head this morning. I've had both Marlin and Winchester .44 Mag lever actions. One of my sillier firearms decisions was letting a 24" 94 Legacy like this one go for something else. It was longer than necessary but it sure was a good looking and shooting rifle.
    So I would think that there's plenty of ballistic information out there for the barrel length and loads you're looking to shoot. IMO your biggest issue would be overcoming the magazine/feeding issues.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List