Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Taurus T4 rifle

Quote Originally Posted by K.O.A.M. View Post
    Probably four years ago now, I shot in a Viking Tactics class with the CEO of Taurus (running a Glock) and the Taurus AR. He had an ex-SF guy with him who was a rep for Diamondback. Over a 1400 round course, they ran those rifles without a hiccup. Obviously, I have a sample size of two, and I've seen a lot of people take advantage of the Taurus lifetime warranty. That being said, I was waiting for those rifles to crap out, and they didn't.
    No real reason these shouldn't be decent guns. If they're like most ARs out there, they are a conglomeration of parts from various sources with Taurus basically being the final assembler. Places like Toolcraft and Young Manufacturing have been making bolt carriers for years and years. Schneider has been in the trigger business a long time. There are countless other companies making bits and pieces across the AR industry. The big unknown is the QC/accountability Taurus is putting on the various parts suppliers. Are they sending out of spec parts back or are they just rolling with it?

So the CEO of Taurus was running a Glock? Weird....

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I have despised Taurus my entire shooting career and never once been impressed by one. That said, I've heard surprisingly good things about their new G3s. I agree that it would be borderline amusing if they actually became competitive.

That said, if I was a beat cop responding to an armed robbery it would give me a real case of the nopes to look down and see Taurus on the side of my rifle...
    I have 750 rnds through a G2 (not mine) and the owner claims to have over two thousand without a hiccup (which I cannot verify, but have no real reason to doubt). I don't shoot Russian/steel case ammo through anything, but typical brass case (federal, winchester, remington, and some bulk American something) has run flawlessly for me.

I'd say that particular copy is probably good to go though I would definitely keep it spit-shine clean and stay on top of maintenance intervals. That said, I wouldn't opt to carry it due to more historically reliable known options as well as the very different trigger -- unless it somehow managed to be a last resort scenario.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

I wonder what the LE pricing on these is?

Gonna have to be really good to justify them over something like a Geissele Super Duty LE...which at 850 bucks is a steal.

No dog in the fight

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Taurus owns diamondback which is likely who is making these and who has a reputation for making a ours that are on par quality wise with Taurus pistols.

The fact that one dude who knows dude who is a cop and a gun guy said they are good to go after his department got free guns really doesn’t mean anything. Is that an honest opinion? Did he just get a lucky sample of one? Or is he getting pressure from his department to say that because they don’t wanna spend the money to buy real rifles?

Gun companies are funny. As I’ve noted before some companies like bushmaster and RRA can make good guns when they are required to. Bushmaster got the federal contract they had with DOJ in the early 2000’s because they’re early guns were good quality. They started cutting corners to cash in on the post AWB sunset they AR market. Bushmaster quality has been up and down at various points over the years depending on the market and their management. In my experience pre-1994AWB ban bushmasters were pretty good, Anything Mark bushmaster after the sale to Remington tends to be not so good. In between it’s a crapshoot.

The dude (me) that knows the dude has been a LEO for 30 years. If the big dude (Victor) who has served nearly as long said they were shit or mediocre I would have been happy to report that. He works for the Sheriff’s office. The city’s training officer, cantankerous individual that he is, said essentially the same thing about the rifles they received. Decent AR. Both agencies have issued a variety of AR’s, including Colt. The only reason I posted their opinions is because I know they are career cops who wouldn’t give the guns thumbs up if they would compromise officer safety. If they told me the guns were crap I would have been happy to pass that on.

Firearm companies having up and down quality issues is nothing new. Just trying to provide information directly from the horse’s mouth.

Bainbridge GA PD issuing T4s now.......mainly because thats where Taurus' new plant is....

Senegalese army just "upgraded" to T4s too.

For some additional background info on Taurus, here is an interesting interview with the new CEO of Taurus.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ghlight=taurus

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by K.O.A.M. View Post
    Probably four years ago now, I shot in a Viking Tactics class with the CEO of Taurus (running a Glock) and the Taurus AR. He had an ex-SF guy with him who was a rep for Diamondback. Over a 1400 round course, they ran those rifles without a hiccup. Obviously, I have a sample size of two, and I've seen a lot of people take advantage of the Taurus lifetime warranty. That being said, I was waiting for those rifles to crap out, and they didn't.
    I am certain that the carbine they handed the CEO of the company to take to a VTAC class was just a random sample with no more or less attention paid to QC than one you'll find hanging on the wall at your local FFL.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List