Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus T4 rifle

Site Supporter
    Let us know how it works out for you, Mongoose. It would be mice to see Taurus produce a quality duty rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Let us know how it works out for you, Mongoose. It would be mice to see Taurus produce a quality duty rifle.
    We’re a school based department so if things get back on track, we would be purchasing mid to late summer. I keep in touch with the PD and SO here and will let you know how they are working out.

Finally some manufactures are making AR's.

Even if they're just as good as an X they will cost the same and who the F would buy one and why.

Most Popo/.mil gats are not the same as civilian (Bushmaster, Sig, FN et al.). Would any one bank on Taurus quality suddenly improving for the civi market?

And they must sell them retail cause there is no money in LE market.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Finally some manufactures are making AR's.

Even if they're just as good as an X they will cost the same and who the F would buy one and why.

Most Popo/.mil gats are not the same as civilian (Bushmaster, Sig, FN et al.). Would any one bank on Taurus quality suddenly improving for the civi market?

And they must sell them retail cause there is no money in LE market.
    Taurus owns diamondback which is likely who is making these and who has a reputation for making a ours that are on par quality wise with Taurus pistols.

The fact that one dude who knows dude who is a cop and a gun guy said they are good to go after his department got free guns really doesn’t mean anything. Is that an honest opinion? Did he just get a lucky sample of one? Or is he getting pressure from his department to say that because they don’t wanna spend the money to buy real rifles?

Gun companies are funny. As I’ve noted before some companies like bushmaster and RRA can make good guns when they are required to. Bushmaster got the federal contract they had with DOJ in the early 2000’s because they’re early guns were good quality. They started cutting corners to cash in on the post AWB sunset they AR market. Bushmaster quality has been up and down at various points over the years depending on the market and their management. In my experience pre-1994AWB ban bushmasters were pretty good, Anything Mark bushmaster after the sale to Remington tends to be not so good. In between it’s a crapshoot.

Site Supporter
    Truth be told, I was the guy who got Bushmaster and RRA rifles authorized for personal purchase and approval at my former department. In my defense, that was based on the price of Colt weapons and DEA selecting Rock River rifles. The RRA's performed OK, but as an agency, we didn't put that many rounds down range.

As suggested, the performance of gun companies (and every other) is dependent on factors other than their historic reliability. I wrote the proposal for my former agency to adopt SigSauer 9mm pistol back in the day and, later, for the transition to .40 (which I questioned even as I wrote it). I really believed in SigSauer products. Back then, maybe I was right. Today? Who knows? Maybe the 320 is good to go and hopefully the 365. Their ammunition seems solid. Their long guns, current Classic SigSauer, optics, and long guns? I'm hopeful, but not confident.

Perhaps this rifle will be a turn in the road for Taurus. I'm not confident that the first agency to issue a free Taurus rifle won't get a higher quality than the fifth or fiftieth department to do so. That sai, it would be great if Taurus improved its quality.

OK, I confess that I'm only sating that because I want to date Jessie Harrison.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Truth be told, I was the guy who got Bushmaster and RRA rifles authorized for personal purchase and approval at my former department. In my defense, that was based on the price of Colt weapons and DEA selecting Rock River rifles. The RRA's performed OK, but as an agency, we didn't put that many rounds down range.

As suggested, the performance of gun companies (and every other) is dependent on factors other than their historic reliability. I wrote the proposal for my former agency to adopt SigSauer 9mm pistol back in the day and, later, for the transition to .40 (which I questioned even as I wrote it). I really believed in SigSauer products. Back then, maybe I was right. Today? Who knows? Maybe the 320 is good to go and hopefully the 365. Their ammunition seems solid. Their long guns, current Classic SigSauer, optics, and long guns? I'm hopeful, but not confident.

Perhaps this rifle will be a turn in the road for Taurus. I'm not confident that the first agency to issue a free Taurus rifle won't get a higher quality than the fifth or fiftieth department to do so. That sai, it would be great if Taurus improved its quality.

OK, I confess that I'm only sating that because I want to date Jessie Harrison.
    At least you have good taste.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I have despised Taurus my entire shooting career and never once been impressed by one. That said, I've heard surprisingly good things about their new G3s. I agree that it would be borderline amusing if they actually became competitive.

That said, if I was a beat cop responding to an armed robbery it would give me a real case of the nopes to look down and see Taurus on the side of my rifle...
    Taurus new CEO is the dude that headed up Walther Q5 steel comp pistol per P&S. He was on the mod cast a few back and is trying to turn some stuff around. He stated hands down their best pistol right now is the 22 semi auto double stack pistol, will eat any 22 ammo and keep going.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...ees-ceo/371454

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

The VW Phaeton was a failure because It was 60K+ and didn't fit the image of what a VW was to most people (lack of prestige). When in reality it was a cheaper Audi A8 and a great value. They ended up giving them away figuratively.

Sometimes it is best to stay in your lane. If they want to re-brand they need a new name or division. More color options for the Curve perhaps?

I remember when the USMC sourced a bunch of 1911's from Colt. Colt had a pretty good reputation with their rifles as they sold a lot to the military and LE. The 1911 they sold to the USMC had some finish issues and Colt got them back. Many ended up on Gun Broker as used USMC pistols and people snapped them up pronto as they had been in service with the USMC.

Taurus purchased the old Beretta factory in Brazil and built the PT-92. That was a damn good pistol. I used to shoot one.

Which only goes to show that even a company like Colt can build a dog and a company like Taurus can build a great product. My theory is if it works for the intended purpose, meets the budget and can be maintained, then it's GTG.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-26-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Probably four years ago now, I shot in a Viking Tactics class with the CEO of Taurus (running a Glock) and the Taurus AR. He had an ex-SF guy with him who was a rep for Diamondback. Over a 1400 round course, they ran those rifles without a hiccup. Obviously, I have a sample size of two, and I've seen a lot of people take advantage of the Taurus lifetime warranty. That being said, I was waiting for those rifles to crap out, and they didn't.

User Tag List