Thread: Tampa PD officers ambushed

Tampa PD officers ambushed

I expect more of this.

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...near-ybor-city

Tampa Police Chief Brian Dugan said his officers were ambushed after responding to a call early Saturday.

Police officers responded to North 15th Street and East 26th Avenue near Ybor City around 1 a.m. on Saturday. Hundreds were gathered at the intersection.

Police responded to a call about shots fired and a possible victim. When police arrived, they could not locate a victim.
    #RESIST

Yeah. Things are quieter now. Will see if this repeats this weekend.

Area is North of I275, East of I4. Not, really, the better part of Tampa.

Site Supporter
    “The cops are not going to lie down. We're going to go out there and do our job, but we're being really careful."

Quoting from the article. Thank you for the thin blue line that goes out there every single day with the world on your backs.

Ybor is an interesting part of Tampa. I recall being there in the late ‘90s and it’s one of those areas where the main drag gets a ton of tourists and opwhat it, but you go a half block south, off the main road, and it turns to ghetto shit pretty immediately. We had a project in the area (there are lots of attempts to gentrify that general area, appealing to young people with jobs, expanding out of what they call the “Channelside” district) and the first time I went there I went one block over and wound up driving through a housing project where they were openly dealing drugs on the street. We also took over a housing project a little west if there where the city couldn’t get their shit together enough to hire a competent contractor and in fact fired the same guy twice (under a different company name each time) before finally bringing us in to both un-fuck his mistakes and then finish the job.

There’s been a lot going on in terms of construction and new businesses like restaurants and such in the general area to try and clean up the place, and all of this is unfortunately going to likely set back those efforts.
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-27-2020 at 05:11 AM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Just a couple items of orientation to the general East Tampa area, in case there are additional future shenanigans.

I've lived off and on in Tampa since approximately 2015, moving here for work from Atlanta. We typically go downtown for date night and other events, the latest being a Valentine Dinner at Timpano's Chop House and a concert in Amalie Arena in February (wow, that seems like a long time ago lol.) The Channelside and surrounding areas are fairly up market. There are megamillion houses on Bayshore Boulevard and in quaint Hyde Park, all the way up to the Tampa Aquarium and Amalie. What folks generally mean when they say "Ybor City", for bar hopping, is "Historic Ybor". This is the area from the original Columbia Restaurant (excellent by the way) on 7th Avenue, to the West about 10 blocks, to Hillsborough Community College. Shops and Bars abound in this area.

Where last weekends fun and games took place, is across I4, North, up on 26th Avenue, which technically is still "Ybor City". Once you cross under I4 on 15th Street headed North, you get to East MLK Blvd. This is a very far cry demographically from the downtown / Channelside area. 15th leads into the College Hill / East Tampa area. (This is where we had our Tampa Serial Killer in 2017, in which four folks were killed at random over several months. The guy arrested for this was put in custody where he worked at the McDonalds in Ybor City. We drive by this McDonalds every time we go to IKEA.)

Like I said, not exactly the best place in Tampa.

Red Circle = Shenanigans. Rt 574 is East MLK.

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-06-27 09-13-12.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  37.4 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 06-27-2020 at 08:16 AM.

User Tag List