Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: K Frame Stocks for High-Volume Shooting

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Yep, there's no good answer from Pachmayr for round butts and normal hands.

Your complaints about Altamont are about the same as mine. They are junk. Pretty junk, but still junk.

Just get these: https://www.topgunsupply.com/ahrends...ove-oiled.html

If you don't like them (and I doubt that), they are easy to resell.

If those turn out to be slightly too big for you, then the VZs will likely work. My fingers are long enough that VZs just need more meat to work for me.
    Ahrends are good, I have 4 sets on my K-frames, but you better buy them now if you want any as they have filed for bankruptcy. Kim Ahrends has posted on his webpage he is not taking any new orders.

Chris

The Spegel-designed Uncle Mikes grips that used to ship on factory guns are excellent for long range sessions.

The problem with most grips that don't cover the backstrap is that they nearly always leave some metal exposed at the top rear corner of the grip frame, and the wood is too thin, which delivers a sharp rap ro the web of your hand.

The UMs cover the backstrap, but are thin enough in that area as to not cause a problem for stubby fingers like mine.

I burn 200-300 rounds in 2 hours from a 3"model 64 with no discomfort.

You can find them Ebay for 40-50 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    The Spegel-designed Uncle Mikes grips that used to ship on factory guns are excellent for long range sessions.

The problem with most grips that don't cover the backstrap is that they nearly always leave some metal exposed at the top rear corner of the grip frame, and the wood is too thin, which delivers a sharp rap ro the web of your hand.
    Someone needs to assume the IP and tooling for the old Uncle Mikes and get them to market again.

Of all the exposed backstrap grips I've used, Ahrends are by far the best in attenuating recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I went through the police academy with a Security Six with the square butt Pachmayr Presentation grips. We were shooting Blazer 158 RNL and I found the combo pretty comfortable for a week or so of shooting every day.
    Sounds similar to my story. Really, really wanted a 4 inch S&W model 19 back in those days, but they were as scarce as hen’s teeth in the San Antonio gun shops that I visited at that time. So, I “settled” on a new 4 inch Ruger Security-Six, and before leaving the store I had the clerk put on the Packy Presentation grips. Long story short, that combination was an excellent choice for the budding LE Officer. Served me well.

Of all the exposed backstrap grips I've used, Ahrends are by far the best in attenuating recoil.
    I'll second that, at least so far as non-factory, semi-mass-produced grips.

At least some of the 325PDs left the factory with Ahrends. I had one for a while and those were the most confortable N-frame grips I've ever used. I think they're the Ahrends classic bananna. I just ordered a set off of Ebay.

The 325 was still too much of a handfull, but now kind of wish I'd kept it for a night stand gun.

One thing haven't seen mentiined is shooting rechnique. Getting a high, tight grip, with the web of your hand just over the backstrap will give you some relief.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I'll second that, at least so far as non-factory, semi-mass-produced grips.

At least some of the 325PDs left the factory with Ahrends. I had one for a while and those were the most confortable N-frame grips I've ever used. I think they're the Ahrends classic bananna. I just ordered a set off of Ebay.
    S&W used Ahrends round butt tacticals with finger grooves. The classic bananas are much slimmer and I never liked them. They have a sharp ridge on the edge of the speedloader cut that irritated the shit out of me.

Kim sent me a few samples when he was coming out with them for feedback. Sucks that he's closing up shop.

If you want what came with the 325, you want these: https://www.topgunsupply.com/ahrends...er-groove.html if you can find any for sale.

Re: Ahrends

The business Ch. 7 case closed about five months ago per PACER (filed back in May ‘19), so, despite what the Ahrends website posted over the weekend, the bank is almost certainly not manufacturing stocks at this point. Someone might have purchased the IP, CNC equipment, and inventory, but I am not spending the money on PACER to view the Ch. 7 Trustee’s final report.

(If I am wrong, then this might be the first time in history that a bank, or any secured creditor, hired CNC operators or other laborers to operate collateral equipment in lieu of seeking its liquidation and payment from proceeds. I represent Ch. 7 trustees at our firm, so I think Mr. Ahrends simply might not have a clear idea of what happened, which is completely normal.)

The good news is eBay sellers like gripseller have tons of stocks in inventory for basically retail prices, so if you want a set (or several to sell off in a few years when there are no more new, genuine Ahrends stocks on the market), they’re still out there for the time being. I don’t think I’ll go that route for the immediate future. No interest in grips for which replacements are guaranteed to become unobtainable, and squatting on inventory to make a buck in a few years isn’t my bag.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

I think im in the same boat. So far the best ive found are pachymer compacs(covered backstrap) and UMs. The compacs are great for low volume shooting magnums or uspsa. I find that shooting a lot of magnums my hands/forearms gets tired because theyre so big. I have a 600lbs deadlift and spent a decade hauling lobster posts so its not a grip strength issue.

The uncle mikes are comfortable with higher round count magnums. Probably the best compromise. Last time i shot with them i felt my accuracy was off so i switched back to the pachymers but then switched back. Im currently using the uncle mikes.

I loved my vzs except they are not fit very well and cause bloody hands with moderate magnum use. I think they drew blood at around 80rds last time. They feel great and my favorite to conceal.

I would really like to try some ahrends but just feel that grips are draining me right now. If i could shoot 200rds of magnums and feel ok id buy a set no problem.

I bought a set of thai wood grips that covered the back strap that im currently refinishing. They look nice and feel ok but a think they're tapered to much and are hitting the hand with a smaller surface area if that makes sense. Speaking of, i need to go put some linseed oil on them.

S&W used Ahrends round butt tacticals with finger grooves. The classic bananas are much slimmer and I never liked them. They have a sharp ridge on the edge of the speedloader cut that irritated the shit out of me.

Kim sent me a few samples when he was coming out with them for feedback. Sucks that he's closing up shop.

If you want what came with the 325, you want these: https://www.topgunsupply.com/ahrends...er-groove.html if you can find any for sale.
    I can't swear to the model, but they definitely did not have have finger grooves.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/Listings...29&ShowLogin=2

What about herretts? They have custom sizing have you send a hand tracing in. No idea on current waits but last time i talked to them it was weeks.

http://www.herrettstocks.com/
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List