Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: K Frame Stocks for High-Volume Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    What about herretts? They have custom sizing have you send a hand tracing in. No idea on current waits but last time i talked to them it was weeks.

http://www.herrettstocks.com/
    I have definitely been checking out Herretts... the wait is a bit of a turnoff, but I hear the Ropers and Jordans (which I would need with the exposed backstrap) are top-notch.

Do you have any experience with them?
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    I have definitely been checking out Herretts... the wait is a bit of a turnoff, but I hear the Ropers and Jordans (which I would need with the exposed backstrap) are top-notch.

I bought a set of Jordans for my Redhawk years ago. They were kind of plain looking, but the price was right for what was essentially custom grips. I ended up selling them because they didn't give me the control I needed. To be fair, my hands aren't that big, something that Jordans are really suited for. I've only found one set of grips that worked for that gun and my hand and that was a set of Nill grips (found them on deep discount via ebay, they're normally quite expensive).

If I had challenging grip issues with my other guns, I'd definitely give Herrett another try.

Chris

No Sorry I ended up with altamonts. I just wanted a longer trigger reach enclosed backstrap for a jframe.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Nothing bigger/better than these, commonly referred to as the "X frame grip":

https://www.hogueinc.com/handgun-gri...monogrip-black

S&W made the grip part of the frame on the biggest guns the same as the K&L frame. They don't really fit the N-frame perfectly, but you can stretch them on and they work OK.

If you try to trim off the finger grooves, you'll run into harder plastic fairly quickly.

RE speed loader clearance, I've had good luck modifying rubber grips by shaving them with a razor blade and then blending the contours with 220-grit sandpaper. Some people say to put it in the freezer so it's harder, but I haven't needed to do that on the rubber grips I've modded.

The "no finger groove" Hogue grip for the GP100 is pretty much the same in side profile, just without finger grooves. Kinda wish they'd make that for N frames.
    Looks like they don't make these for the square butt K frame.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I can't swear to the model, but they definitely did not have have finger grooves.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/Listings...29&ShowLogin=2
    You're right. Memory's off. Nevertheless, my point is still the same. They are Ahrends tactical RB grips, not the later banana grips.

Re: Ahrends

No interest in grips for which replacements are guaranteed to become unobtainable, and squatting on inventory to make a buck in a few years isn’t my bag.
    Umm.....not sure why you would think hardwood grips would be wear items. There's no reason on earth you will need replacements.

But do what you will......

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Umm.....not sure why you would think hardwood grips would be wear items. There's no reason on earth you will need replacements.

But do what you will......
    I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I’ve broken sturdier things than wooden stocks. Knowing that Ahrends are basically a fixed-quantity means I don’t trust myself with them.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    You're right. Memory's off. Nevertheless, my point is still the same. They are Ahrends tactical RB grips, not the later banana grips.
    Yes, you're right. The damn bannanas arrived today and they're not what were on the 325.

They look good on my 625, but are not as ergonomic as the JMs I've been running on it.

The gun is actually a PC that came with the candy canes. I didn't even try shooting with that abomination before switching to JMs.

The JMs were a big improvement, but I don't like them as much as on K-frames. They need more meat in the palms.

The search continues.

Back to Flea Bay.

Site Supporter

I’ve had very good results with the Herrett’s Shooting Star grips, and I say that as someone who is not really a big fan of most wood grips.

They have an expose backstrap but can be made to order.

Cheap, fast, good, pick two...

User Tag List