Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nevada Highway Patrol Transitions to SIG P320

Site Supporter

Nevada Highway Patrol Transitions to SIG P320

Nevada Highway Patrol Transitions to SIG SAUER P320

http://soldiersystems.net/2020/02/21...edium=facebook

NEWINGTON, N.H., (February 21, 2020) – SIG SAUER, Inc. is proud to announce the Nevada Highway Patrol has transitioned to the SIG SAUER P320 9mm pistol as their official duty pistol. The Nevada Highway Patrol is a division of the Nevada Department of Public Safety responsible for law enforcement across the entire state of Nevada with over 480 sworn Troopers.
    “SIG SAUER is honored to continue our long-standing relationship with the Troopers of the Nevada Highway Patrol through their selection of the P320 as their official duty pistol,” began Tom Jankiewicz, Executive Vice president, Law Enforcement Sales, SIG SAUER, Inc. “We are proud of the positive feedback we have received during their transition to the P320, and with the inclusion of the optics-cut on their slides they have the ability to easily expand the pistols capabilities in the future with the addition of a red dot optic.”
    I believe they previously issued Classic P series SIGs. First state police agency I’m aware of to issue optics cut slides though.

Thought about posting it but..........glad someone did.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    Thought about posting it but..........glad someone did.
    I’m still amazed at the rapid adoption of this platform.

From the image on the Soldier Systems article, it looks like they went to the X Carry set up-is that true?

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    From the image on the Soldier Systems article, it looks like they went to the X Carry set up-is that true?

Best, Jon
    Looks to me like a Professional model (DPP cut, rear dovetail for BUIS), but SIG seems to constantly pump out "new" models.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianjkeene View Post
    I’m still amazed at the rapid adoption of this platform.
    I'm also a bit surprised, but on some reflection, the combination of the influential M17/M18 contracts wins and the Lego-like combinations of grip modules, slides/barrels and chamberings has been compelling. Out of the three, my thought is that having relatively inexpensive grip modules that really do affect the index has probably been the most significant.

While Glock far and away is still the easiest and most viable to detail disassemble, the reality is that most end-users simply don't, and have no perceptual reasons or inclinations to perform detailed disassemblies-so the relative intricacy and difficulties in disassemblies of the P320 firing control module is somewhat irrelevant.

Additionally, for some administrators and organizations, the lack of needing to pull the trigger to initiate field-stripping/detailed disassembly of the P320s is compelling.

As I suspect that more LEOs are embarking on more frequent and higher round count training, the round counts indicating platform replacement (or increasingly expensive component maintenance/replacement) is more quickly reached, facilitating entire platform replacement opportunities. Additionally, SIG-Sauer's provision of actual skus with optics organically provided, not just platforms that are optics ready (although they have those, too) could be compelling for purchasers-along with one-shop SIG proprietary Romeo optics as OEM available for the platforms.

SIG also can provide organizations with more "vertical integration" of their organizational weapons needs, having pistols, rifles, optics, and support packages available, simplifying the organizational acquisition (and possibly maintenance) process.

And, good as Glocks are, the P320 in my opinion simply has a more natural and instinctive index for many, which may not only be prefered, but may decrease necessary familiarization and training times, which for organizations can be a tangible reduction in costs and man-hours.

Best, Jon

I am aware that the P320 & M17/18 cause a lot of heartburn to forum members. However, for an agency the design has certain compelling features.

Not only do you not have to pull the trigger to field strip it but you also cannot begin disassembly until the magazine is removed as well. For liability conscious admin types, the safer design can be compelling.

The pistol is very easy to service, especially if you have an ultrasonic. You can field strip it, pop the firing control module out and pull the striker/extractor apart in the blink of an eye. You run that in an ultrasonic. When done, you blow it out with air and reassemble. There are no pins to drive out, you just push in a plunger.

The modular part is nice but I don't see parts being swapped around that much. I see the modular design being used to facilitate rapid maintenance.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post

You can field strip it, pop the firing control module out and pull the striker/extractor apart in the blink of an eye.
    A word of warning to anyone wanting to disassemble the striker group. There is a MINISCULE spring inside that is easily lost and often not even noticed as one slides the striker out of the housing. This spring rebounds the striker back after firing. There is also a small spring on the right side of the housing that is somewhat small as well.

They are so small that in Sig armorer school they told us to not bother looking for them if we lost them and come up front and get another one out of the boxes. You can lay both on a dime at the same time and still have real estate left over.

Regards.

Name:  sigstriker.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  24.9 KB

They went with the P320 Carry Pro, which currently seems to be un-obtanium.

As much as I despise SIG as a company, I'm trying to order one of these since they are rapidly popping up in my own department and neighboring agencies.

I just called our SIG factory rep (the guy for California), who stopped by a couple months ago, and found out that he'd been fired. That has to be over a dozen factory reps in the past fifteen years (for comparison Glock and S&W are still on the same guys for the same time period). It doesn't seem to be hurting them though.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I am aware that the P320 & M17/18 cause a lot of heartburn to forum members. However, for an agency the design has certain compelling features.
    While it is a small sample a local department has gone to the X-Carry. A friend who works there says that off-duty carry has gone up now that officers can buy their own grip/slide combos and “convert” for their off days. This has made enough of an impression that the agency is actually looking at issuing the necessary components for officers, instead of individual purchase.

The “LEGO” novelty factor is still high so time will tell if this approach wears off or not.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List