Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Nevada Highway Patrol Transitions to SIG P320

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    When/for who/how often/for what reasons do you guys perform ultrasonic cleanings? Thanks in advance.
    Most folks I know, do it as a labor saving device. Most folks will strip, run through with a cleaner, and then relube with an oil bath. No detailed scrubbing involved. A fellow armorer tries to run his stuff through once a year - it's not perfect but it solves 95% of the clean/lube problem for very minimal labor investment.

I had a Spaulding class coming up and wanted a clean gun. From start to finish I was done in less than 30 minutes.

I know one agency that gave up on its guys cleaning their Glocks. The armorers can run them in the ultrasonic once a year and keep everything working.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I'm really not at all trying to get out of my lane wrt LEO, but it is really surprising to me that such a big force behind these procurement decisions is whether or not the gun requires a trigger press to disassemble. I realize it may not be a primary decision maker, but the fact it plays such a major role is interesting to me.
    It’s a factor, it’s not the factor some in this thread make it out to be but “Glock hand” is a very real thing.

Some places make it a selection factor but given that NYPD (38k LEO) and now CBP (45k LEO) - the two largest LE Agencies in North America issue Glocks it’s not THAT big a deal

Most LEOs are in the middle of the bell curve and as competent with firearms as they are required to be. However, in any group there is always a bottom end of the bell curve who are borderline incompetent. Some are truly incompetent but most are simply so indifferent they have devolved into incompetence.

Every ND I’m aware of involving pulling the trigger to disassemble a Glock was the result of someone who did not understand the pistol’s cycle of operation. They either 1) reversing the clearing process i.e rack a round THEN take the mag out, not realizing they chambered another round or 2) lock the slide back without removing the magazine, then having seen a round come out of the chamber, drop the slide not realizing they just chambered another round.

I don’t know what you do for a living but most of those on the bottom of the bell curve have exactly as much interest in their firearm as you might have in the fire extinguisher in your office or the spare tire in a rental car - i.e. not much until you need it.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-24-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Really? Sig is infamous for not having any institutional memory. Pretty sure Lucas was the lube de jour a couple of years back and guess what Lucas makes:

https://lucasoil.com/products/out-do...ic-gun-cleaner

I haven't done a lot of guns in it but as best I can tell, it is keeping its promise to have rust preventatives and be a one step process.
    Their reason may be BS but they were definitely a “no” on ultrasonics for the P320.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Oklahoma is currently issuing the P320. I don't know if they still allow personally owned weapons.
    I'm a long ways from LE, so it's no surprise I did not know this. I do my best to avoid interactions with OHP. When did they make that switch, and how long ago did they issue Glock 32s? I've got a customer who has an OHP marked G32 he bought off a former trooper.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I'm a long ways from LE, so it's no surprise I did not know this. I do my best to avoid interactions with OHP. When did they make that switch, and how long ago did they issue Glock 32s? I've got a customer who has an OHP marked G32 he bought off a former trooper.

I don’t think they issued G32. He might have had it personally marked that way.

Oklahoma was issuing 686s to Reserve Game Wardens well into the 2000s before switching to the Glock 22. The G22 being the duty pistol of full time wardens.

I thought Sig just didn't want you using ultrasonic cleaners on night sights?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    H&K went the unfortunate route of going too shootable on the trigger from the backlash/unpopularity it suffered with the DA/SA and LEM guns. The one example I handed was in no way shape or form acceptable as a carry gun sans thumb safety. Ditto the PPQ. So, while I really think H&K is unique with the quality of the products, R&D, and QA processes they use, it's simply a shame that their current striker option isn't suitable for anything but shooting at the range (in my opinion, YMMV).
    I kind of feel the same about the P320.

Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    I'll buy the drinks if you'll share that trick!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    I'll see if I can explain it in pics later when I get off work.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    Can't say on the G32. OHP adopted the P320 pretty soon after its introduction. I believe they were one of the first agencies to do so. Sig was in the running with the KHP, but being Sig they completely fucked up the end game. I was enthusiastic about the 320 after shooting every example Sig offered. Some of our firearms cadre were glock fanboys, no matter what. So, it was kind of neck to neck until the drop-safe issue arose. The decision still hadn't been made when Sig claimed the issue was resolved. Consequently, a new day was scheduled for a new round of tests and what did Sig do? They didn't show up. No phone call, email, etc. Just left a bunch of us at the range with our hands in our pockets. Glock it was.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not sure of they mentioned it when you went through the armorer school but when I went through in June last year they specifically advised against use use of ultra sonic cleaners.

Their rationale was that SIG only recommends use of cleaners and lubes specifically made for firearms and there is no ultrasonic leaning fluid specifically for firearms.
    Somewhere along the way here or elsewhere, I remember a pretty brainy discussion of the effects of ultrasonic cleaning on certain types of plated parts and/or in conjunction with certain chemicals. Anyone else?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List