Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nevada Highway Patrol Transitions to SIG P320

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    My notes in red.
    I thought Oklahoma did. At one time I believe OHP had personally owned weapons list. Not sure if they still do.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-the-sig-p320/

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I thought Oklahoma did. At one time I believe OHP had personally owned weapons list. Not sure if they still do.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-the-sig-p320/
    Noted. The article I read appears to be confused about the idea of personally owned/authorized vs issued. Photos seem to indicate P226s as the issued sidearm.

@LockedBreech, seems to be 6 out of 6 State agencies on that list who issue P320s were issuing SIGs before the switch to the P320.

A quick search of local PDs indicates that SIG went heavy with a loss-leader strategy and offered one-for-one trades to PDs at no cost, some of them openly admitting that's the reason they switched pistols.

Kind of just seals it for me that the adoption of the P320 has virtually zilch to do with any of its features outside of possibly a specific few customers.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-24-2020 at 08:55 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Oklahoma is currently issuing the P320. I don't know if they still allow personally owned weapons.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Noted. The article I read appears to be confused about the idea of personally owned/authorized vs issued. Photos seem to indicate P226s as the issued sidearm.

@LockedBreech, seems to be 6 out of 6 State agencies on that list who issue P320s were issuing SIGs before the switch to the P320.

A quick search of local PDs indicates that SIG went heavy with a loss-leader strategy and offered one-for-one trades to PDs at no cost, some of them openly admitting that's the reason they switched pistols.

Kind of just seals it for me that the adoption of the P320 has virtually zilch to do with any of its features outside of possibly a specific few customers.
    You're not wrong....but I think a lot of it has to do with the "not Glock" factor as well. Folks seem to forget the numerous issues Glock has also had throughout the years, and their habit of threatening police armorers/instructors with civil actions if they badmouthed the guns...

And I say this as a guy who likes Glocks. And M&Ps (personal favorite). Even HKs.....though you lot are a bunch of freaking cultists.

ETA: about the ultrasonic question.....our armorers will do it every 10,000 rounds or so on a service, or more often depending on need. Did it to a few dozen academy recruits guns that were subjected to a week long torrential downpour, then put away wet, with predictable results. Did it to one of my 226's that had gone 6000 rounds with no cleaning, and when I disassembled it pieces of carbon were falling out you could hear hitting the table.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    You're not wrong....but I think a lot of it has to do with the "not Glock" factor as well. Folks seem to forget the numerous issues Glock has also had throughout the years, and their habit of threatening police armorers/instructors with civil actions if they badmouthed the guns...

And I say this as a guy who likes Glocks. And M&Ps (personal favorite). Even HKs.....though you lot are a bunch of freaking cultists.
    As an H&K cultist that used to hate on Glocks something harsh, and a guy that is currently super happy with my issued Glock 19M that replaced my SIG P229 that I liked as well.....

….I hadn't heard about Glock threatening lawsuits against armorers for badmouthing their guns! There's certainly a very storied history of Glock using the end-user as beta testers, something that H&K is definitely not in the habit of doing.

H&K went the unfortunate route of going too shootable on the trigger from the backlash/unpopularity it suffered with the DA/SA and LEM guns. The one example I handed was in no way shape or form acceptable as a carry gun sans thumb safety. Ditto the PPQ. So, while I really think H&K is unique with the quality of the products, R&D, and QA processes they use, it's simply a shame that their current striker option isn't suitable for anything but shooting at the range (in my opinion, YMMV).
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

As an H&K cultist that used to hate on Glocks something harsh, and a guy that is currently super happy with my issued Glock 19M that replaced my SIG P229 that I liked as well.....

….I hadn't heard about Glock threatening lawsuits against armorers for badmouthing their guns! There's certainly a very storied history of Glock using the end-user as beta testers, something that H&K is definitely not in the habit of doing.

H&K went the unfortunate route of going too shootable on the trigger from the backlash/unpopularity it suffered with the DA/SA and LEM guns. The one example I handed was in no way shape or form acceptable as a carry gun sans thumb safety. Ditto the PPQ. So, while I really think H&K is unique with the quality of the products, R&D, and QA processes they use, it's simply a shame that their current striker option isn't suitable for anything but shooting at the range (in my opinion, YMMV).

I have owned several VP9/VP9SK pistols and the trigger pull weight was similar to my Gen 5 Glocks and heavier than my PPQ's.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post

And he taught us a great trick for the trigger return spring. I can pop those on and off with no damage and no tools needed.
    I'll buy the drinks if you'll share that trick!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

"I hadn't heard about Glock threatening lawsuits against armorers for badmouthing their guns!"
    Most definitely happened in the dark days of the gen 4 introduction fiasco....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I'm really not at all trying to get out of my lane wrt LEO, but it is really surprising to me that such a big force behind these procurement decisions is whether or not the gun requires a trigger press to disassemble. I realize it may not be a primary decision maker, but the fact it plays such a major role is interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not sure of they mentioned it when you went through the armorer school but when I went through in June last year they specifically advised against use use of ultra sonic cleaners. ... Their rationale was that SIG only recommends use of cleaners and lubes specifically made for firearms and there is no ultrasonic leaning fluid specifically for firearms.
    Really? Sig is infamous for not having any institutional memory. Pretty sure Lucas was the lube de jour a couple of years back and guess what Lucas makes:

https://lucasoil.com/products/out-do...ic-gun-cleaner

I haven't done a lot of guns in it but as best I can tell, it is keeping its promise to have rust preventatives and be a one step process.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List