Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nevada Highway Patrol Transitions to SIG P320

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    And from what I've picked up anecdotally, trigger group issues are resolved by the mothership simply swapping out trigger groups en bloc, as opposed to encouraging actual armorer dinking around at the individual component level to achieve necessary repairs-HCM and lwt16 (and other willing to chime in), is this what you're experiencing?
    I went through armorer's school the week the drop-safe issue made itself known. I'm hoping to recert this summer and get the updates for the added parts.

Any way, we played with the "sear box" but were strongly encouraged to stay out of it. The only reason I could see for someone to root around in there is trigger enhancement. I'd trust Bruce Gray to do it but Officer Bubba should keep his hands and punches out of it. Realistically, the trigger is "good enough" that only competition guys might see some benefit from mucking with it.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The point that John Hearne makes about the ease of cleaning the trigger group module via ultrasound is huge; I suspect that that takes the resource time required per gun close to, if not bettering Glock's. And from what I've picked up anecdotally, trigger group issues are resolved by the mothership simply swapping out trigger groups en bloc, as opposed to encouraging actual armorer dinking around at the individual component level to achieve necessary repairs-HCM and lwt16 (and other willing to chime in), is this what you're experiencing?

Best, Jon
    How many departments are actually conducting any sort of regular ultrasonic cleaning on a systematic level that makes it a legitimate reason to buy the gun?

How many departments are so backlogged on pistol repairs that they are unable to maintain force readiness?

Again, goes back to my point that the platform might have all sorts of neat features compared to other striker fired polymer pistols......but pretty much none of them are actually meaningful. They're just "neat", are likely completely under-or-unutilized, and the real reason for agencies buying them (I hypothesize) is because they already have SIGs, want to stay with the company/support network they already know, and so they buy the polymer pistol that SIG has to sell.

I guess about the only exception to that would be if an agency had a "no trigger pull for disassembly" rule. How many of the agencies adopting them have that rule?
    Last edited by TGS; 02-24-2020 at 06:22 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    This thread prompted me to call the latest SIG factory rep and he is going to stop by my department later today for an introduction.

Anything you guys want me to ask him?
    Why Sig can't keep trigger return springs in stock?

I sent them an email today. I need 30-40 copies. Part 22 on their website schematic.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I went through armorer's school the week the drop-safe issue made itself known. I'm hoping to recert this summer and get the updates for the added parts.

Any way, we played with the "sear box" but were strongly encouraged to stay out of it. The only reason I could see for someone to root around in there is trigger enhancement. I'd trust Bruce Gray to do it but Officer Bubba should keep his hands and punches out of it. Realistically, the trigger is "good enough" that only competition guys might see some benefit from mucking with it.
    I can tear a P320 down to the bits in no time now. Full disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly in less than an hour.

My armorer instructor was pretty good. An excellent teacher with calm demeanor. The sear assembly isn't that bad once you get the hang of it and learn the tricks. I never find much grime in them but still bust them apart.

And he taught us a great trick for the trigger return spring. I can pop those on and off with no damage and no tools needed.

I detail cleaned one yesterday before church while enjoying my morning coffee. 2300 round mark and it really wasn't that dirty. Replaced the trigger return spring as it was not what it once was. The owner does quite a lot of dry fire in addition to live fire. His was an early copy that had to go back for the upgrade/recall.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Why Sig can't keep trigger return springs in stock?

I sent them an email today. I need 30-40 copies. Part 22 on their website schematic.
    I just sent you a PM.

I just sent you a PM.
    Thank you.

Just for giggles I timed myself jus now on a detail strip of a P320

Name:  68180A52-A67C-46E5-80A4-C2F1D1A8A897.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  9F752BF2-7407-4E80-A4F6-3C04D9904219.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  2FFF7BAD-E0F8-4591-B9F9-F9407CDB85E2.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  32.1 KB

No cleaning though. Takes me less than 20 minutes.

Regards.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    This thread prompted me to call the latest SIG factory rep and he is going to stop by my department later today for an introduction.

Anything you guys want me to ask him?
    Yeah....ask him what time hes gonna be in SF tomorrow! Hasn't returned my email about the appointment time!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I am aware that the P320 & M17/18 cause a lot of heartburn to forum members. However, for an agency the design has certain compelling features.

Not only do you not have to pull the trigger to field strip it but you also cannot begin disassembly until the magazine is removed as well. For liability conscious admin types, the safer design can be compelling.

The pistol is very easy to service, especially if you have an ultrasonic. You can field strip it, pop the firing control module out and pull the striker/extractor apart in the blink of an eye. You run that in an ultrasonic. When done, you blow it out with air and reassemble. There are no pins to drive out, you just push in a plunger.

The modular part is nice but I don't see parts being swapped around that much. I see the modular design being used to facilitate rapid maintenance.
    Not sure of they mentioned it when you went through the armorer school but when I went through in June last year they specifically advised against use use of ultra sonic cleaners.

Their rationale was that SIG only recommends use of cleaners and lubes specifically made for firearms and there is no ultrasonic leaning fluid specifically for firearms.

I've never seen a department clean by ultrasound. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but in nearly thirty years I never saw it.

When we T&E'd the P230 I was a big fan. I loved the way the large grip module fit my hand and it shot very well. This was before the whole drop-safe fiasco. However, I think all of the P230's supposed advantages really don't amount to much in reality, in either military or LE application. Most of them simply won't be utilized. In the end, the P230 can't do anything on an institutional level the Glock isn't already doing.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I've never seen a department clean by ultrasound. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but in nearly thirty years I never saw it.

When we T&E'd the P230 I was a big fan. I loved the way the large grip module fit my hand and it shot very well. This was before the whole drop-safe fiasco. However, I think all of the P230's supposed advantages really don't amount to much in reality, in either military or LE application. Most of them simply won't be utilized. In the end, the P230 can't do anything on an institutional level the Glock isn't already doing.
    I’m not trying to be a smart ass - but since you were in LE back when the P230 was popular, are you referencing the .380? Or was that a typo and you meant the P320?

User Tag List