Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good value (sub $1k) scope for a match barrel AR?

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I’ve got a SWFA SS 3-15. I think it is a good scope for the money at the upper end of its magnification. At the lower end, the reticle is almost too fine and can be difficult to see.

I’m very happy with the tracking of the turrets. The close range (6m to infinity) adjustable objective is nice for my purpose, which is on a .22.

Attachment 49102

I have that exact stock. It’s wonderful.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'm seeing some great deals on the Viper PST Gen 1... what do people think about the 6-24 at ~$500? EBR-1 reticle, FFP.
    I have at least 5 of the VVPST Gen 1 FFP MRADs across multiple rifles. I paid $700 to $750 for those several years ago. It is a great scope for $500 and if you decide you want something "better" later you can get most of your money out of that scope on resale. I used a VVPST Gen 1 6-24 FFP on my custom 6.5 CM out to 1200 yards in Tennessee. There are better scopes out there but they cost significantly more than $500.

Site Supporter
    Name:  AccurateOrdnance6.5KRGBravoK&MMar2019.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  59.0 KB

Here is a VVPST Gen 1 FFP MRAD at K&M Precision 1200 yard range

Site Supporter
    Name:  PSA 224V upper.jpg
Size:  101.0 KB

Another VVPST Gen 1 6-24x50 FFP MRAD on an AR 20 inch 224V

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Name:  PSA 224V upper.jpg
Size:  101.0 KB

Another VVPST Gen 1 6-24x50 FFP MRAD on an AR 20 inch 224V
    Well... pulled the proverbial trigger on this exact model (FFP MRAD 6-24x50), with the EB2C reticle. Couldn't resist the savings. The Burris may be $250 nicer, but that's money I was able to spend on the mount, lens caps and throw lever instead. Pretty stoked! Will be a big upgrade over the Leupy. Hoping I can sell the thing $300 or so.

I immediately thought of the Vortex PST Gen 2 for that price range. I liked my PST gen 1 so much I bought a Razr HD gen 2 for my next step up.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    I've never actually tried the less expensive scopes in the Vortex line, but based on my experience with their Razor products as well as their customer service, I would go Vortex Viper (or even Diamondback Tactical if further budget-squeezed) without blinking.

I would not want to be without the flexibility of FFP at higher magnifications. That is too much of a handicap for my personal preferences.
    There is a tremendous difference between the Razor and the other offerings in the Vortex line. You can’t recommend the Diamond Back or even Viper line because you had a good experience with the Razor.

I have a Viper PST Gen 1 that I got LEO pricing on. I think it’s a fair scope at a discount pricing but nothing special at retail. If you can find a good price it might be a decent value.

I have used Vortex spotters, bins, and scopes in the Vioer and cheaper range. I think they are generally overrated. They no-fault warranty was genius. It’s bought them a lot of good will among customers.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    There is a tremendous difference between the Razor and the other offerings in the Vortex line. You can’t recommend the Diamond Back or even Viper line because you had a good experience with the Razor.

I have a Viper PST Gen 1 that I got LEO pricing on. I think it’s a fair scope at a discount pricing but nothing special at retail. If you can find a good price it might be a decent value.

I have used Vortex spotters, bins, and scopes in the Vioer and cheaper range. I think they are generally overrated. They no-fault warranty was genius. It’s bought them a lot of good will among customers.
    Obviously I don't have my new scope yet so it's hard to compare, but I do have Gen 1 and Gen 2 PST 1-4 and 1-6 LPVOs, respectively.

There is clearly a huge quality difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 scopes (also a big weight difference, too!). I didn't pay retail for the Gen 1 LPVO and wouldn't have been tempted to pay retail for the Gen 1 6-24 either, but at clearance prices they're hard to pass up. Don't think I'd go any cheaper than the Viper line with Vortex products.

Site Supporter
    Old School Edge of Lane Response

In the sub 1K scope space-the choice was Leupold given their overall quality, CS and warranty.

Budgeteers often picked the in house SWA offerings with good success.

FWIW

Site Supporter
    Can’t think of a better scope for $500. I had two Gen 1 PSTs (mrad FFP) and really liked them. I sold them for a Bushnell HDMR on a recommendation from an actual sniper for the turret durability and to get the horus reticle. For paper punching, I’m not sure I needed to upgrade. I was a little disappointed as the PST had better clarity, contrast, light transmission at top magnification, a more forgiving eyebox, and illumination when compared to the DMR. I will say that the Busnell measured more exact and had a zero stop. But I think the PST is a great scope for $500. I liked mine enough that I think a Gen 2 will be on my next build. I’m also looking at a Gen 1 Razor too. Hmmmmm

User Tag List