Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good value (sub $1k) scope for a match barrel AR?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

Good value (sub $1k) scope for a match barrel AR?

Title says it all. I have RRA Predator Pursuit upper with a 20" Natl. Match Bbl that is a peach to shoot. Currently it wears a Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9.

While I love the gun, I am a little underwhelmed by the scope - particularly its magnification. This gun is purely built for paper punching so 9x high end magnification feels a little weak, particularly as I get out past 300 yards.

Currently looking into replacing the Leupold with 3-15x or comparable variable power scope. It's an RRA and I am not using this rifle for competition, so I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I am hoping a good value can be had in the sub-$1k range. I'm not in a rush so I am OK waiting around for a good deal to come by.

Not really sure if I feel strongly about FFP with this gun (seems unlikely I would need to worry about calculating bullet drop at less than full mag) but I am open to being convinced that I am wrong about this. Sort of seems like I can get better glass for the money if I settle for an SFP scope.

Top contenders right now are the Vortex Viper series as well as the SWFA SS 3-15, but open to any/all suggestions. Thanks!

Site Supporter
    I freely admit I tend to buy "cheaper" scopes.
    1) I have very good results with the Vortex Viper PST Gen 1 FFP in 6-24x50 but they also offer lower magnification versions. The Gen 1 are now "out of production" but NIB still show up at very good pricing. I have VVPST Gen 1 6-24x50 on multiple AR uppers in 223, 6.5 Grendel, and 224 Valkyrie.
    2) Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 FFP can be found less than $1k.
    3) I have found deals on Burris XTRII scopes - in my case the 5-25x50 FFP - for less than $1k.

My 6.5 Grendel has the Burris XTRii 3-15x50, and it’s outstanding. The glass is bright and crisp. Way better than I expected for a ‘cheaper’ scope. Very rugged construction as well.

FFP is about more than calculating bullet drop. I use a FFP Mil reticle for wind holds, moving targets, and correcting for misses.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I've never actually tried the less expensive scopes in the Vortex line, but based on my experience with their Razor products as well as their customer service, I would go Vortex Viper (or even Diamondback Tactical if further budget-squeezed) without blinking.

I would not want to be without the flexibility of FFP at higher magnifications. That is too much of a handicap for my personal preferences.

Athalon is releasing the 2nd Gen Ares BTR 2.5-15. It should be out soon. A lot of people were very pleased with the first Gen.

Leupold VX5 3-15 is close to your range depending on reticle. Great glass and great warranty.

https://www.eurooptic.com/leupold-vx...flescopes.aspx

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'm seeing some great deals on the Viper PST Gen 1... what do people think about the 6-24 at ~$500? EBR-1 reticle, FFP.

XTR ii 3-15x50 FFP SCR Mil Reticle
    $745
    https://www.primaryarms.com/201034

IMO, this is a much better scope than the Viper Gen1.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I’ve got a SWFA SS 3-15. I think it is a good scope for the money at the upper end of its magnification. At the lower end, the reticle is almost too fine and can be difficult to see.

I’m very happy with the tracking of the turrets. The close range (6m to infinity) adjustable objective is nice for my purpose, which is on a .22.

Name:  49A5C172-A680-47FE-A6EA-478D46E82142.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  80.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    XTR ii 3-15x50 FFP SCR Mil Reticle
    $745
    https://www.primaryarms.com/201034

IMO, this is a much better scope than the Viper Gen1.
    Yup, solid recommendation.
    #RESIST

User Tag List