Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major New Study: How Your Eyes Can Cast Your Fate In A Gunfight

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    However, I find now that I have become habituated to aligning the sights while focused on the target, I can shoot pretty much as accurately with target focus.

I'll bet the officers in the study were using the sights to line up the gun, just not by staring directly at the front sight post.
    This is exactly my situation without wearing corrective lenses.

I've been near-sighted since first grade and have worn corrective lenses all my life (I turn 66 next month). Over the last ten years my vision has improved considerably and though I still need glasses for perfect distance vision, I can definitely function (like driving) without them.

Without glasses the sights are well-focused and the target clear enough to hit it where I aim, so "target focus" for me is looking/focusing solely on the target and then bringing the sights into my line of vision. At that point since the sights are better focused than the target, I find myself taking a split-second to overlay the sight picture on the target, at which point I can see both the sights and the target equally well. When I began shooting over 40 years ago, this was not possible - either the sights or the target was in focus, not both at the same time.

This is something I'm looking to leverage with my shooting skills. I believe taking the extra split second to perfectly align the sights without having to shift my focus from the target is better than not visually referencing the sights at all.

Site Supporter
    Way back in the dark ages (1977) at Gunsite, Cooper explained the reason for looking at your sights for every shot fired in practice (emphasis on the front sight) was to teach your hands, arms, and shoulders how to align the gun with where you were looking. With sufficient practice and discipline the gun would always be presented to point at the intended target. The "flash sight picture" was simply to confirm the proper alignment.

His teaching back then seems to fit perfectly with the recommendations of this study.

Dave

It’s common for both bad guys and good guys in FOF SIM training to be hit in the hands.

Thank you for sharing this OP, great stuff.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiman View Post
    It’s common for both bad guys and good guys in FOF SIM training to be hit in the hands.
    It is but it declines the higher the skill an experience level of the participants,

Quote Originally Posted by Jiman View Post
    Some of this is due to the fact that your hands are in front of you blocking the upper thoracic area in force on force and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Some of this is due to the fact that your hands are in front of you blocking the upper thoracic area in force on force and is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Totally agree, that was what I was trying to convey in my previous post regarding your eyes, what you see, and the tendency for your hands to go where you’re looking. Combine a target focus with that, which is what generally happens in close engagements, results in getting headshots, upper thoracic and knuckle busters.

IME, target focus is directly proportional to distance/stress. The closer the engagement, the higher the stress and more likely target focus will be the natural presentation. Threats that are further away tend to cause less stress giving us time to focus on sights.

User Tag List