Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun 407K vs 507K

Holosun 407K vs 507K

First off, has anyone actually seen either of these in the wild?

Second, they appear to be pretty much the same sight with different reticles. Which would you gents prefer for EDC, a 36MOA circle / 2MOA dot or a 6 MOA dot on a 9mm pistol?

FWIW, the 407k is $70 cheaper than the more complex 507k

I would go with the 407K.

I never use the circle/dot on my 507, mainly because the larger reticle lowers the brightness the equivelant of about one click, and in the bright Southwest sun you need every bit of brightness you can get. If you live in a less bright place it would still be worth considering but I doubt the big circle will make any big difference either good or bad, particularly if you have a rock solid index.

Also, 6 moa seems about ideal for a subcompact pistol. That is still 6" at 100yds which is probably more precise than any subcompact pistol is capable of, and certainly more precise than 99.9% of shooters could shoot one offhand.

I would be interested to compare the two side by side and see if the 507k with just the 2moa dot is brighter or the same as the 6moa dot on the 407k at max brightness

I like the idea of a 6 moa dot. I am curious to see if the 6 moa dot is as crisp as their 2 moa dots. I could do without the circle reticle. On both of my samples, the circle reticle has been asymmetrical and crooked. It bugs me... I sent one back because of it and the one I received looked the same. (508t)

Thanks guys!

I have used the HS507C on my G19 since early January and the dot is clearer to me than the Aimpoint, EOTech, or SIG sights I’ve used prior. FWIW I use the dot only but I find the circle is canted to the left slightly. It would be nice if they dropped the EOTech style circle and went with a slightly smaller “Donut of Death”, say 18 MOA with thicker circle wall and no hash marks.

I intend on buying either of the K sights and having it direct milled on my 9mm Commander size Ruger SR1911. I’m getting to the age where seeing that front sight clearly isn’t a sure thing. I plan on using the vestigial rear sight on the HS407/507K with a correctly sized white outlined tritium front sight as BUIS.

I would go with the 407K. After using a 6.5MOA and a 2MOA dot, I think the larger dot is simply easier to find. It gives up nothing for precision on a handgun in my experience (identical results on a B8 at 25). I find the 32MOA circle to be too busy and impede precision at 15+ yards.

There is one possible advantage to using a more busy reticle; based on my experience with holosun/primary arms 20mm dot sights, the ACSS reticle seems nearly impossible to confuse with the strange red 'visual artifacts' that can result from having the sun at low angles through the sight. Sometimes the sun can create artifacts that could be confused with a 2MOA dot. It's less of a problem on a rifle because it's easier to line up with a cheekweld, but it's still a potential problem.

I'm not sure this is a problem with the 407k, but based on reading different threads, it seems a problem that many sights are prone to. Somebody mentioned this issue specifically with one of the larger Holosun pistol sights. My theory is that a more complex reticle will be less prone to being confused with a sun-induced visual artifact.

I've been meaning to test this in low light with bright flashlights and car headlights, but I keep forgetting to. Just food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    There is one possible advantage to using a more busy reticle; based on my experience with holosun/primary arms 20mm dot sights, the ACSS reticle seems nearly impossible to confuse with the strange red 'visual artifacts' that can result from having the sun at low angles through the sight. Sometimes the sun can create artifacts that could be confused with a 2MOA dot. It's less of a problem on a rifle because it's easier to line up with a cheekweld, but it's still a potential problem.

I'm not sure this is a problem with the 407k, but based on reading different threads, it seems a problem that many sights are prone to. Somebody mentioned this issue specifically with one of the larger Holosun pistol sights. My theory is that a more complex reticle will be less prone to being confused with a sun-induced visual artifact.

I've been meaning to test this in low light with bright flashlights and car headlights, but I keep forgetting to. Just food for thought.
    I will be willing to test this as well, next time the sun is out and I am not at work.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    I would go with the 407K.

I never use the circle/dot on my 507, mainly because the larger reticle lowers the brightness the equivelant of about one click, and in the bright Southwest sun you need every bit of brightness you can get. If you live in a less bright place it would still be worth considering but I doubt the big circle will make any big difference either good or bad, particularly if you have a rock solid index.

Also, 6 moa seems about ideal for a subcompact pistol. That is still 6" at 100yds which is probably more precise than any subcompact pistol is capable of, and certainly more precise than 99.9% of shooters could shoot one offhand.

I would be interested to compare the two side by side and see if the 507k with just the 2moa dot is brighter or the same as the 6moa dot on the 407k at max brightness
    I'd like to add that a 6 MOA dot is also 1.5" at 25 yards which is the maximum distance I would ever shoot a pistol at especially less a compact pistol that would have the 407K on it. In closer it covers even less of the target.

For me larger dots also look better with my astigmatism across all the brightness ranges so I just tend to favor them on everything. Honestly 6 MOA isn't out of place on a rifle for home/self defense either because as you said it's still only 6 inches at 100 yards and 12 inches at 200 yards so the dot would still be smaller than a human shaped target. I secretly crave the older 6 MOA Aimpoints for my rifle because it's faster and still more precise than any iron sights; and if I wanted to shoot a rifle past 200 yards on the regular I'd put a magnified optic on it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    I'd like to add that a 6 MOA dot is also 1.5" at 25 yards which is the maximum distance I would ever shoot a pistol at especially less a compact pistol that would have the 407K on it. In closer it covers even less of the target.

For me larger dots also look better with my astigmatism across all the brightness ranges so I just tend to favor them on everything. Honestly 6 MOA isn't out of place on a rifle for home/self defense either because as you said it's still only 6 inches at 100 yards and 12 inches at 200 yards so the dot would still be smaller than a human shaped target. I secretly crave the older 6 MOA Aimpoints for my rifle because it's faster and still more precise than any iron sights; and if I wanted to shoot a rifle past 200 yards on the regular I'd put a magnified optic on it anyway.
    I believe they intend to launch them sometime in May. I just sold my Romeo0 to a coworker today. I'm planning on getting the 407k at this point. 6 moa dot just seems to really work. With that being said I have a 507c ordered for my x5 Legion. I'll try to remember to post back if I change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshmill View Post
    I believe they intend to launch them sometime in May. I just sold my Romeo0 to a coworker today. I'm planning on getting the 407k at this point. 6 moa dot just seems to really work. With that being said I have a 507c ordered for my x5 Legion. I'll try to remember to post back if I change my mind.
    As of this moment I’m leaning toward the 407 however I believe the COVID19 craziness will probably put the kaibosh on a lot of Chinese products for a while. It may be some time before we see them.

User Tag List