Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun 407K vs 507K

My 365 slide came back from Maple Leaf Monday and I mounted the 507k I had sitting idle for the last 4 weeks. Zeroed it Tuesday and then came to realize that the shake awake doesn't work, even with a vigorous whack. I'm trying to decide whether I should send it back for warranty work/replacement or just disable the sleep mode and run it on manual. It's easy enough to just turn off at night and turn back on in the morning when I'm getting dressed. I guess I can make the argument that since shake awake doesn't work there may be other hidden issues, and since I have my Hellcat with a 507k I can certainly live without the 365 for however long it takes Holosun to turn it around.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCutter View Post
    My 365 slide came back from Maple Leaf Monday and I mounted the 507k I had sitting idle for the last 4 weeks. Zeroed it Tuesday and then came to realize that the shake awake doesn't work, even with a vigorous whack. I'm trying to decide whether I should send it back for warranty work/replacement or just disable the sleep mode and run it on manual. It's easy enough to just turn off at night and turn back on in the morning when I'm getting dressed. I guess I can make the argument that since shake awake doesn't work there may be other hidden issues, and since I have my Hellcat with a 507k I can certainly live without the 365 for however long it takes Holosun to turn it around.
    My warranty turnaround with them is not going fast, I started on Sept 1 and still have not received a replacement. Since you said you have another optic, best to send it in as there's no need to tolerate a feature that doesn't work for how much these cost. My new take on Holosun is I won't send one in for warranty unless I have a replacement backup in hand to swap out.
    Last edited by stomridertx; 09-20-2020 at 12:53 AM.

I don't know what exactly happened, if anything, but I disabled the sleep mode then turned it back on set for 10 minutes, and now shake awake seems to be working like a charm. Honestly, when it's in my pocket it will never go to sleep anyway, so I guess I just need to verify it wakes up before I stick it in my pocket for the day. I'm kind of looking forward to cooler weather and sweatshirts so I can go back to my USPC9 OWB.

I picked up a 507k a few weeks back and sent my 365 slide to Maple Leaf. Just got the slide back and when I went to install the optic I found that I had two sets of screws with different thread pitches, both of which were wrong for the cut from Maple Leaf. I ended up grabbing a set from a 507c that I have on a C&H plate (which came with it's own screws and they worked fine. As near as I can tell, one of the included sets was a size too large and the other a size too small. Very odd.

I was also disappointed to find that the cut from Maple Leaf was not deep enough to use the factory irons. I'm sure this was unavoidable, but I wish their site would have said so so I could have weighed my options for new irons. I am still trying to sort that out but am teaching rifle stuff at work this week on evening hours so I haven't had time.

I did hastily zero it today (no rest used) and then put up a 275 FBI Bullseye with a notable left dispersion. It's probably a 290+ gun for me once I can get the zero hammered out. Also hit some 100 yard 2/3 IPSC size steel with it. Petty impressive stuff.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Just had to replace the Duracell 1632 in my 407k after a week of it mostly sitting in a drawer. One range trip. WTF.
    The CR1632 has a typical capacity of 130 mAh:

https://data.energizer.com/PDFs/cr1632.pdf

...which is about 100 mAh less than a typical 2032.

As the 407K does not appear to have an auto-adjust feature on it, if you don't dial the optic down when it's not in use it's going to eat that capacity quick. Looking at the specs, the optic has 8 daylight settings. Setting "6" is advertised at 50,000 hours...and that's probably true. Every setting higher than that consumes exponentially more power. If left on the highest setting, you're looking at a battery life measured in days.

You likely need the highest setting to see the dot when shooting in daylight on a typical outdoor range.

The lack of a blue lens tint means the LED has to use more power to project a visible dot.

To be blunt, you have an optic that works about the same as the Aimpoint ACRO if the "shake awake" feature isn't working properly. The ACRO is a very good optic, but the design of the thing requires use of a very small battery with about half the capacity of the typical CR2032 battery. It is also manual adjustment only. If you want to use the 407K and the pistol it is mounted on as daily carry, you are going to have to adopt a proactive battery management strategy similar to what works for the ACRO:

- Turn the dot down when the pistol is not being carried
    - Turn the dot up as you put the pistol on
    - Proactively change the battery every 30 days
    - Keep spare batteries handy

Shake awake is nice, but I wouldn't rely on it. Let's be real: Batteries are cheap and replacing them on the optics you don't have to dismount is easy. So it makes sense to mitigate possible battery failure with proactive replacement.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 09-23-2020 at 08:59 AM.
    3/15/2016

407k in stock. Posted from r/gundeals and a few got tracking numbers so it seems legit.

HAVE15 for $15 off

https://www.opticsplanet.com/holosun...dot-sight.html
    Last edited by P226SAOFan; 09-24-2020 at 04:01 PM.

Today my 407K dot is flashing, letting me know the battery is low.

This gun has sat unmoving in the safe for most of the week.

Three days ago I reset the brightness level to 7 and verified the shake-awake is powering down the dot. Replacing the battery again today, so I've been getting ~ 1 week. This time I'll use the Energizer it came with.

As soon as BigTex gets another one in I'll buy a second and send this one back to Holosun.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    Today my 407K dot is flashing, letting me know the battery is low.

This gun has sat unmoving in the safe for most of the week.

Three days ago I reset the brightness level to 7 and verified the shake-awake is powering down the dot. Replacing the battery again today, so I've been getting ~ 1 week. This time I'll use the Energizer it came with.

As soon as BigTex gets another one in I'll buy a second and send this one back to Holosun.
    Sounds like a serious parasitic drain... First I've heard of this in a Holosun.

Still waiting to find a 407K-x2 in stock before sending this one back. Until then... running it on brightness setting #7 with battery change every Sunday because that's when the reticle starts flashing to warn me it's about to tap out. Duracell seems to last one day longer than energizer. Whoopee.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Sounds like a serious parasitic drain... First I've heard of this in a Holosun.

FWIW, I proactively replaced my battery in my 407K at 45 days. I typically use it at one click from max, with occasional drops to down 3 or down 4 at night. I do use shake-awake and have had no issues with it. At 45 days, I had no indications of battery failure. Battery was a Duracell. I carry the gun from about 7am to 7pm M-F, and also on whatever I’m doing on the weekends.

My 507K is on the original battery, but that lives on my practice gun and so shake awake should theoretically be keeping it off. Last I checked it was still going.

User Tag List