Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you thought the war on fat and veganism was just for fun...

Despite my earlier joke......

I have friends that due to health or religious reasons eat a pretty strict plant-based diet. One is a member here.

One of my most trusted minions is also a vegan. She's not crazy about proselytizing that, and accommodating her needs when we go for a team lunch of not a problem. She has a pet pig named Becky who is sweet, affectionate and very smart. She's probably pretty tasty as well, but I'll never know.

I make a point of not eating a blood-rare steak in front of my Hindi friends, and they refrain from picketing my back patio on the weekend.

Respect - it's a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Despite my earlier joke......

I have friends that due to health or religious reasons eat a pretty strict plant-based diet. One is a member here.

One of my most trusted minions is also a vegan. She's not crazy about proselytizing that, and accommodating her needs when we go for a team lunch of not a problem. She has a pet pig named Becky who is sweet, affectionate and very smart. She's probably pretty tasty as well, but I'll never know.

I make a point of not eating a blood-rare steak in front of my Hindi friends, and they refrain from picketing my back patio on the weekend.

Respect - it's a thing.
    My wife goes back an forth with the vegan thing. She just ate a salad for breakfast. I do meat occasionally for brunch. I need some meat or fish for dinner tho or I'll die.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

Respect - it's a thing.
    Always. I’ve regularly gone out to eat with a wide variety of vegan friends for decades; they order what they order, and I order what I order. No problem.

For that matter, the regular need for compromise amongst groups of artists with a variety of dietary restrictions traditionally leads to some truly excellent restaurants as a solution. If everyone is happy, everyone is typically *very* happy, in my experience.

So long as folks make their choices in an informed and conscious manner, I’ve got no beef (heh) with that.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Make no mistake, liberals are fascists that want to control every aspect of your life and climate change is an excellent excuse to do just that.
    The most plausible conspiracy theory I've heard is one in which "The Global Elite" uses climate change as an excuse to do away with internal combustion engines (except for them). Coal/Natural Gas fired electric plants (except for them), a meat based diet (except for them) and implements mandatory population control (except for them) in the named of saving the planet.

The theory ends with just enough of the have nots left to keep the machines running for the Nomenklatura who hoard the resources for them and their families.

I have no problem believing there are people who are really planning something similar and I have no problem believing Blumberg is one of them. I also have no problem believing this is the real rationale behind the global push to disarm the "little people".

Site Supporter
    I'm pretty much "live and let live" about diet. I do get somewhat...testy...when someone tells me being an omnivore is immoral.

You can be healthy on a vegan or vegetarian diet. It just takes a lot more work, especially in terms of protein sources. OTOH, it's true that most Americans eat more meat than they need and not enough veggies, and way too much heavily processed food.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    It's why school lunches and offal snacks are crap.
    FIFY.

*Sorry Baldanders. Between you and blues, I've been rendered nearly incorrigible when it comes to restraining the use of not-so-subtle humor.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Make no mistake, liberals are fascists that want to control every aspect of your life and climate change is an excellent excuse to do just that.
    This is just one more reason that I enjoy my ketogenic diet so much. Drives the libs nuts.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    FIFY.

*Sorry Baldanders. Between you and blues, I've been rendered nearly incorrigible when it comes to restraining the use of not-so-subtle humor.
    Offal isn't awful.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Offal isn't awful.
    It puts the Mmmmmmm in menudo
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Always. I’ve regularly gone out to eat with a wide variety of vegan friends for decades; they order what they order, and I order what I order. No problem.

For that matter, the regular need for compromise amongst groups of artists with a variety of dietary restrictions traditionally leads to some truly excellent restaurants as a solution. If everyone is happy, everyone is typically *very* happy, in my experience.

So long as folks make their choices in an informed and conscious manner, I’ve got no beef (heh) with that.
    I am a happy omnivore! Nothing wrong with vegan/vegetarian food...as long as it's not trying to be meat. Tofu is great in the right dish, but I don't want it in my hot dog.

And don't get me started on the hi-tech fake meat with heme in it to fake blood. Just wrong.

And then there's Indian vegetarian food. So loaded with butter and other dairy that I really don't want any meat with it, as I end consuming an insane amout of animal fat in one meal.

Hell, I just ate like an asshole at the Cook-Out, chicken strips and fried sides, and I am looking forward to eggplant curry tonight.

Capitalism means variety. I take advantage of it.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List