Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: If you thought the war on fat and veganism was just for fun...

CWM11B
    Westman doesnt call for all meat and nothing else. I would agree that would not be healthy. I know folks who have been following his plan for years and have reversed many issues and come off of medications. He's a good guy. I have a family member who is a patient of his.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    It can make sense in the short term(sometimes), but I don't know of anyone on a high-animal fat for many decades who is in great shape, or any traditional diet than seems to have good outcomes that is based on such.

It does beat lots of simple carbs and sugar with low-fat, no doubt. Fat in general has been unfairly demonized. But saturated fat is clearly linked with heart disease.

And my own diet is heavy on the animal fat. But I am planning on shifting that. Or I may end up testing Westman's theories.

100% meat is still definitely insane. Unless someone can explain how we can synthesize Vitamin C.

There's an emperor has no clothes moment that's long overdue here.

What's the purpose of science? Is it not to accurately describe how the real world works?
    If the accepted theory clearly isn't working out in the real word, then doesn't that indicate that something is wrong with the theory?

It's becoming comical to me that those stuck on the modern nutrition conventional wisdom are upset that a contrarian nutritional approach works in practice, because it doesn't work in theory. That sounds like dogma instead of science.

To wit...one of the oldest known (but largely forgotten or ignored) cures for scurvy is fresh meat. I could give example after example of this (Napoleon, the Endurance: Shackleton's expedition, Stephenson, northern latitude hunter/gatherers, and people like me).

What seems to be the case is that
    a) glucose and vitamin C compete. If you aren't burning as much glucose, the vitamin C demand is much less than those on a high carb diet
    b) there is some (enough) vitamin C in fresh meat, despite what the labels say

I've eaten between zero (like the last month) and nearly zero (maybe a serving per week) fruits or vegetables for the last 18 months, and I don't take any vitamins or supplements of any kind. Here's the result...not only is there no scurvy, but my gums stopped bleeding for the first time in my life, an I don't make plaque.
    I don't have any health problems of any kind. I'll be 45 in a few days, am an Infantryman that has no muscle/skeletal problems....and stronger and leaner, as fast with better endurance than ever. Never had better energy levels. Or better sleep. My skin problems are gone. Haven't been sick started eating this way (knock on wood). I'm approaching a 2.5x bodyweight squat, still do 10 mile runs...and my knees don't hurt anymore. I recover like a much younger man. hmm.

Again, doctors tell me I should be dead. There are plenty like me, and more all the time.

Here's more examples, each with decades of carnivory: Stafansson. "The Bear" (Oswley Stanley). Charles Washington. Amber O'Hearne. There are more.
    And there's at least tens of thousands of us between the 1-3 year mark doing ridiculously well. No shortage of really elite athletes as well. If there's a problem (and maybe there is), I'm still looking for evidence of what it is.

What the do doctors know really about nutrition anyway? They know plenty to be sure, but how much is true, functional, or even remotely stands the test of time?
    Look around. How well is that advice working out? Why is it exactly that we accept it?
    Reminds me much of Reagan's line about the scariest words in the English language. ("I'm from the gov't, and I'm here to help").

Seems to me the track record of doctors and nutritionists, on balance, is abysmal.

The deeper I look into the scientific basis for our nutritional guidelines, the less impressive it looks. Mostly poor quality epidemiology, and unsupportable assertions that don't match obvious real word observations.

Here's something to consider....the population of Hong Kong has arguably longer lifespan than any country...yet eats about 1.5 lbs meat/person/day (way in excess of the U.S.). French...far more saturated fat, way less heart disease (and they aren't alone in Europe). Kitavans...high carb, but also very high saturated fat (largely from coconut)...yet nearly zero heart disease. Examples like that abound.

Only in the world of nutrition "science" is it okay to just call that a paradox, and just wave it off to be ignored. Science? Hah!

I get that my approach sounds absurd to modern ears, and utterly contrarian. It did to me at first too. Then I started reading and thinking. History, anthropology, reports of European explorers among indigenous hunter/gatherers in northern climates. Just how would a person survive in say southeast Alaska (where I grew up) pre white man, pre agriculture? I'd personally heard that a man could live exclusively off seal.
    Best I can tell, most of those people thrived on a radically different diet that doesn't even come close to modern recommendations. They did far better, and were more impressive physical specimens than most Europeans.
    Ditto many of the plains Indians. I could go on and on.

So does it any sense to blame modern chronic diseases on ancient foods?
    There've been (an in some cases continues to be) populations out there with way higher consumption of red meat, and saturated fat, with low to no evidence of heart disease.

And no, I don't think that carnivory is THE way to eat and be healthy. But it strongly appears to be A WAY to live well for many people.
    And it shows that our current accepted understanding of nutrition CAN'T be right.

Here's my simple north star for nutritional guidance. Does a plan make any sense from a evolutionary perspective? If not, it's highly suspect. What we're being told to accept by our experts is so far out of whack with how most of us got here, and the results so completely unsatisfactory, its dumbfounding.

The emperor has no clothes.

One for @TBone550
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It all leads to soylent green.
    Does human fertilizer count?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...state-n1008606

My dad is a vegetarian. Vegans make no sense to me. Live and let live. Ill die before I give up my steak.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    stuff
    As I've enjoyed TBone550's posts on this matter and was just enjoying this, I thought I'd repost it here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...r?srnd=premium
    Jules
    Runcible Works

User Tag List