Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 148 g wadcutter for female newbie?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    That's the first time I've ever actually heard someone use a measurement ("pound feet") for recoil.

Could you expand a bit more on what that means, and how you measure / apply / use it in comparisons?

Genuine question; I'm an engineer and am always looking for a more objective measure of some of the squishier topics thrown about (like recoil.)

Thanks!
    First, oops(!) I wrote pound feet and it's actually foot pounds. I hate it when I cross those up. If you search online you can find various calculators and also charts for various cartridge and firearms combos. This site has a reasonable explanation of the formulas and some of the limitations:

http://kwk.us/recoil.html

It still leaves some squishiness. A lot of factors play into perceived recoil including grip / stock design, action type (fixed, blowback, delayed, recoil operated, gas operated), the shooter, etc. Still it's the best baseline I've found for recoil expectations without actually shooting a given gun and cartridge (which is always the acid test). I'm also sometimes too analytic :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    A lot of factors play into perceived recoil including grip / stock design, action type (fixed, blowback, delayed, recoil operated, gas operated), the shooter, etc. Still it's the best baseline I've found for recoil expectations without actually shooting a given gun and cartridge (which is always the acid test).
    One big factor in perceived recoil that has nothing to do with actual recoil is noise. I try to have new shooters double up on hearing protection just for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    First, oops(!) I wrote pound feet and it's actually foot pounds. I hate it when I cross those up. If you search online you can find various calculators and also charts for various cartridge and firearms combos. This site has a reasonable explanation of the formulas and some of the limitations:

http://kwk.us/recoil.html

It still leaves some squishiness. A lot of factors play into perceived recoil including grip / stock design, action type (fixed, blowback, delayed, recoil operated, gas operated), the shooter, etc. Still it's the best baseline I've found for recoil expectations without actually shooting a given gun and cartridge (which is always the acid test). I'm also sometimes too analytic :-)
    Excellent.

I think if ok w you let’s start a new thread on this to avoid cluttering up the discussion. I will definitely chew on these formulas for a bit.

Wadcutters out of a 4"GP100 are indeed like shooting a .22. Very little recoil with a mild report.

They all fall to wadcutters.

Or something like that.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Hits are what count. I think this recommendation can be useful for male newbies, too. I have two friends who are looking for something for home defense and do not have an interest in training much.

They are not interested in carrying either, they just want something in the case of a home invasion scenario.

I am likely to suggest a larger frame revolver and 148gr Federal Gold Match wadcutters.

- Low recoil
    - Load the cylinder and pull the trigger
    - They are not likely to learn all of the different semi-auto malfunction clearing techniques
    - They will only have one gun and one trigger pull to learn
    - If it malfunctions at least they have a hammer

We are enthusiasts, but for individuals like my friends I try to be more realistic.

What is the barrel length of her new Ruger?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....0-ACP-vs-38-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Unlikely to buy and practice w multiple loads. pivot to Hornady critical Duty in 90-110 g and call it good?
    Minor point... Critical Duty is a Magnum load. .38's are in the Critical Defense product line.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post

They all fall to wadcutters.

Or something like that.
    Criminal nutters fall to wadcutters
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List