Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The White Rose - Resistance against tyranny

The White Rose - Resistance against tyranny

Today minus 77 years, this young lady was beheaded by the nazis. Her name: Sophie Scholl, she was only 21 years old. Also her brother and their friend were beheaded the same day. Their "crime": They published flyers against the nazi government in a university in Munich.

Today I've searched and found their first flyer. I like this quote from it very much:
    Der Staat selbst ist niemals Zweck, er ist nur wichtig als eine Bedingung, unter welcher der Zweck der Menschheit erfüllt werden kann, und dieser Zweck der Menschheit ist kein anderer, als Ausbildung aller Kräfte des Menschen, Fortschreitung. Hindert eine Staatsverfassung, daß alle Kräfte, die im Menschen liegen, sich entwickeln; hindert sie die Fortschreitung des Geistes, so ist sie verwerflich und schädlich
    My humble translation:
    The state itself is never a purpose, it is only important as a condition under which the purpose of mankind can be fulfilled, and this purpose of mankind is the development of all human strengths, progress. If a constitution of a state prevents the development of all the strengths that lie within man; if it prevents the progress of the spirit, it is reprehensible and harmful
    And they quoted a poem by Goethe, one of the most famous German poets. It's about hope and freedom:

Hoffnung:

Nun begegne ich meinen Braven,
    Die sich in der Nacht versammelt,
    Um zu schweigen, nicht zu schlafen,
    Und das schöne Wort der Freiheit
    Wird gelispelt und gestammelt,
    Bis in ungewohnter Neuheit
    Wir an unsrer Tempel Stufen
    Wieder neu entzückt es rufen:
    (Mit Überzeugung, laut: )
    Freiheit!
    (gemäßigter: )
    Freiheit!
    (von allen Seiten und Enden Echo: )
    Freiheit!
    It's far beyond my abilities to translate the beauty and power into English. But if someone is interested in German culture, maybe it's interesting for them to try to understand it.
    Last edited by P30; 02-21-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    I remember seeing the movie about her (in German) probably 20 years ago. Such a courageous woman!

Every year for the past 16 years (17th this year), the White Rose Society, an undergraduate student society at UT Austin, hands out 10,000 white roses on campus in the Spring, in a single day. They do so to honor The White Rose resistance and to bring awareness to genocide. 10,000 roses are given out on that day, to remember the approximately 10,000 people murdered by the Nazis at Auschwitz in a single day.

It's a powerful message. I have 8, dried, white roses, each bearing a note tied to them, from this particular group. Each note not only contains specific information about the Holocaust, but also notes additional information about genocide on a global scale that is ongoing. The numbers on these notes are humbling to say the least.

Damn. Bad ass.
    Last edited by Tensaw; 02-22-2020 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    Bad ass.
    I'm not a native English speaker. But I suppose, this is an expression of honor and deep heartfelt respect. Similar to "awesome". Often for bravery or toughness. Right?
    Last edited by P30; 02-22-2020 at 09:37 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    I'm not a native English speaker. But I suppose, this is an expression of honor and deep heartfelt respect. Similar to "awesome". Often for bravery or toughness. Right?
    Correct, it’s a slang term.

You have it exactly correct, @P30.

Thank you for the link. In my opinion, the White Rose organization is not as well known as they ought to be.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

A very courageous group of people. Much respect to them who struggled against such odds.

Today is Sophie's 100th birthday.

PS:
    She said when the Nazis interrogated her: "Das Gesetz ändert sich, das Gewissen nicht." In English: "The law changes, the conscience does not."
    Last edited by P30; 05-09-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Today is Sophie's 100th birthday.

Gay Gezunt, Sophie.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List