Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 75th Ranger Regiment Armory in Afghanistan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    EoTechs!

Don’t they know those will git em kilt in the streets?

On a side note - I’ve had the pleasure of “meeting” two 2BN 75th “veterans” in the pas couple months. One was a hotel shuttle van driver and the other an Uber driver. None of them looked like rangers (though one did have a ponytail - so he might have been in the Nam in a previous life). So I guess those boys have some pretty good career expectations upon ETS-ing. Maybe it is a Lewis thing????

It’s funny - there are more support and combat service support soldiers in the Army than there are combat arms guys (hell there are more cooks in the Army than there are Rangers) yet every single dood on the street tells me they were a snake eater.

I don’t want to be the asshole pilot going all stollen valor on them but sometimes it is hard.

I’ve reached the point that if I ever met a guy claiming he was a cook - I’d probably think he was Delta for reals.

Sorry - had to get that off my chest.

Now back to our regularly scheduled gear analysis.

Hooah.....
    Mission drives the gear train. Three things re EOtechs.

1) If you are doing pre planned, short term missions where you can turn the optic on at the start of the mission and you can simply proactively change batteries every mission/day/ week etc then the batter life isn’t an issue.
    2) The bigger window and the circle dot reticle are fast and the bigger window allows better light transmission if your laser goes down or would give away your position and you have to shoot with RDS and NODs.
    3) IME the sideways battery Eotechs have longer battery life and are more reliable than the earlier dual battery models.

EoTechs!

Don’t they know those will git em kilt in the streets?

On a side note - I’ve had the pleasure of “meeting” two 2BN 75th “veterans” in the pas couple months. One was a hotel shuttle van driver and the other an Uber driver. None of them looked like rangers (though one did have a ponytail - so he might have been in the Nam in a previous life). So I guess those boys have some pretty good career expectations upon ETS-ing. Maybe it is a Lewis thing????

It’s funny - there are more support and combat service support soldiers in the Army than there are combat arms guys (hell there are more cooks in the Army than there are Rangers) yet every single dood on the street tells me they were a snake eater.

I don’t want to be the asshole pilot going all stollen valor on them but sometimes it is hard.

I’ve reached the point that if I ever met a guy claiming he was a cook - I’d probably think he was Delta for reals.

Sorry - had to get that off my chest.

Now back to our regularly scheduled gear analysis.

Hooah.....

Your post reminded me that circa 1988-89 a few cab rides at Ft. Benning during/following Infantry OSUT & Airborne School almost every cab driver was prior Special Forces. Practically without fail. Not certain what that means since it is still a thing...
    Last edited by Willard; 02-22-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Mission drives the gear train. Three things re EOtechs.

1) If you are doing pre planned, short term missions where you can turn the optic on at the start of the mission and you can simply proactively change batteries every mission/day/ week etc then the batter life isn’t an issue.
    2) The bigger window and the circle dot reticle are fast and the bigger window allows better light transmission if your laser goes down or would give away your position and you have to shoot with RDS and NODs.
    3) IME the sideways battery Eotechs have longer battery life and are more reliable than the earlier dual battery models.
    Thanks,

My post did not have enough sarcasm slathered on. I’m actually a fan of the sights and have a few that I decided to keep instead of get my refund.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Your post reminded me that circa 1988-89 a few cab rides at Ft. Benning during/following Infantry OSUT & Airborne School almost every cab driver was prior Special Forces. Practically without fail. Not certain what that means since it is still a thing...
    Hmmm. They couldn't be shooting you a line about prior service could they? You know, for tips or somethin?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Thanks,

My post did not have enough sarcasm slathered on. I’m actually a fan of the sights and have a few that I decided to keep instead of get my refund.
    I'm actually not a fan based on prior experience being responsible for a bit over 100 of them. TLDR version they were a shit show. It I need crazy glue and aluminum foil to keep my optic running it's a problem. Imagine if budget 1911's were optics.

When, not if, they give you issues, L3 doesn't fix pre-2009 optics. They will offer you a current one at 1/2 price via warranty exchange.

My 2007 vintage personal 552 experienced de-lamination of the window and I used L3's warranty offer to buy a new tan sideways battery model. we'll see how it goes.

If your use involves grab and go response or being neglected in an LE vehicle for months at time they are not the right choice.

Site Supporter
    When I'm forthcoming about my decidedly low-speed Army career, a lot of folks raise an eyebrow and think I'm sandbagging to change the subject and that I must have been a *real* snake eater.

Meanwhile, the actual snake eaters that I am genuinely honored to know personally, well, say everything about their career except what they actually are, or what they actually do.
    Their college work, their less glamorous military assignments, etc all day long, but nothing about who they're currently assigned to or what they've been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I tried to talk my son into a ranger contract; he is a senior in high school and is not interested. Youth is wasted on the young
    Try as I might, words completely fail to describe the depth of my envy.
    But I was a surly dumbass of a 17 year old and I damn sure know I had my chances... I just squandered them.

If Ranger stuff doesn't interest him, have him look at 35 series stuff. MILINT will get him security clearances galore and keep him in work either green-suiting it or as a civilian forever, no college required.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    When I'm forthcoming about my decidedly low-speed Army career, a lot of folks raise an eyebrow and think I'm sandbagging to change the subject and that I must have been a *real* snake eater.

Meanwhile, the actual snake eaters that I am genuinely honored to know personally, well, say everything about their career except what they actually are, or what they actually do.
    Their college work, their less glamorous military assignments, etc all day long, but nothing about who they're currently assigned to or what they've been doing.

Try as I might, words completely fail to describe the depth of my envy.
    But I was a surly dumbass of a 17 year old and I damn sure know I had my chances... I just squandered them.

If Ranger stuff doesn't interest him, have him look at 35 series stuff. MILINT will get him security clearances galore and keep him in work either green-suiting it or as a civilian forever, no college required.
    These days you could do both. 11 series is what people stereotypically think of with the 75th RR, but they just stood up a MIBN as part of the Regiment recently. I remember going through Ranger School years ago with an intel E4 from if I remember right the Regimental MICO, he had some cool stories and very much enjoyed his job. Plus he got screwed with less than the usual amount of hazing, I mean, individual development that a tabless Ranger has to deal with every day before he goes to school.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    These days you could do both. 11 series is what people stereotypically think of with the 75th RR, but they just stood up a MIBN as part of the Regiment recently. I remember going through Ranger School years ago with an intel E4 from if I remember right the Regimental MICO, he had some cool stories and very much enjoyed his job. Plus he got screwed with less than the usual amount of hazing, I mean, individual development that a tabless Ranger has to deal with every day before he goes to school.
    By the gods, if that's not the ideal Army career start, I don't know what is.

I can't blame the 75th for trying to build as much of their own support structure as possible, either.

35s are short across the force. There are lots of opportunities for solid MI guys throughout USASOC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    The caption in the link says these are
    A trio of 7.62mm Mk 48 light machine guns. These guns also have laser aiming devices and a version of the Elcan Specter DR with 1.5x and 6x magnification modes.
    That's not right, is it? They look like the SAWs I carried in the late-90s only a lot cooler.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List