Thread: A Different Way To Store Shotshells

A Different Way To Store Shotshells

The idea is to move extra ammo off the gun, shotguns are heavy enough. This is for home defense use and intended to supply ammo for port loading an empty gun, or weak hand loading the magazine. It is worn on a single point sling like the Hoffner’s Tactical Sling I purchased here:

http://www.hoffners.com/gearswag/59-...cal-sling.html

I am just a customer of this company.

I find that typical ammo carriers require a lot of dexterity to grasp the shell and align its direction with that of the gun. This is designed to rip the shell off the “clip”, for lack of a better word, that holds it. It allows the first three fingers and the thumb to hold the shell with the brass on the thumb side of the hand. This allows the shell to be loaded over the top of the gun into the open port, pointing the correct direction. The main tube is slit lengthways to fit the sling inside of it. If there is any excessive movement, I can glue the slit together at the ends, but so far, it stays put.

Attached to a single point sling as shown in the pictures, it allows the home defender to don the sling with ammo if time allows, and then, if time allows, to hook the shotgun onto the sling. This way, if time constrains, the shotgun is left un-encumbered by extra ammo and a dangling sling. What’s not to like?

The target picture was a 5X5 drill at 10 yards. Gun loaded with 5 rounds, empty chamber, first round on lifter, safety off, low ready position. I used my iPhone’s timer, so I had to start and stop it myself. At start, engage target’s upper left to lower right, 5 rounds. Now the gun is empty with the bolt locked back. Port load one round at a time from the holder. Re-engage each of the 5 targets in the same sequence. Load a sixth round, stop timer.

My 35 second time was typical. This time was equal to the same drill with the last 6 rounds laid out on the table that I did prior to making this holder. I’m 68 years old, so you would likely shoot it sub 30 seconds, youngsters...

The holder is made with a $3 flexible 3/4” PVC pipe from the hardware store. Using a PVC cutter, clip off the “clips” about the size of the brass part of a high brass shell. Grind a shallow groove on the long piece where you want them and glue them with PVC cement. After drying, take a pair of wire cutters and cut the clip in the middle to allow the shell to fit in with some pressure to hold it. Split the long tube down the middle with box cutters or sharp knife and fit over the sling. That’s it.

Let me know what you guys think of this idea. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Interesting. I used a single point on my 14" work gun because of very limited sling attachment options up at the muzzle end - that worked with a WML. So, philosophically, I'm not opposed to that part.

How has the shell holder held up? One day class? Two day? Range trips?

With the sling's design (different subject altogether), why cut the pipe? Why not just feed the sling through it?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Interesting. I used a single point on my 14" work gun because of very limited sling attachment options up at the muzzle end - that worked with a WML. So, philosophically, I'm not opposed to that part.

How has the shell holder held up? One day class? Two day? Range trips?

With the sling's design (different subject altogether), why cut the pipe? Why not just feed the sling through it?
    Excellent question that I should have addressed in my original post. I will edit it with the following:

I was hoping to just cut the zip ties at each end, run the tube over the sling, and then re-zip tie the ends again. However, the ends were too large to pass through the 3/4” PVC flex pipe. My next easiest solution was to cut the main tube lengthwise like I did.

Testing was mainly for proof of concept, and has to date only included one range trip. I just made this last weekend. Semi rough testing at home seems to show they will stay put. Who knows what would happen in a real fight or in a class or match? That’s why I have shown Jarod of Invictus Practical all these pictures in hopes he can come up with a less “home grown” and more professional/sturdy version any of us could buy. I’ll share anything he comes up with. I would be tickled if this design became something others would employ, and that someone could make a few bucks off of. Jarod’s shell holders are very good quality and used for dual and quad loading jobs in matches, as you likely know.

As to the single point sling. I’m no expert. However, for short term use, I think they have merit over the dual point slings. If I was hiking around on a Marine deployment I would probably prefer a 2 point. But for the temporary aspect of HD and class/match use, the single point seems best to me. In HD especially, I don’t want a sling snagging on things. I just want the shotgun, free and clear. If I needed to attach it to my body, AND HAD THE TIME, I’d rather just clip it into a sling already attached to me. And if that sling had extra rounds on it, all the better. 🤓

PS-
    I can’t edit my original post, so... I’ll just rely on this...
    Last edited by Flyboytim; 02-22-2020 at 09:52 PM.

User Tag List