Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lots of conceal carry questions...

Question Lots of conceal carry questions...

Too many things to think about when carrying a weapon.
    This is for IWB carry.
    I'll list here to get suggestions and ideas.
    1. Do you carry in IWB position while driving or take it out and put in console or somewhere else?
      I tested it and the Kydex presses against the side and while it's not painful, it's not comfortable.
      However, one thing I was worried about didn't happen. I never touched or adjusted it like most articles mentioned for first time carriers.
    2. When you are dropping kids off at school, can you step outside the vehicle on the sidewalk drop off zone?
    3. How to secure in the car for temporary situation like if you want to go inside a school or kids park or courthouse or for a drink?
      Simplest option I think is to use the gun lock or a security cable and padlock through the magazine hole and secure it with metal frame under the seat.
      Name:  Glock17_With_Cable_Lock.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  52.0 KB
      Having a safe is better but I'm not sure where to install it.
    4. Do you have a safe under the seat or in the trunk?
    5. Do you carry extra magazine all the time?
    6. Do you have insurance? If yes, is it dedicated CCW or something added to home owners insurance?
    7. What other things to consider?

Some of these questions look jurisdiction specific.

Do you carry in IWB position while driving or take it out and put in console or somewhere else?
    Carry.

I tested it and the Kydex presses against the side and while it's not painful, it's not comfortable.
    You may have to adjust your carry, holster, or car. "But wife, I need this Porsche to make it more comfortable!"

However, one thing I was worried about didn't happen. I never touched or adjusted it like most articles mentioned for first time carriers.
    Good deal

When you are dropping kids off at school, can you step outside the vehicle on the sidewalk drop off zone?
    Jurisdiction question.

How to secure in the car for temporary situation like if you want to go inside a school or kids park or courthouse or for a drink?
    My kid's park is a bar as they are both over 21. I don't go to bars. If a school event I left at home.

Simplest option I think is to use the gun lock or a security cable and padlock through the magazine hole and secure it with metal frame under the seat.
    I will let others answer but that sounds like a lot of work and dangerous if DAO.

Name: Glock17_With_Cable_Lock.jpg Views: 0 Size: 52.0 KB
    Friends don't let friends drive Glock!

Your safehouse of course.

Do you have a safe under the seat or in the trunk?
    No. What?

Do you carry extra magazine all the time?
    Yes.

Do you have insurance? If yes, is it dedicated CCW or something added to home owners insurance?
    No.

What other things to consider?
    Don't teach your wife how to shoot. When she's annoyed she will remind you of this.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 02-21-2020 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    This is for IWB carry.
    1. Do you carry in IWB position while driving or take it out and put in console or somewhere else? If I get in the car with the pistol on my belt, it stays on my belt
      I tested it and the Kydex presses against the side and while it's not painful, it's not comfortable. I much prefer leather for IWB for precisely that reason. There are more than enough leather IWB holsters with a reinforced mouth that will not collapse on you. LMK if you need suggestions. That said some kydex holsters can be made to work in relative comfort
    2. When you are dropping kids off at school, can you step outside the vehicle on the sidewalk drop off zone? That is a jurisdiction specific question. In my state that would be a no.
    3. How to secure in the car for temporary situation like if you want to go inside a school or kids park or courthouse or for a drink?
      Having a safe is better but I'm not sure where to install it. The simplest option that is legal in my state is to toss it in the glove box and lock the car. How would it look like for someone to walk by your car while you're screwing around with a pistol while threading a cable lock through it?
    4. Do you have a safe under the seat or in the trunk? No
    5. Do you carry extra magazine all the time? Yes
    6. Do you have insurance? If yes, is it dedicated CCW or something added to home owners insurance? I have enough insurance
    7. What other things to consider? Don't over think this. Over thinking everything and obsessing over printing are common to those new to carrying handguns. Pay a local lawyer who is familiar with the firearm laws in your state to spend time explaining what the laws really mean and answering your questions. Knowledge is power.
    My input, developed over 13 years of concealed carry with IWB and OWB kydex and leather holsters and encountering all your situations and more, is in red

This is for IWB carry.
    1. Do you carry in IWB position while driving or take it out and put in console or somewhere else?
    2. When you are dropping kids off at school, can you step outside the vehicle on the sidewalk drop off zone?
    6. Do you have insurance? If yes, is it dedicated CCW or something added to home owners insurance?
    1. I leave the weapon in its holster, normally, whether IWB or OWB.

2. I am not a lawyer, nor a resident of CO. Much might well depend upon whether the “sidewalk” is part of the public street’s right-of-way, or located upon the premises of the school.

3. A solid U-lock is so very much better than a cable lock. A revolver wins this one, as the cylinder window is plenty large enough.

4. No, and no. One of our vehicles has a huge, vehicle-specific Tuffy Products lock box, in the cargo area behind the rear seat. I am about to install a small Tuffy Products lock box behind the seat of my single-cab truck, after I decide whether to drill, or, take advantage of some existing holes.

5. Normally, if carrying an auto, yes.

6. Insurance? If you mean pre-paid legal, available to private citizens, no. (As a retired LEO, I have an option available, through a retired officers organization.)

7. There is so very much more. Maybe start with training?
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

This is for IWB carry.
      I tested it and the Kydex presses against the side and while it's not painful, it's not comfortable. I keep it on. I try to minimize unnecessary administrative handling of loaded firearms. Try some different cants, points on the belt line, ride depths, or even holsters. You'll eventually find something that doesn't bother you.
    2. When you are dropping kids off at school, can you step outside the vehicle on the sidewalk drop off zone? Varies by state.
      Simplest option I think is to use the gun lock or a security cable and padlock through the magazine hole and secure it with metal frame under the seat. Having a safe is better but I'm not sure where to install it. Again, I try to minimize unnecessary administrative handling of loaded firearms. Lock the holstered firearm in your glovebox or console (if they're lockable) or install a small safe.
    4. Do you have a safe under the seat or in the trunk? No, I have lockable gloveboxes.
    5. Do you carry extra magazine all the time? I carry an extra magazine about 90% of the time.
    6. Do you have insurance? If yes, is it dedicated CCW or something added to home owners insurance? No, but I am open to the idea.
    7. What other things to consider? Off the top of my head: Get a purpose-made pistol belt if you haven't. Compression fit Under Armour shirts are great undergarments to go between your gun/holster and your skin. Get formal training. Don't give away the fact that you are concealing a handgun through your clothing choice or decals on your vehicle.
    Here's my 2 cents. Hope it's helpful.

None of my vehicles have lockable gloveboxes and I don't worry about it. A lockable glove box can be busted open relatively easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    None of my vehicles have lockable gloveboxes and I don't worry about it. A lockable glove box can be busted open relatively easily.
    I agree. Dark window tint, locked car doors, & keeping valuables out of sight probably goes farther than having a lockable glovebox or even one of the lockbox-style safes.

This is for IWB carry.
      I keep the holster on (appendix carry a large pistol). It's tempting to want to take it off, especially during a long drive but consider the variety of random events that can happen during driving. If you get in an accident (God forbid), you don't want to be fumbling to put your gun on before you exit your vehicle to asses what happened. Experiment with different clothes, belts, and holster ride heights, you'll find something that works. Hit us up with followup questions if you want advice on those things. I don't know what type of belt you use but first try letting out by one hole to give yourself a little more wiggle room while your sitting. You can tighten it back up before you exit your car once you hit your destination.
      Dependent on state
      Currently I lock my gun in the glove box but I am aware that this is NOT a good idea. Don't be like me. lol There are lockable pistol safes that you can purchase with metal cables to fasten to the underside of your car seat. Much better option and I'm going to be buying one very soon as a matter of fact.
      Simplest option I think is to use the gun lock or a security cable and padlock through the magazine hole and secure it with metal frame under the seat. Having a safe is better but I'm not sure where to install it.
      I would not do that. It renders your gun absolutely useless and slow to get into action should you need to retrieve it. What's worse is that you'd have to do a lot of handling in your car to unload it prior to snaking the lock through the magwell, or reloading it after you leave the area you couldn't carry in. Consider how suspicious that would look.
      Under seat is a much better idea in my opinion
      Yes, either in my pocket with a Glock mag pouch (helps keep pocket lint off the mag), or on my belt with the same Glock Mag pouch. It's clothing dependent.
      No, but I'm about ready to sign up for USCCA, I've done research and their plans are very appealing.
      Training, proper mindset, dry practice, preparing family on what to do if you need to use your handgun, consuming quality self defense minded media such as Tactical Professor blog, Active Response training blog, Active Self Protection Youtube channel (this one is particularly good because it's raw footage of self defense situations), one day a week start your day by reading your local newspaper or visiting your local PD's facebook page to be up on what's happening in your area. Keep coming here and asking questions, there are many members with extensive knowledge that are happy to help.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    All my answers are based on my own preferences and IL state law.

This is for IWB carry.
    1. Do you carry in IWB position while driving or take it out and put in console or somewhere else? I just put the gun in the center console and leave the holster in my belt. That way I just reinsert the gun when I'm ready, and don't have to shimmy around or hover like I'm trying to pee in a bottle.
    2. When you are dropping kids off at school, can you step outside the vehicle on the sidewalk drop off zone? In IL technically no, but...
    3. How to secure in the car for temporary situation like if you want to go inside a school or kids park or courthouse or for a drink? I just leave it at home if I know I'll be in a legal no-go zone for a while. The odds of it getting stolen are probably better than the odds of me needing it on the way home.
    4. Do you have a safe under the seat or in the trunk? No
    5. Do you carry extra magazine all the time? Yes, but I can usually dress around it. I may not if I'm just running down the the dollar store for milk.
    6. Do you have insurance? If yes, is it dedicated CCW or something added to home owners insurance? No
    7. What other things to consider? Nobody is paying a damn bit of attention to you unless you draw attention to yourself.

Site Supporter
    This is for IWB carry.
      Something you need to work out through holster selection and practice carrying. I try to leave the gun on if I can at all avoid it. Nothing draws attention to you and your now unattended blaster than screwing around with it as you go from holster to console/glove box/underseat safe/whatever and back again.
      Not usually. You either take the risk and stay concealed, or don't carry when you know you will be somewhere you legally cannot. I usually take the risk, but my commission card has slightly different rules/priveleges than a CCW.
      See above. It is a really crappy couple of options but they are the only ones I see. And before my privilege comment gets misconstrued, cops around here have been arrested for misbehaving with a gun on. The amount of misbehaving is usually the trigger for career ending consequences. Picking up kids at school, not a big deal. Going into the court house or having a drink, depending on who/what/where/when you may get discipline, or you need to start looking for another line of work.

Name:  Glock17_With_Cable_Lock.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  52.0 KB
      I wouldn't. While a creative solution, I have stopped autoburglars and bicycle thieves with battery powered angle grinders that will make short work of any cable or U-lock. We are the auto theft capital of the US. Even stout bolt cutters can damage a U-lock enough to bust it open. I have seen regular lineman's pliers and tin snips used to cut bike lock cables, which are much stouter than cable type gun locks. But a larger problem comes from loading and unloading the piece repeatedly. First it is usually pretty obvious what you are doing, and then your blaster is unattended. Second, admin handling like loading and unloading is where a large numbers of NDs occur. Thirdly, it is not best practices to continue loading and unloading the same round(s).
      I have neither now, but my next vehicle(s) from here on out will have an underseat or trunk safe. Security and cost will fuel my decision then. I will consider it part of the cost of a new or new to me vehicle.
      Not always. Where and when I am going may change my mind, but generally I feel 18 rounds in my gun are sufficient for almost anything. Staying late in a bad part of town? Yep. Going to the Mall? Yep. Even if I am not caring a spare mag on my person, I usually have at least one in the vehicle, along with...other stuff. Statistically I won't need it, but the same is true for the gun itself. I find it much more useful to take a flashlight along, and will always have one when I have a gun on, (and often when I don't have a gun on), even if I am not carrying a spare magazine
      Something I am looking into and have not taken a decision on yet. My employer and my union have insurance and attorneys on call of incidents on and off duty. For now that is sufficient.
      I currently have another window open tweaking my presentation for CCW Response to Active Shooter, so I thought I would share some info from there. In an active shooter situation, your job is NOT to hunt down the bad man. Your job is to quickly get you and yours out of the danger area. If you cannot get out of the danger area you need to hunker down behind a locked and barricaded door, and await rescue. Should the bad man get access to you, you need to defend yourself. Obviously having a gun with you may make some of this easier than if you didn't have a gun with you. But in most historical active shooter situations, you will be better served by leaving the gun in its holster unless and until you see the bad man committing the bad act in front of you. I only add this because I am doing some Active Shooter Training for a couple of church security teams in the next month, and this is a common question I get from armed folks. Most of the time when you witness a crime, like a fight in progress, a domestic dispute that turns violent, or something similar, your gut response is to intervene with your new tools and skill sets. You will much more often be better served by calling the cops and being a good witness than getting directly involved. A Google search can reveal CCW holders getting arrested, charged and convicted for getting involved in the wrong situation, at the wrong time, an pulling a gun when it was not appropriate. Understand your local criteria for pulling and using your firearm. Like I said, this stuff that I get asked a lot when I am teaching classes, and thought I would toss it in here, even when it was not explicitly asked.
    pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 02-21-2020 at 04:06 PM.

User Tag List