Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lots of conceal carry questions...

Site Supporter
    In TX, I can CC up to the front door of a PUBLIC grade school, but not inside.

In Colorado, the answer seems to be that you cannot CC outside your vehicle at all when on school grounds.

https://handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf

(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the
    real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high
    school; except that:
    (a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun
    remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a
    compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    Too many things to think about when carrying a weapon.
    This is for IWB carry.
    I'll list here to get suggestions and ideas.
    1. Do you carry in IWB position while driving or take it out and put in console or somewhere else?
      I tested it and the Kydex presses against the side and while it's not painful, it's not comfortable.
      However, one thing I was worried about didn't happen. I never touched or adjusted it like most articles mentioned for first time carriers.
    2. When you are dropping kids off at school, can you step outside the vehicle on the sidewalk drop off zone?
    3. How to secure in the car for temporary situation like if you want to go inside a school or kids park or courthouse or for a drink?
      Simplest option I think is to use the gun lock or a security cable and padlock through the magazine hole and secure it with metal frame under the seat.
      Attachment 49002
      Having a safe is better but I'm not sure where to install it.
    4. Do you have a safe under the seat or in the trunk?
    5. Do you carry extra magazine all the time?
    6. Do you have insurance? If yes, is it dedicated CCW or something added to home owners insurance?
    7. What other things to consider?
    Carrying a gun is rarely comfortable. Even in a full duty rig, it feels great to take it off. But best to keep it on you.

I've never contemplated any of the other questions and I pay no mind to laws that don't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by William B. View Post
    I agree. Dark window tint, locked car doors, & keeping valuables out of sight probably goes farther than having a lockable glovebox or even one of the lockbox-style safes.
    All of our vehicle have lightly tinted windows. I want anyone walking by to be able to see there is no reason to bust my window. I don't leave anything in my vehicles such as bags or electronics or change even bags from a convenience store. I've heard stories of truck getting broken into at the Atlanta airport and hotels because they figured there would be a gun inside. Even trucks that have no gun stickers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    All of our vehicle have lightly tinted windows. I want anyone walking by to be able to see there is no reason to bust my window. I don't leave anything in my vehicles such as bags or electronics or change even bags from a convenience store. I've heard stories of truck getting broken into at the Atlanta airport and hotels because they figured there would be a gun inside. Even trucks that have no gun stickers etc.
    Part of my thinking behind dark windows is that if I do have to handle my firearm while in my car, I'll be less likely to scare soccer moms or attract the attention of thieves. Your thoughts behind lightly tinted windows make sense, too, though.

Lots of conceal carry questions...

Good questions. I have a console safe that fits the gun and holster, if I need to go in a nonpermissive environment, like a Federal building.

I do not unholster my gun when I am carrying.

Laws that encourage people to mess around with their guns in parking lots are a bad idea for safety, and for theft.

I drive and do everything I normally do with my CCW. It can take a while to find a comfortable holster, gun, belt, and clothes combination.

If I am hiking with a pack, I sometimes change holsters. I’m very cautious about when and where I do that. When you think you’re alone, you never know when someone will appear at just the wrong moment and misunderstandings can be dangerous.

I am a member of ACLDN.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    How to secure in the car for temporary situation like if you want to go inside kids park
    Do you mean a public park where kids are playing? I keep my pistol on me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    Carrying a gun is rarely comfortable. Even in a full duty rig, it feels great to take it off. But best to keep it on you.

I've never contemplated any of the other questions and I pay no mind to laws that don't make sense.
    Yep...

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Good questions. I have a console safe that fits the gun and holster, if I need to go in a nonpermissive environment, like a Federal building.

I do not unholster my gun when I am carrying.

Laws that encourage people to mess around with their guns in parking lots are a bad idea for safety, and for theft.

I drive and do everything I normally do with my CCW. It can take a while to find a comfortable holster, gun, belt, and clothes combination.

If I am hiking with a pack, I sometimes change holsters. I’m very cautious about when and where I do that. When you think you’re alone, you never know when someone will appear at just the wrong moment and misunderstandings can be dangerous.

I am a member of ACLDN.
    ...yep..

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Do you mean a public park where kids are playing? I keep my pistol on me.
    ...and yep...

pat

Do whatever you have to do to avoid fucking with the gun in public.

While I have, in the past, been in a situation where I had to take off/put on the gun twice a day, I hated it. Every time you do this, it's an opportunity to have a problem or be seen.

User Tag List