Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Good General Purpose .357 Magnum load?

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've been using it in 9x19, .38 Special and .45 ACP. I'm really pleased with it. No problems making factory-equivalent (or higher) loads with it using Alliant's data and it's far cleaner-burning than Unique.
    Yeah I’m using it to duplicate the Hornady Custom 180 gr XTP 10mm load

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Magnum primers are used for powders that need a hotter spark to burn more cleanly. The classic example is W296/H110. Most fast powders (Bullseye, Titegroup, Clays, etc.) work fine with standard primers. So do some slower powders; Alliant used standard (CCI 500) primers for their .357 Magnum 2400 data. I'd check across several sources (available online) to see what the preponderance of usage is before deciding.

IME, ball powders in general benefit from magnum primers, even the faster ones like W231/HP-38. I back off on the recommended loads and work up to a specific velocity window, keeping below the recommended max load to make sure the pressures stay reasonable.
    I only use magnum primers when the book calls for them.

I read "contra-indicated" as "hazardous" or "reducing performance," which was a mis-interpretation on my part. Thanks.

Back in the day I used Blue Dot for warmer .357 and .45 ACP, but Lester is the only member here I have ever seen mention it, and he seems to be done with it.

I also used H110, but according the the Speer manual I referred to a lot, it gave very little to no velocity increase in pistols over Blue Dot. The softball-sized fireballs in max .357 loads were fun, though.

I am fine with having different powders around, I am more interested in standardizing bullet weight/types, and that would be 158 grainers for me in .357. Probably 125-135 grains in .38, and 230 (I don't think I've ever loaded any other weight) in .45. I use HP-38 for light/medium loads in .38 and .45.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    The softball-sized fireballs in max .357 loads were fun though.
    I used a full charge of WW296 (H110 clone) from Speer #9 in .357 Magnum with the 146 Jacketed SWC-HP way back in the mid-70s that I wished produced softball sized fireballs! They were more like a beach ball. I also recall shooting factory .357 Mag ammo during night quals back then and they were simply horrible on flash. When we had WW 145 STHP ammo recommended, it was a sweet spot of superb performance on assholes, nearly non-existent muzzle flash and reasonable controllability. I used it with great satisfaction on a few whitetails from a 4" Model 19, too.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Ooohh. What is the velocity window for those? I'm guessing it must be relatively low if its softer lead.
    Been travelling so I am just getting back to this thread.... I load em to 1080-1100 FPS using 7.5 gr power pistol and CCI 500 primer and a 4" GP100. 11.8 grains 2400, CCI 550 primer will net ya about the same velocity. I think Wayne's comments above are spot on as well.

Invest in a good reloading manual.. the Lyman Cast Bullet manual rocks.
    Johnny Walker

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I've just stared using BE86 in 10mm and have been impressed so far. Some say it's basically Power Pistol with flash suppressant but I wouldn't know.
    Good Grief! I LIKE the FLASH~! Makes you feel like you are launching NUKES!
    Johnny Walker

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    Been travelling so I am just getting back to this thread.... I load em to 1080-1100 FPS using 7.5 gr power pistol and CCI 500 primer and a 4" GP100. 11.8 grains 2400, CCI 550 primer will net ya about the same velocity. I think Wayne's comments above are spot on as well.

Invest in a good reloading manual.. the Lyman Cast Bullet manual rocks.
    I've been using Power Pistol more lately and find it to be simply excellent. It's like a miracle Unique. It meters beautifully, gives higher velocities at lower pressures than Unique and seems a bit more accurate. It is freakin' loud though! I'm about to explore it in some .38 Special full power, full bullet weight loads to see what I get. I do know that 8.0 PP with a 250 Keith in .44 Special (let's call it the Brian Pearce load) is perfect.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I used a full charge of WW296 (H110 clone) from Speer #9 in .357 Magnum with the 146 Jacketed SWC-HP way back in the mid-70s that I wished produced softball sized fireballs! They were more like a beach ball. I also recall shooting factory .357 Mag ammo during night quals back then and they were simply horrible on flash. When we had WW 145 STHP ammo recommended, it was a sweet spot of superb performance on assholes, nearly non-existent muzzle flash and reasonable controllability. I used it with great satisfaction on a few whitetails from a 4" Model 19, too.
    I tried finding the silvertips to load. No luck, which is why i tried the 140 xtps.

I've been using Power Pistol more lately and find it to be simply excellent. It's like a miracle Unique. It meters beautifully, gives higher velocities at lower pressures than Unique and seems a bit more accurate. It is freakin' loud though! I'm about to explore it in some .38 Special full power, full bullet weight loads to see what I get. I do know that 8.0 PP with a 250 Keith in .44 Special (let's call it the Brian Pearce load) is perfect.
    I cant wait to see your results. Ive heard its cleaner than unique. Im still working on an 8lbs jug of unique but wouldn't mind switching when im done.

5.2gr of unique under 158gr hardcast bullet has been a very comfortable load for me. A bit much for my wife though. She was used to the batch of 4.5gr unique i loaded up.

Come to think of it, "softball-sized" was what Blue Dot max loads were like.

I think "basketball-sized" is probably more accurate for H110.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

[QUOTE= I'm shooting coated lead these days. [/QUOTE]

I've been using Berry's Plated Bullets for 8 years now. The box says "max 1250 fps." I'm running them right around that speed, and on a given day I had them chrono at 1400 fps from my 6", no leading problems so far. Lately I'm getting them from Powder Valley. If I put in the order when they have a "free shipping" special, the 125 gr. bullets have been 8 cents the past two years.

User Tag List