Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good General Purpose .357 Magnum load?

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If you're adamant about one powder: Unique. I don't understand why people want to limit themselves on powder, while storing brass in multiple and bullets in multiple calibers, as well as 2-3 sizes/types of primers. Live it up, my man. One more pound of powder won't break the bank or cause storage problems.
    I avoid having a bunch of different powders around. I know that sounds weird but I started reloading metal about the time the last shortage hit and I just can't get that out of my head. Some powders were gone for two years along with primers. I reload for about 6 different cartridges and I find that 3 powders, 2400, American Select and AR Comp will cover the bases for what I shoot. I may try BE-86 when my supply runs low. If I like it I'll switch and buy 8 lbs of it. I buy primers in bulk also. I place an order and my dealer gives me a nice discount.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Ooohh. What is the velocity window for those? I'm guessing it must be relatively low if its softer lead.
    Soft doesn't matter as long as it fits the cylinder throats properly and is properly lubed. The commercial bullets cast en mass are just the opposite, having a hard lube and a hard bullet that isn't a proper (snug) fit in the throats, leading to the leading we often see. Keith developed most of his .357 and .44 Mag loads using a 1:30 bullet alloy, which is about a 10 BHN.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If you're adamant about one powder: Unique. I don't understand why people want to limit themselves on powder, while storing brass in multiple and bullets in multiple calibers, as well as 2-3 sizes/types of primers. Live it up, my man. One more pound of powder won't break the bank or cause storage problems.

For me its mostly trying to cut down variables. If one powder will work well enough for what I want to load, just changes in how much I'm setting my measure to throw, it keeps it simpler for me to keep track of at this point. As I start actually loading more things, I will definitely have to expand my selection, but until then I want to stay as K.I.S.S. as I can until I sort out what works best for me. As I am my own quality control, I have to work out procedures for myself to minimize possible problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Soft doesn't matter as long as it fits the cylinder throats properly and is properly lubed. The commercial bullets cast en mass are just the opposite, having a hard lube and a hard bullet that isn't a proper (snug) fit in the throats, leading to the leading we often see. Keith developed most of his .357 and .44 Mag loads using a 1:30 bullet alloy, which is about a 10 BHN.
    So what would be a good load for that you think? How would it perform at say 1200fps out of a 4in Security Six? Would that be advisable?

Site Supporter
    1200 is fairly easy to achieve and the Ruger is very strong. But unless you really need that velocity for trajectory flattening, I would step back and enjoy something in the 1000-1100 fps range. With a 158ish SWC (or some kind of good sized meplat bullet), you can use 5.5 WW231/HP38 or 5.0 Bullseye or about 6.0 Unique and enjoy the shooting more. I love the crash and boom of a Magnum every once in a while, but you'll become a better shooter, wrists and elbows will last longer, the gun will last longer and you'll kill just about anything reasonable with to shoot with a revolver graveyard dead with that and good placement. I think that GT Keith HP bullet listed above would be a great field load bullet to try.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    1200 is fairly easy to achieve and the Ruger is very strong. But unless you really need that velocity for trajectory flattening, I would step back and enjoy something in the 1000-1100 fps range. With a 158ish SWC (or some kind of good sized meplat bullet), you can use 5.5 WW231/HP38 or 5.0 Bullseye or about 6.0 Unique and enjoy the shooting more. I love the crash and boom of a Magnum every once in a while, but you'll become a better shooter, wrists and elbows will last longer, the gun will last longer and you'll kill just about anything reasonable with to shoot with a revolver graveyard dead with that and good placement. I think that GT Keith HP bullet listed above would be a great field load bullet to try.
    You know, you are right. I think I'm working backwards from wanting "crash and boom", and trying to justify that want rather than any practical use that would require it. Loading .38 Special as strictly light wadcutters for the snubby, and Magnum cases with that Keith bullet over bullseye for the Six would basically cover all my bases while keeping things simple. If I want an earth-shattering kaboom, a couple of boxes of factory ammo will satisfy that for awhile.

One question though, would magnum primers be necessary for that 5.0 of bullseye?

May I just say this thread is great?

Nothing to add, just digging it.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    You know, you are right. I think I'm working backwards from wanting "crash and boom", and trying to justify that want rather than any practical use that would require it. Loading .38 Special as strictly light wadcutters for the snubby, and Magnum cases with that Keith bullet over bullseye for the Six would basically cover all my bases while keeping things simple. If I want an earth-shattering kaboom, a couple of boxes of factory ammo will satisfy that for awhile.

One question though, would magnum primers be necessary for that 5.0 of bullseye?
    Not only would they not be necessary, I think they are contra indicated for a powder that fast.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Not only would they not be necessary, I think they are contra indicated for a powder that fast.
    Well that's good to hear. One less thing to stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Why? Not challenging you, just looking to get educated.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List