Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good General Purpose .357 Magnum load?

Well perusing both the Lyman & Lee data, the Lee bizarrely has no listing for 2400 in .357 at all. The Lyman shows a max load of 14.9gr under the 158 XTP doing 1280 fps out of a 4in barrel. Unique is in both, max 7.7gr for 1940 fps barrel length not listed, Lyman 8.3gr at 1185 fps. Lyman list the pressure for 2400 & unique as 41,800 and 38,300 C.U.P. respectively. Lee doesn't list pressure at all for its Unique load. And I'm noticing, uses both C.U.P. and PSI for different loads in the same caliber, which is very confusing and would seem to make it difficult to do apples to apples comparisons with different loads.

Does any of this sound workable? Do those numbers match up to y'all experiences? The disparities confound me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fdhvg1mblQ

Google "the complete .357 reloading manual"

Download the pdf

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    What are youre needs? Animal SD, hunting, human SD?

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-38...per-800-1.html

Over 13.5gr 2400

If i could only load one load for the rest of my life that would be it.
    What O3RN said above or this bullet http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?m...products_id=60Name:  38-429-160--HP-358.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  34.3 KB
    Johnny Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Walker View Post
    What O3RN said above or this bullet http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?m...products_id=60Name:  38-429-160--HP-358.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  34.3 KB
    Ooohh. What is the velocity window for those? I'm guessing it must be relatively low if its softer lead.

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    My take is that it's hard to get more "general purpose" in .357 (or .44 RM) than a XTP, 158 in .357 and 240or 300 in .44 for me.
    You've covered a lot of bases with that bullet choice.
    I was able to snag a few boxes of 158gr XTP's on clearance when Wal-Mart started getting out of the ammo and reloading business. I agree that it is probably a good compromise "do it all" bullet for most .357 purposes. It's probably not the ideal self defense bullet, with it likely penetrating a lot deeper than is ideal. That extra bit of penetration probably gives it a bit of an edge as a "woods" carry load. So, compromise, and one I can live with. I plan to eventually get a .357 levergun, and the 158's don't blow up as bad as the lighter 125's can from the longer barrels.

13.5 grains of 2400 and a 158 XTP seems to work well in my 3" Model 60, and I was getting good expansion in water tests at that charge weight. 14.5 grains was getting into the "sporty" end of the range in that light gun.

If woods/desert bumming with bears and cougars isn't on your itinerary, a 125gr bullet (XTP?) at modest magnum velocities might be more your style.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    In reference to needs? Yes. Though pondering on it more, human SD is largely incidental, and if that was a priority it would be wiser to focus on duplicating a known good factory load for practice, and buy the factory for carry. That being said, main purpose is just to load something that is manageable but still in magnum territory, that is pushing a bullet that will perform within its envelope when it hits it target.
    Great thing about those hardcast 158s is that they will do the same thing no matter how fast you throw them. As I understand it. So point in favor.

So is 2400 the general consensus on powder for .357 Magnum? I know that bullseye will work for what I want in .45 ACP and .38 Special. Figured if I wanted magnum performance I was going to have to get magnum powder, just have to ensure I keep things segregated.
    Take a hard look at Alliant BE86. It'll run from flat mild to completely wild. Super versatile powder that one.

If you want the absolute most magnabomb load possible (ETA: with heavy bullets like 158) you want VV N110, but it's not bad at all on flash and the noise will be less than you'd expect for the top end velocity of the caliber. But the BE86 could serve as a single powder for all handgun calibers for almost all shooters. It's that good.

I loaded a ton of 357 mag with 2400 when I had a 77/357. It isn't a versatile powder for much of anything except for 357 and 44 mag. You have some good advice already on powders so I won't go into that. Generally it depends on what the use of the load will be. I load 357 with American Select to plink with but it has the character of a 38 spl. load which is what I want. I'm not recommending that powder, just my solution to shooting my model 19's at 38 spl. velocity.

If you decide to buy some XTP bullets hit me up before you do that. I have several weights that I'll never load. I'm shooting coated lead these days.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I'm shooting coated lead these days.
    Powder coated? How’s that going?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Powder coated? How’s that going?

Okie John
    I like it for 38 spl and low velocity 357. I try to load those around 800 fps. I'm also using coated for 32 Long. I used to use it for 45 ACP and 9MM but recently went back to FMJ as I find it taper crimps much better with better neck tension.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Having now loaded a grand total of about 250 rounds of .38 special wadcutters, and armed with both the Lee & Lyman reloading manuals, I now seem to be bitten by the bug, and I am looking for excuses to load for more of the calibers in my arsenal. Since I already have the dies, .357 seems like the next logical step.

So, in that vein, what would be peoples recommendation for a good general purpose load for a 4in Security Six? In the interest of standardization, is it possible to use Bullseye in any worthwhile load, or am I going to need to get another powder? If so what? I would eventually like to load .45 ACP as well, so being able to stock one type of powder that would work for light .38 dewc, .357 Mag, and .45 would be nice.
    If you're adamant about one powder: Unique. I don't understand why people want to limit themselves on powder, while storing brass in multiple and bullets in multiple calibers, as well as 2-3 sizes/types of primers. Live it up, my man. One more pound of powder won't break the bank or cause storage problems.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List