Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Good General Purpose .357 Magnum load?

Remington 158 SJHP over 14.5 2400.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    ...I read "contra-indicated" as..."reducing performance,"...
    Magnum primers can often give greater standard deviation and extreme spread than standard. A lot of folks have found standard primers to be more consistent in their magnum loads in their guns. I found magnum primers to gain me nothing more than another component to pay for and stock with my aggressively roll crimped 158gr LFN over H110 old model Vaquero and Dan Wesson loads.

Sorry for bumping this thread, but it seems to be very relevant to what I'm researching.
    I plan on loading some 158 gr XTPs in mid-range velocity for bowling pins, in the 1100 to 1200 fps range. Full power .357 Mag loads aren't needed for the events I shoot. I'd like some recommendations on powder and primers, please.
    I have Universal Clays, AA#5, AA#9 at hand along with established loads from several reloading manuals for these powders. Anyone have experience with Universal Clays or AA#5 in .357 Mag?
    For my wife's bowling pin revolver I currently load .357 Mag using a 180 gr Missouri Bullet pugnose WFN over 10.4 grains of AA#9 and burns pretty clean, so using AA#9 with a little bit more powder might be the easy route.

I use magnum primers for the AA#9 powder and that 180 gr bullet. If I switch to either Universal or AA#5, can I use regular small pistol primers or even small rifle primers (I have far more SR primers than the others)?
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 08-23-2023 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Sorry for bumping this thread, but it seems to be very relevant to what I'm researching.
    I plan on loading some 158 gr XTPs in mid-range velocity for bowling pins, in the 1100 to 1200 fps range. Full power .357 Mag loads aren't needed for the events I shoot. I'd like some recommendations on powder and primers, please.
    I have Universal Clays, AA#5, AA#9 at hand along with established loads from several reloading manuals for these powders. Anyone have experience with Universal Clays or AA#5 in .357 Mag?
    For my wife's bowling pin revolver I currently load .357 Mag using a 180 gr Missouri Bullet pugnose WFN over 10.4 grains of AA#9 and burns pretty clean, so using AA#9 with a little bit more powder might be the easy route.

I use magnum primers for the AA#9 powder and that 180 gr bullet. If I switch to either Universal or AA#5, can I use regular small pistol primers or even small rifle primers (I have far more SR primers than the others)?
    Aa9 is what I'd use
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post

Accurate Arms #9 is my favorite .357 powder because I can use a standard primer but still get real "magnum" velocities. Velocity is a little behind the absolute top end you can get from things like H110, but I'm not sure if it's enough to make a difference.

As far as using small rifle primers, other folks have reported success, but I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Small Rifle primers typically work okay in autoloaders - I went through most of a case during the recent shortage in my 9x19s. If your revolver has had an action job, it might not work with them. Some folks stay away from CCI Small Pistol primers because the cups are harder than other brands' and aren't reliable with worked-over revolvers.

I wouldn't call 1100-1200 fps "mid-range". Some factory 158s chrono in that range from a 4". OTOH, if you're using a 6+" gun, that's another story.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

@Exiledviking if you already have AA9, that's the easy button. It's a good magnum powder.

BE86, Power Pistol, or Unique would also be good choices.

I plan on using these reloads in a stock 6" 2023 Colt Python. I appreciate your responses. Thank you.

I'll try Winchester small rifle primers to see if the Python will ignite them reliably. If not, I'll use the Winchester small pistol primers.

Site Supporter
    Deleted content. Double post,
    Last edited by willie; 08-24-2023 at 10:17 AM.

Site Supporter
    AA5 and Unique are similar in burn rate.

User Tag List