Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Good General Purpose .357 Magnum load?

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Why? Not challenging you, just looking to get educated.
    Same here. Checking my Lyman data it indicates a magnum primer for the equivalent load. Then again it states a magnum primer for all .357 Magnum loads....

You use magnum primers to ignite large quantities of slow burning powder. If you can light 3gr of Bullseye in a .38 with a standard primer, you can light 5gr in a .357 using the same primer.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Same here. Checking my Lyman data it indicates a magnum primer for the equivalent load. Then again it states a magnum primer for all .357 Magnum loads....
    Check the Alliant reloading website for the load you're talking about and their primer recommendation.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Not only would they not be necessary, I think they are contra indicated for a powder that fast.
    Magnum primers are used for powders that need a hotter spark to burn more cleanly. The classic example is W296/H110. Most fast powders (Bullseye, Titegroup, Clays, etc.) work fine with standard primers. So do some slower powders; Alliant used standard (CCI 500) primers for their .357 Magnum 2400 data. I'd check across several sources (available online) to see what the preponderance of usage is before deciding.

IME, ball powders in general benefit from magnum primers, even the faster ones like W231/HP-38. I back off on the recommended loads and work up to a specific velocity window, keeping below the recommended max load to make sure the pressures stay reasonable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    One question though, would magnum primers be necessary for that 5.0 of bullseye?
    Absolutely not. Bullseye ignites very easily and its pressure curves in actual testing are beautifully consistent.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    If you're adamant about one powder: Unique.
    And this is why I'm so high on BE86. Unique is well, unique in that it is so versatile. IDK if BE86 will load light rifle calibers like Unique, but in handguns it's fully equivalent to Unique in regards to versatility and it's burn rate is almost identical. Where it wins is that it's much cleaner in lighter loads and it meters great. I also have it on good authority that it's the powder that Federal uses in it's Premium defensive ammo and some match loads too. It's not a new powder, it's been available to the OEMs for years only recently being a canister offering for reloaders.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Magnum primers are used for powders that need a hotter spark to burn more cleanly. The classic example is W296/H110. Most fast powders (Bullseye, Titegroup, Clays, etc.) work fine with standard primers. So do some slower powders; Alliant used standard (CCI 500) primers for their .357 Magnum 2400 data. I'd check across several sources (available online) to see what the preponderance of usage is before deciding.

IME, ball powders in general benefit from magnum primers, even the faster ones like W231/HP-38. I back off on the recommended loads and work up to a specific velocity window, keeping below the recommended max load to make sure the pressures stay reasonable.
    Agreed. Generally a magnum primer is ONLY needed with some ball powders and it's not burn rate that dictates it. An example is VV N110. It's actually considered a rifle powder and isn't a ball type powder. It's very slow burning for handguns. VV's data uses standard primers in the heavy magnum loads and it's stated that magnum primers aren't needed.

I don't use Magnum primers with my 2400 loads, and have had no problems. If I was using H110/W296 I might be more inclined to try them. I do have some around, but I have not found a reason to use them yet. Lighter "mid-range" loads using Bullseye/W231/Unique shouldn't need magnum primers. That is not to say that you can't use magnums, but I don't think they are necessary for most powders.

One load with one powder? Any 158 grain bullet over Unique. Simple, versatile, proven.

Old School Cool! Skeeter Skelton on the .357 Mag:

http://www.darkcanyon.net/MyFriend_The357.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    And this is why I'm so high on BE86. Unique is well, unique in that it is so versatile. IDK if BE86 will load light rifle calibers like Unique, but in handguns it's fully equivalent to Unique in regards to versatility and it's burn rate is almost identical. Where it wins is that it's much cleaner in lighter loads and it meters great. I also have it on good authority that it's the powder that Federal uses in it's Premium defensive ammo and some match loads too. It's not a new powder, it's been available to the OEMs for years only recently being a canister offering for reloaders.

Agreed. Generally a magnum primer is ONLY needed with some ball powders and it's not burn rate that dictates it. An example is VV N110. It's actually considered a rifle powder and isn't a ball type powder. It's very slow burning for handguns. VV's data uses standard primers in the heavy magnum loads and it's stated that magnum primers aren't needed.

I've just stared using BE86 in 10mm and have been impressed so far. Some say it's basically Power Pistol with flash suppressant but I wouldn't know.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    I've just stared using BE86 in 10mm and have been impressed so far. Some say it's basically Power Pistol with flash suppressant but I wouldn't know.
    I've been using it in 9x19, .38 Special and .45 ACP. I'm really pleased with it. No problems making factory-equivalent (or higher) loads with it using Alliant's data and it's far cleaner-burning than Unique.

User Tag List