Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How would you train for the Army Rifle Qual on a Civilian Range?

Honestly, I値l be very surprised if a lot of units play ball with the Alt-C thing. I expect that the logistical/planning considerations will be enough for most commanders to make the decision to continue using Alt-C. I fully expect that I値l be the first one to try the new qual in my BN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Get a bunch of 22LR, a 22LR rifle, and practice basic rifle marksmanship. Practice some position shooting with unsupported or poorly supported. If you can execute fundamentals with 22 rifle, you will do fine on a M16 style qualification course.

Finally, get a good 25 yard zero (or whatever they use today) and understand the ballistics of your issue rifle and impacts out to 300.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Get a bunch of 22LR, a 22LR rifle, and practice basic rifle marksmanship. Practice some position shooting with unsupported or poorly supported. If you can execute fundamentals with 22 rifle, you will do fine on a M16 style qualification course.

Finally, get a good 25 yard zero (or whatever they use today) and understand the ballistics of your issue rifle and impacts out to 300.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    This.
    I assume neither of you are actually familiar with the new qual? IIRC, there will be up to four targets at varying ranges presented at one time. I知 not aware of any BRM that teaches you how to do that. He痴 asking about the new qual, not the one that you shot.

I知 also not aware of any BRM that teaches you how to conduct mag reloads, even though most of us would agree that痴 a basic task. In fact, I知 pretty confident that most people would consider BRM to be slick. The new qual is forcing people to shoot in full kit and conduct mag reloads under time. This qual is designed to make it so that practicing sight picture and trigger squeeze with a .22 will no longer suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Yute View Post
    Looks pretty easy

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Looks pretty easy
    Ash Hess from KAC was pretty much the NCOIC of the redesign I believe. He made it clear that at one point in testing he went in confident and it humbled him pretty quickly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Looks pretty easy
    In full battle rattle, with troops who only shoot their issued rifle once a year and most of whom don't shoot anything else on their own time? Nope.

Army RC drill weekends are already a classic example of cramming a gallon of shit into a quart bucket. My guess is that training for the qual and the qual itself will take place during annual training since that's the only time units will have access to those ranges. This matters because that time was often used for NCO/officer education courses and technical schools, with weapons qual taking place during a drill weekend using the 25-meter course on a local range. The downstream effect of this will be increased time away from work and family due to attending this training in addition to the traditional weekend a month and two weeks AT...though admittedly that has been a factor since 9/11 anyway. This impacts retention since neither employers nor families are happy with the situation, and it does negatively impact those Soldiers affected. Requiring RC Soldiers to do additional training during the year also costs money; Big Army is famous for requiring additional training and not supplying the resources for it.

I still think this is a good move. I just hope the Army has done the necessary cost/benefit analyses and dedicated the additional resources required.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Ash Hess from KAC was pretty much the NCOIC of the redesign I believe. He made it clear that at one point in testing he went in confident and it humbled him pretty quickly.
    No idea who he is or what his capability is with a rifle. I can only speak for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Yute View Post
    This is a good video. Seems their is a lot of target transitions. I'd set up some little green cardboard targets, assume the firing position and use a timer and practice running the sequences. Trigger control, moving the gun. Aiming to the correct spot, pulling the trigger without wrecking the aim. The posted video talks of dry fire versions on Youtube but I couldn't find one.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    The posted video talks of dry fire versions on Youtube but I couldn't find one.
    It's this version here. If you can put it up on a projector and paired with laser tool like the SIRT bolt it could be pretty good training.

User Tag List