Thread: Question about 223 Wylde

Question about 223 Wylde

I'm looking at a pws 111 for my sbr upper. Do I need to be careful about my ammo selection in a 223 Wylde chamber? Iike NATO spec 5.56 for example or am I good to run anything through it?
    Thanks friends.

The .223 Wylde chamber was designed to use both .223 and 5.56 ammo. So, yes, you can shoot both in this chambering.
    Think of it as (microscopically) between .223 and 5.56. The major advantage of the .223 Wylde chambering is .223 accuracy due to the decreased freebore of the chamber putting the bullet closer to the rifling. Freebore is the space between a rifle’s chamber and the rifling in the barrel. The tighter the freebore the better the accuracy. The less distance the bullet has to move before contacting the rifling.
    You're only real consideration for ammo choices are what you plan to do with the rifle and how much you plan to do it. Wylde chambered barrels can be more expensive. Cheaper steel cased ammo can wear the chamber more quickly if it is shot frequently and in volumes which will erode accuracy.
    Generally someone will choose the .223 Wylde chambered barrel for a rifle for the accuracy aspect.
    Hope this helps.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

That was perfect, thank you.

User Tag List