Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 75th Ranger Regiment Armory in Afghanistan

75th Ranger Regiment Armory in Afghanistan

The War Zone: Take A Rare Look Inside An Army Ranger Armory Somewhere In Afghanistan

U.S. special operations service members conduct combat operations in support of Operation Resolute Support in Afghanistan, February 2019. RS is a NATO-led mission to train, advise, and assist the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces and institutions. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. Jaerett Engeseth)

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Since I don’t know, are those stocks (on the table) designed to enhance control over full auto/burst fire?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Since I don’t know, are those stocks (on the table) designed to enhance control over full auto/burst fire?
    That's the standard FN Minimi stock as designed 40-some years ago. It allows you to put your hands on the stock to help control the weapon, but it's not any sort of special accessory.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

3/75...yuck...

I kid, they’re some good folks.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Genuinely did not know you guys were using Elcan stuff at all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's the standard FN Minimi stock as designed 40-some years ago. It allows you to put your hands on the stock to help control the weapon, but it's not any sort of special accessory.
    Most shooters I know prefer it to the Para stock...

With the gun resting on its bipod you hook your support hand fingers into the indentations on the stock, either top or bottom depending on your preference. The support hand helps pull the stock into the shoulder. Now that I think about it, since snipers are taught to preload the bipod, while using a bean bag squeezed by the support hand to help stabilize the vertical movement of the stock...see where I am going? Different techniques for different weapons systems I guess.

Those Eotechs look like the AA versions, as well...

pat

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Genuinely did not know you guys were using Elcan stuff at all.
    Yup, the ELCAN M145 has been a standard machine gun optic in the system for a while, mostly for the Army (USMC going with an ACOG variant). The ELCAN Specter has also been in the system for a while within the SOCOM community.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Most shooters I know prefer it to the Para stock...

With the gun resting on its bipod you hook your support hand fingers into the indentations on the stock, either top or bottom depending on your preference. The support hand helps pull the stock into the shoulder. Now that I think about it, since snipers are taught to preload the bipod, while using a bean bag squeezed by the support hand to help stabilize the vertical movement of the stock...see where I am going? Different techniques for different weapons systems I guess.

Those Eotechs look like the AA versions, as well...

pat
    I've fired both to a reasonable extent, and strongly prefer the original clubfoot stock as well.

Yup, the ELCAN M145 has been a standard machine gun optic in the system for a while, mostly for the Army (USMC going with an ACOG variant). The ELCAN Specter has also been in the system for a while within the SOCOM community.

I've fired both to a reasonable extent, and strongly prefer the original clubfoot stock as well.
    Are the rubber bands on the grips to aid in maintaining a sweaty grip during full auto fire? Or are they occasionally pulled off to be used for something else? I know basically nothing about that weapon system

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Are the rubber bands on the grips to aid in maintaining a sweaty grip during full auto fire? Or are they occasionally pulled off to be used for something else? I know basically nothing about that weapon system
    No idea on that piece, but it certainly makes sense. The M249 grip is so oversized that I can't imagine putting more mass around the circumference, making it even bigger.

@JRB, @03RN

The newer collapsible stocks aren't bad. We have them on our 240's and 249's and they might not be quite as stable as the original, but being able to collapse them down helps when wearing an IOTV. The original seems like it would probably be the best for accuracy, or shooting off a tripod or ring mount, but might be a bit hard to maneuver with, sort of like the M16 stock. I've only shot a few rounds through a 249 with the old style stock and it wasn't with armor on, but it wasn't bad. I don't have any experience with the true para stocks, but they look less than ideal.

User Tag List