Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attention PF Docs - - - Treatment for sore shoulder (old guy)

Buzz I can relate, I had a similar spell shooting a bunch of rounds a year or two ago. I hope you feel better.

If it helps, this is what I posted May '18 in my journal.

Well, I think my USPSA career is over.

Ever since the 7 stage match, I've had pretty bad painful shoulder pain. The pain is centered left side, rear, exactly in the same place as I had last fall when I had shot a bunch of rounds trying out a G19.

After two to three weeks of Motrin and Ice treatments, I'm just now seeing some reduction in discomfort. I opted not to see the Orthopedic Doc 1) it is a boat load of money for my deductable and 2) it was just below the threshold for me of pain (for whatever reason pain doesn't seem to affect me like it does most people.)

Anyways, given the same result (shoulder issues) from essentially the same source (multiple rounds in a day) I am going to call a halt to any thoughts I had of qualifying this year. I'll continue to make monthly proficiency runs to the square range, but I don't think I'll physically be able to stand up to shooting a match anymore.

Bummer, but life is about more than shooting. Plus it will give me a chance to reinvent my dry practice skills, work on my draw and try out my new G26.5 (which, believe it or not, I have not shot yet.)

next post

Went to my Orthopedic Center this morning. They took X-rays and did a physical assessment.

The Doc saw no evidence of Arthritis or degradation of the bones, so that was good.

Apparently I have Subacromial Bursitus, an inflammation of the bursa sac between certain bones in the shoulder. As I raise my arm, there is impingement of the bursa, causing pain. This was likely brought on by the 7-stage match plus how I used to sleep (arms over head/on tummy - I stopped doing that after this all started.)

So, no surgery, but he gave me a shot in the joint. I’m to follow up with some PT as well as do some exercises he’s going to send me to strengthen my rotator cuffs to reduce risk of this in future.

The shot is really helping; tonight is the first time I’ve been essentially out of pain for four weeks. No Motrin tonight either.

I’ll likely work this all offline, so it doesn’t look like I’ll be updating my journal for a while.

Get well soon.

Last winter I fell and must have tried to stop the fall with my arm and jammed the ball into the socket. I forget what the doc called it (impacted rotator maybe?) but it hurt for a couple of months and a year later still sometimes has a dull ache. They had me doing stretches which actually seemed to help. One was basically pulling the bad arm arm across the body with the other arm. Another was up and behind the back of the neck using a towel, or something as an extension so the other arm could pull. I also use Biofreeze. If nothing else, it opens my sinuses.

Try some non THC hemp. Works for me. My doc won't talk about. He prescribed PT, didn't do a damn thing for me and I kept to the schedule for a month. If you happen to be in a state where you can buy it go directly to Garden of Life 30 mil caps. Neighbor uses it for knee pain. I use it for sciatica. Hope you find some relief.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-20-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I'm not an old guy, but I've had 2 shoulder surgeries and neck pain issues for a while.

I highly recommend hanging from a bar. It seems so simple but its amazing what simply hanging from a pull up on a regular basis will do for you shoulder and neck.

Obviously check with your PT and you may need to work up to a full hang (ie keep feet on the floor to start).

We are almost all hunched over our computers for too long so this is good for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmt7uSU3mmU

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by karandom View Post
    I like the Bob and Brad stuff. Always good info, particularly regarding posture issues. I'll try that hanging stuff.

As a shooter, one thing I find aggravates my shoulder is racking slides. I have a bunch of hand issues, so that may be unique to me. I avoid racking by using the slidelock off an empty mag.

This is a good tip, too:

(I'm not a doctor...)
    Last edited by idahojess; 02-21-2020 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    As a shooter, one thing I find aggravates my shoulder is racking slides. I have a bunch of hand issues, so that may be unique to me. I avoid racking by using the slidelock off an empty mag.
    Will your hands and shoulder let you anchor the slide with the off hand and rack the pistol?

The off hand grip doesn’t need to be that exaggerated but covering the ejection port is not conducive to malfunction clearing and pinching the pinkie in the ejection port hurts and prevents the pistol from going into battery.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    Will your hands and shoulder let you anchor the slide with the off hand and rack the pistol?
    When I rack the slide, I do try to use the strong (left) hand to push forward. However, due to very limited mobility and strength in my weak hand fingers, I can't grasp a slide like that.

I can rack a slide -- it's just that when I do it (for me) it ends up that my weak (literally) arm has that very bad forward rotation position with the shoulder that causes all sorts of shoulder issues. One of the things I've been playing with is a super tight-in to my body position while racking, almost at chest level. But, for easy use, I prefer to just use the slide release, if I can.

(And yeah, an M&P EZ 9 is on my list of possible purchases.)

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and suggestions! There is hope!!

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    When I rack the slide, I do try to use the strong (left) hand to push forward. However, due to very limited mobility and strength in my weak hand fingers, I can't grasp a slide like that.

I can rack a slide -- it's just that when I do it (for me) it ends up that my weak (literally) arm has that very bad forward rotation position with the shoulder that causes all sorts of shoulder issues. One of the things I've been playing with is a super tight-in to my body position while racking, almost at chest level. But, for easy use, I prefer to just use the slide release, if I can.

(And yeah, an M&P EZ 9 is on my list of possible purchases.)

I don’t know if this is useful. Something I played around with for a minute was how to with the thumb and no fingers. It’s like the sling shot but it’s grasping the slide from the top and picking it between the thumb and side of the index finger knuckle. Not particularly nice to skin on the side of the knuckle, but it’s a surprisingly strong grasp.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post

I don’t know if this is useful. Something I played around with for a minute was how to with the thumb and no fingers. It’s like the sling shot but it’s grasping the slide from the top and picking it between the thumb and side of the index finger knuckle. Not particularly nice to skin on the side of the knuckle, but it’s a surprisingly strong grasp.
    Yep, that's very similar to what I do, pinch between the thumb and index finger, or really the pad of my palm below the index finger-- plus I grip tape the slide, and have ledge rear sights.

A lot of this stuff I don't really think about how I do it. Just trial and error.

User Tag List