Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attention PF Docs - - - Treatment for sore shoulder (old guy)

Attention PF Docs - - - Treatment for sore shoulder (old guy)

Here’s the deal. Shoot about 200-400 rounds a week, almost all 9mm (small amount of .22LR). Usually in G19. Have a sore strong side shoulder. Primary cause, I think, was the result of “batting” a fallen limb against a tree trunk to break the limb for disposal. Limb wasn't as rotten as I thought, didn’t break, but shoulder did feel the impact. The initial problem/pain appeared solved with a shot (cortisone or something similar) from orthopedist and PT (stretching, etc.). This happened a couple of years ago.

In the last year or so, shoulder has developed a dull ache, and I’m not sure of the cause, i.e., is it related to that original injury, is it exacerbated by shooting, age (71 on next birthday). Pain does seem to increase a bit after shooting, and I probably have been doing more lately, perhaps carrying/using fairly large backpack leaf blower (with the blower tube held by my strong side hand), or maybe even using laptop mouse. The stretching exercises (“rubber bands”) and light weights help pain go away, but usually only for a few hours. Sometimes wake up in the middle of the night with shoulder or elbow ache.

Been back to ortho. He’s X-rayed shoulder and neck (no MRI), and hasn’t seen anything as a clear cause (some arthritis, couple of small spurs, but no rotator cuff issue, no "ah ha - - - that's it" as cause). Early on he prescribed diclofenac. More recently, just Tylenol and ibuprofen. And continue the PT.

Doing all that, but still nagging pain. It's primarily a bother when still (sitting, sleeping). Not as noticeable when active.

Any of you docs, higher volume shooters, and/or old guys, had similar pain and found a cause, treatment and/or solution?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post

and/or old guys, had similar pain and found a cause, treatment and/or solution?

Thanks!!
    Old guy here. 74. You mean that the only thing that hurts is your shoulder. Lucky you. LOL

Leaf blower; probably. I can't use a weed eater at all. I've had problems with a lot of mouse use too.

I use bands, Ibuprofen and I use those little exercise balls and rubber bands. I also get tuned up by a chiropractor every few weeks. I've been taking Celebrex for several years.

Repetitive injury from casting a fly rod? Joking, but only half-joking.

My area of expertise is about one foot down and one foot center of your shoulder so I'll promptly shut up after this post. Three points of observation:
    - X-ray is a very crude and basic tests, especially when looking at soft tissues. I think MR or something like this would be better.
    - Long term ibuprofen, celebrex etc provide a good chunk of business to me, my GI friends, my nephro colleagues and I would not recommend it as a long term patch.
    - I've just consulted on a case of two cerebral arteries injury with multi-focal strokes likely due to chiro neck manipulation. I wouldn't let anyone manipulate my neck except for a massage.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Repetitive injury from casting a fly rod? Joking, but only half-joking.

My area of expertise is about one foot down and one foot center of your shoulder so I'll promptly shut up after this post. Three points of observation:
    - X-ray is a very crude and basic tests, especially when looking at soft tissues. I think MR or something like this would be better.
    - Long term ibuprofen, celebrex etc provide a good chunk of business to me, my GI friends, my nephro colleagues and I would not recommend it as a long term patch.
    - I've just consulted on a case of two cerebral arteries injury with multi-focal strokes likely due to chiro neck manipulation. I wouldn't let anyone manipulate my neck except for a massage.
    Probably should have elaborated. Doc did say short term on ibuprofen/Tylenol. And said if there was no improvement soon, "we" should do an MRI. Trying to find a fix, other than "change sport", that doesn't involve sharp instruments, drugs, etc. It's just that I have a three day class coming up the end of April, and wanted to see if I could get rid of soreness and pick up training pace before then.

Fly casting . . . "the gentle art"? Just couldn't happen. Actually, it can, and particularly when the angler works too hard at casting instead of letting the rod do the work. A late friend of mine, Lefty Kreh, was a terrific person, angler and caster, and he taught and preached a very efficient and effective casting stroke he used, so that he could fish all day without getting tired. Some people's casting looks like swatting flies. Lefty's looked like a slow motion replay, but it was just perfect timing. Apologies for digressing . . .

I AM NOT A DOCTOR. I had some sore shoulder issues. Long story short, I have been taking Turmeric daily and don't ever plan to stop. Puritans Pride is always on sale + SALE15 is 15% off right now.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ts-of-turmeric

Edit: I was starting to take Advil regularly and found out that was bad. Was told about a local massage person who actually helped my shoulder a lot. But they recommended the Turmeric vice Advil/Tylenol.

I probably need to reevaluate the long term dose now that my shoulder is fine.

Hopefully the MDs have insight into this supplement. Billions of Indians eat the stuff daily... Can't be that bad!
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 02-20-2020 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I've had problems with a lot of mouse use too.
    I strongly recommend a roller ball mouse. You'll wonder how you got on without it before.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-M570...2202644&sr=8-3
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I have/had similar problems myself. It got so bad at one point it kept me from mountain biking. My ortho diagnosed it as a strength imbalance and gave me a list of exercises and stretches to perform. Doing that for several weeks and then incorporating more stretching, shoulder shrugs, and flys, and reverse flys into my workout routine has mostly kept the pain away (can sometimes bother me at night if I sleep on a shoulder too long).

Chris

I'm thinking/hoping this is my problem as well. Certainly share the sleeping on shoulder/pain issue. Waiting on callback for PT appt.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I have/had similar problems myself. It got so bad at one point it kept me from mountain biking. My ortho diagnosed it as a strength imbalance and gave me a list of exercises and stretches to perform. Doing that for several weeks and then incorporating more stretching, shoulder shrugs, and flys, and reverse flys into my workout routine has mostly kept the pain away (can sometimes bother me at night if I sleep on a shoulder too long).

Chris

How old is your mattress and is it supportive? Does it sag in the middle?

How’s your posture when you sit?

If you’re a side sleeper they make pillows for that. If you’re sleeping on your side because you can’t breathe or get comfortable on your back, it may be time for a new mattress and/or pillows.

If you slouch when you sit or end up in a rounded position when you sleep, you may pass a Neer or Hawkins test for impingement, but your posture or position leaves you internally rotated and the turbecle on the head of you humerus starts compressing tissue inside you shoulder.
    Last edited by txdpd; 02-20-2020 at 12:34 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I have issues with my shoulder when sleeping as well. It comes and goes with whether my rotator cuff is acting up or not. The Tempurpedic is not to blame.

(Chronic since a mountaineering injury in 1974. Lifting helped greatly but the issue still comes and goes.)

Unfortunately, I can only sleep on my back when it's daylight out. At night it doesn't work for me, no matter what. So, relegated to side sleep. (Have the right pillows.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List