Thread: Book recommendation thread

Book recommendation?

I've started commuting two hours a day and I could use some book recommendations. The problem is that there are tons of books that come with high praise and good reviews but more often than not end up being cheesy, preachy, or completely inconsistent with my experience and worldview. It's hard to find a decent book that's entertaining and still rings true. I figure PF minght be a good source for recommendations. Anybody have any?

I'll start:

Wolves (D. J. Molles)
    Thunder Below (E. B. Fluckey)
    Dictator's Handbook (Mesquita and Smith)
    Last edited by Super77; 05-02-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Oh, that's embarrassing. Thanks

Fighter Pilot: the Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.amazon.com/Department-Se.../dp/1524748218

The Department of Sensitive Crimes: A Detective Varg Novel

I had no idea what to expect from this book. I still am not sure how to describe it. Despite the name there's very little "detective novel" here. There's almost no finding whodunit at what there is is incidental. There's no real interviews, no detective finding the tiny thing that breaks the case, etc. It's almost no story at all, or rather it's just people being people and some of those people are police or detectives. Or their spouses. That said it's not exactly Seinfeld either, unless Seinfeld was written as a Swedish philosophy buff with an extensive vocabulary.

What it is, though, is beautifully written. It's a painting with words and superbly done. Perhaps it's a philosophy book masquerading as a novel but intentionally letting it's true nature show for those who look. It's literature in the artistic meaning. I enjoyed it immensely. I also learned a few new words, metonym being my favorite.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 02-22-2020 at 07:29 PM. Reason: wrong thread
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List