Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My 9 year old daughter needs a rifle

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'd at least take a look at the Savage Rascal. That's what I started my son on after comparing to the Cricket,...
    We too shopped the Rascal vs. the Cricket and went with the Savage.

So... Barrett Light Fifty is out?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

https://ruger.com/products/precision...eets/8400.html

Length of Pull 12" - 15.50"?
    Might be heavy, might be a lightweight barrel option out there?

Agreed. I bought one of these for my granddaughter, and put a fixed 10x mil/mil scope on it with a spare rimfire can I had in the safe.

https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc....ecision-rifle/

She loves shooting it with Paw-Paw.

Savage Rascal is 100% designed as a child's gun--everything is miniature, including the weight. However, it's really an item that's going to be disposed of once she outgrows it.

The 457 is more of a First Gun. It's much heavier than the Rascal, at 5 pounds to the Savage's 2, but it's got a much nicer stock. As she gets bigger, you can move it over to a full-size stock/chassis and it comes with a single-shot sled while still having the option of a DBM. It's also more than twice the price of the Rascal ($400 vs $170).

I think it's close. The CZ is a ton more expensive, even though I feel like the price gap is nonexistent after resale--but who's gonna resell a First Gun? You could get the Rascal in a hardwood stock for around $220, and get it most of the way to the feel of the CZ, but you're gonna end up replacing it, whereas the CZ could hang in NRL22. So the question for me would be, do I want to make a $200 now and maybe wind up getting another .22 later, or do I just want to spend more and get one gun?

Site Supporter
    The CZ scout is nice.

I got my daughter a Marlin 915YN when I was in the market for such a thing. She and her baby brother both learned on it, though brother proved to not be able to comprehend iron sights as a child and so it got a nice little 4x scope mounted on it.

It’s still sitting in the back of the safe waiting for one of them to pop a sprog. I take it out to hike/casually hunt Thumpers with once in a while.

Would the Ruger American Rimfire compact work? It's available with a threaded muzzle and an interchangeable stock piece to lengthen the LOP as she grows.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    So... Barrett Light Fifty is out?
    Is it available in youth.

My son is now nine also a smaller fella 50lbs with clothes on. I bought him a savage mark 2 in 22lr for Christmas a few years ago. It's a little big but he has shot it quite a bit. Before hunting season 2018/2019 I bought a savage 110 in 243. Both guns share the same trigger and controls. At first I wondered if I had chosen the right gun. Three deer dead where they stood that year told me it was a good choice for us. I'm thankful for the time he spent with the bolt action 22 prior. Most range days now he is shooting my 15/22 and enjoying 25 round mags.

For my daughter's 10th birthday I got her a Ruger 10/22 with the stock cut down to her length of pull and painted her favorite color green that she picked out. I also added a Williams peep sight. That was 20 years ago last May. She still has the rifle and still shoots it with a standard stock now. She has kept the favorite color green birthday stock and plans on using it when she has her own 10 year old. She just might need to refinish it with someone else's favorite color.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I need recommendations on a bolt action, short LOP (length of pull), threaded for suppressor .22 rifle. Open sights are fine. She’s small for her age, but needs to start training on my back acreage for a hunt with me hosted by Giving Back. Right now, I’m wondering if we will need to buy an aftermarket stock because of the LOP issue.
    I have two daughters, ages 10-1/2 & almost 9. They've been occasionally shooting a Savage Rascal for a couple of years now. They are just now growing into the Rascal LOP. Standing, the weight is still an issue for the younger.

I started them with a cut down 10/22, painted in a color they picked. That was WAY too heavy for them to hold while standing. Both girls are normal kids, can climb and swing on the monkey bars, but can't hold that rifle up without a struggle. Enter the Rascal. To my amazement, it was still too heavy at the start. Given that, my feeling is that the CZ 457 at 5 lbs is more for small adults than teaching kids. Obviously, the CZ is a higher class rifle, and as shooting enthusiasts we appreciate that. But since you said she is 9 and small for her age, why saddle her with an overly heavy nice rifle that she won't be able to properly stand and hold for (maybe) years?

If everything will be from a rest, whatever length they can properly hold.

User Tag List