Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: pistol-forum.com Rogers Shooting School trip 6-11 May 2012

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Anybody knows what exact ammo Rogers uses/provides for his students?
    IIRC - Vinh was shooting 124gr Blazer CleanFire TMJ

1) Wonder if the issue was the Blazer case, as the Lawman 124 TMJ is likely an identical bullet, with a brass case?

2) On the Rogers flashlight technique, I found the Surefire Polymer Z light with the ring worked well, although it is large for EDC. On a smaller light, the Quark did not work for me, as the design of the tail cap made it hard to reliably activate the light. I have a two cell Streamlight, the same size as the Quark, that once fitted with a large rubber band works great, and is now my EDC. While I prefer the WML Surefire, I have the Streamlight with me daily, and feel confident with its use, after working this on the Rogers range.

Sounds like we all missed a great class. I too would like to see a video of the WHO draw.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    No-no, can't do, not until we learn about the top secret SHO draw..
    Yeah, this!
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

So doing this class with such a great group of shooters was awesome. I'm a big believer in participating with folks that are better than you, if you want to get better yourself. Just listening to folks discuss things was awesome, on break or during chow. At the same time, my results on the range forced me to really focus on the relatively basic level of fundamentals that I'm able to muster: front sight, trigger press. Because of the tight timeframes at RSS, this is the first time I've had to steer the sights and work the trigger at the same time. It felt like learning to drive stick - all my various body parts know how to do each thing individually, but it takes some practice to be able to coordinate them together. This was the big epiphany for me from RSS, and I don't think I'll have a range trip in the near future that doesn't include some conscious practice of doing both at once.

If there was something I would add or change, it's that there wasn't any SOM to speak of, and the night-shoot was just enough to confirm that I don't even know what I don't know when it comes to low-light stuff. But it was all educational and I came away with more exposure than I had going in.

So, yeah, RSS was the most intense gun-related experience I've ever had. Equal parts sublime exhilaration and soul-crushing frustration, but somehow by the end of the week those steel plates looked a little bigger than they did on Monday, and the times felt a little more realistic. And really, I mean, they're big old 8" plates at 7-25 yards. It wasn't as accuracy-focused as some of the drills I often run. But those timeframes add a whole new dimension. I've got a lot of new-found confidence in the kind of shooting that might be necessary in real life, and more importantly, I've got a lot of ideas on how to continue to improve at that kind of shooting.

And the shooting school itself is only half the reason why this trip was so great. I got lucky to be able to spend most of my time shooting with Vinh. He doesn't say much, but when he speaks it makes a lot of sense. I'll be changing a few key things in my shooting thanks to his input. I also spent some time on the same lane with Grant, who also did awesome in spite of a new battle scar, as well as with the retired SEAL who was taking the class with us. I learned a lot from watching and talking to each of them, as well as watching others on the line when I wasn't shooting: the Todds, JV, Mick, and the rest.

Thanks to TLG for setting this up and handling the ammo logistics and stuff. I don't know what my shooting schedule will be like, but I can definitely see myself doing RSS again in the next year or three.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

We are diminished
    I finally got around to pulling some photos off my camera from the class:

User Tag List