Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Form 1 can builds

There are several vendors who offer quality parts that you can build a form 1 can with. You can find tubes and other parts machined from titanium, stainless steel, and aluminum. These require some finishing work by the builder.

You can spend as much on these parts as buying a commercial can, or close to it. The biggest advantage to going this route right now is that ATF is approving form 1 submissions in as little as 30 days.

I recommend that anyone interested in doing this take a look at Form1suppresor.boards.net. There is a wealth of information available there.

I have a Form 1 rimfire can that I made using a Quiet Bore kit. The tube is aluminum and baffles are titanium.

I think Form 1 cans are great for rimfire. You end up with the same materials and construction method that the commercial offerings use, but with a 4 week wait and usually less cost. All in my kit was $250 including the jig and bit to drill the cups and end cap. It took 20 days for my Form 1 to be approved last fall.

When you get up to center-fire cans I think you give up a lot. The newer sleeveless designs from Q, YHM, Dead Air, etc are much lighter with more internal volume. Even with a sleeved if you weld the baffle stack together you can use a thinner walled outer tube.

My YHM Turbo K was $300 on sale which is a friggen steal for how good it is. Every time I price out a Form 1 .30 call can using primarily titanium with a few 17-4 blast baffles it ends up being $600+ and heavier than I want. yHM Resonator is the same weight and cheaper while a Nomad Ti is a little more expensive and a lot lighter. Plus they have warranties.

This looks interesting.

https://www.straightsixtactical.com/...20(30cal).html

There is a therad here on the form1suppressor.boards.net.

https://form1suppressor.boards.net/t...l-kit-preorder

$205 to $240 plus tax stamp sounds like a decent deal.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    This looks interesting.

https://www.straightsixtactical.com/...20(30cal).html

There is a therad here on the form1suppressor.boards.net.

https://form1suppressor.boards.net/t...l-kit-preorder

$205 to $240 plus tax stamp sounds like a decent deal.
    I agree it is interesting. It's also 18 oz.

You could order a YHM Resonator, with a QD attachment, for $500 or less. It would be quieter, lighter, and have a warranty. And an inconnel blast baffle.

I still think Form 1 makes sense for pistol and rimfire cans, but you are giving up a lot compared to modern tubeless rifle cans.

So I can pay twice as much, wait for nine months to a year, if I can find it in stock, and save 1.2 oz in weight. Oh, and get a lifetime warranty I will probably never use.

I understand what you are saying but, $250+ more and wait for who knows how long are not great selling points.

On the other hand, I can order this and submit my form 1 now and probably have them both by mid next month. Not to mention it's more fun to do it yourself.

I'm thinking of making it dedicated to my 10.5 inch 5.56. Directly connect it to the barrel. I'm not sure if there is something out there that would do better for that price so I'm still looking around. Just thinking out loud right now.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

I’m thinking about doing a Form 1 .22 rimfire suppressor build. I know absolutely nothing about the legitimate vendors who sell kits. Who offers the best ones?
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Not a recommendation but an interesting video.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Not a recommendation but an interesting video.

If the serial numbered tube on the outside of the can survived the abuse, he could replace the core, maintain the tube and still have an operable and legal suppressor.

I’d pay a lot more for this exact can in Ti. Anyone know where I can find one? $200 stamp plus a $200 kit would be a deal.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    If the serial numbered tube on the outside of the can survived the abuse, he could replace the core, maintain the tube and still have an operable and legal suppressor.

That is a very grey area. ATF had been clear that as an individual you cannot manufacture new components or repair your own can after completion.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    That is a very grey area. ATF had been clear that as an individual you cannot manufacture new components or repair your own can after completion.
    OK. I will admit I’m not an expert. He is an SOT, and he manufactured the can to begin with. So I went with the assumption that the serialized part was undamaged, and he was replacing other parts. I viewed it like replacing an end cap, or using two end caps, one in 22lr, one in 9mm (as the manufacturer). Again I could be completely wrong.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

User Tag List