Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Econobox/sub compact choice

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    We loved almost everything about our Honda Fit. Room was great, very efficient, and it was easy to cram an inordinate amount of stuff in it.

Unfortunately we also found it woefully underpowered.
    The Fit has 117 HP and 100 - 105 lb-ft of torque. Not overwhelming but much more than a car that size with a 1.5 liter engine would have dreamed of 20 years ago.

A Fit has been my daily commuter for 10 years. I don't have any trouble with freeway driving, including merging, for two reasons: I bought the Sport model which has a manual mode and paddle shifters in its auto transmission, and I don't mind revving the engine into the powerband which is at a much higher rev range than most Americans are used to.

American drivers, by and large, just aren't comfortable with engines running at 5 - 6K RPM to deliver the goods.

Get it with the manual transmission or with the manual-mode AT, drive it like it should be, and it'll do alright even if you won't win any races.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I've been driving a Diesel Soul for about a year now. Great car.

Only downsides are that my Benelli doesn't fit in the boot with the full mag extension on, and I wish I had bought the auto rather than the manual.
    My AR pistol fits just fine.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    20+ years ago, it seemed diesel was going to be the answer to automotive economy. A guy I worked with had a Passat and was averaging 43 MPG, and it was a roomy car. Never quite took off like I thought.

I also remember when diesel was cheaper than gasoline. Not sure what happened to change that.
    Taxes.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

My wife has a 2015 Fit with manual, and it is a great car. She's getting over 40mpg on a fairly long commute. The only time I drive it is when taking the dos to the vet because it's way easier to get them in and out of than my Taco. It's also the only time it gets driven hard.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

If you prefer the sporty end of the econobox spectrum, look at the Mazda offerings. We put 200k on our Mazda3 before it finally got tired.

20+ years ago, it seemed diesel was going to be the answer to automotive economy. A guy I worked with had a Passat and was averaging 43 MPG, and it was a roomy car. Never quite took off like I thought.

I also remember when diesel was cheaper than gasoline. Not sure what happened to change that.
    I bought the diesel more for how they drive, I really like that big wave of torque when the turbo kicks in.

Diesel was similar here, looked to be the future ,but I think the diesel price went up and more economical petrol motors overtook it again.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    We have a Mazda 2 right now, they are discontinued.

If we needed to replace it tomorrow, a Honda Fit would almost assuredly be what we bought.

So - Honda Fit.

Though I see Dodge is running it’s cash back on horsepower again. Does she want a Hellcat Challenger? Get $7920 off...
    The 2 is discontinued under the Mazda label in NA, but Toyota sells it as a rebaged Yaris with the updated Mazda interior and 6 speed auto or manual. Currently only in sedan form but I believe the hatch will go on sale as a 20 or 21 model.

We just purchased a 2019 CX5 GT-Reserve. 2.5 Turbo, 250 HP, 310 lb-ft of torque, and AWD. So far I'm really impressed with it, and it makes me want for a Mazda 6 wagon with the same power and drivetrain.

I also can't say for sure, but it seems to me that the Fit Sport has a different VTEC calibration kicking in around 4500 rpm when the auto trans is in manual mode. I can definitely feel a harder pull from 4500 upwards when I shift it myself than when I leave it in Drive.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    We started having to have low-sulfur diesel to work with the DEF aftertreatment and particulate filters, to keep emissions down. Getting the sulfur out costs money.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    We started having to have low-sulfur diesel to work with the DEF aftertreatment and particulate filters, to keep emissions down. Getting the sulfur out costs money.
    That is true but that is not the driver that keeps diesel more expensive than 87 octane in most states. Taxes are.

So, given that American cars aren't the piles of shit they used to be, how do the contemporary offerings from Chevy and Ford fair against the Honda Fit?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List