Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Econobox/sub compact choice

Underpowered can be fun. "DON'T LIFT" was always the mantra when learning to drive in my mom's 84' rabbit diesel. Nearly got my learner's permit pulled due to that and would do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Unfortunately we also found it woefully underpowered.
    It does seem like they miss the opportunity to offer a little more in the power train department. I have read of people upgrading them with just a little bit of performance wheel and tire enhancement and they are light enough they handle well by default.

I am driving my daughter's Fit with no issue and I'm 6'5". I like the visibility and a bit of purposeful simplicity: it still has a manual door that takes the outside air. Fit can also be had with a manual transmission, although the 6th gear is rather useless (too close to the 5th), I'm told. The one I'm familiar with is an automatic. Note that current generation Fit uses a CVT, so it's unknown how well that lasts.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Note that current generation Fit uses a CVT, so it's unknown how well that lasts.
    I've rented a couple of cars with CVTs. Both had a faint, annoying high-pitched wine akin to a dental drill being heard at a distance. I'll stick to geared transmissions.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    My beater car has been an '04 Outback for the last while. It gets me on and off muddy jobsites if I leave my truck there for extended work, but at 23 mpg it still hurts to drive.

I've been thinking about something very efficient since I also live 20 miles from town. My last experience with these type of vehicles was various '96-'00 Civics which served admirably over the years. If I'm looking to spend $5k-$6k these days for the most economical and long-term reliable 4-door I can reasonably find, am I looking for a Prius? An old Fit?

Nothing I have here, with the exception of motorcycles, gets over that 23 mpg mark, and I don't know diddly about these small cars. I spent over $5k in fuel last year; it's just not necessary to spend that much. I'm listening to this conversation with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    My beater car has been an '04 Outback for the last while. It gets me on and off muddy jobsites if I leave my truck there for extended work, but at 23 mpg it still hurts to drive.

I've been thinking about something very efficient since I also live 20 miles from town. My last experience with these type of vehicles was various '96-'00 Civics which served admirably over the years. If I'm looking to spend $5k-$6k these days for the most economical and long-term reliable 4-door I can reasonably find, am I looking for a Prius? An old Fit?

Nothing I have here, with the exception of motorcycles, gets over that 23 mpg mark, and I don't know diddly about these small cars. I spent over $5k in fuel last year; it's just not necessary to spend that much. I'm listening to this conversation with interest.
    I would say the Fit, personally. I would stay away from hybrids if you're looking at getting a beater on the cheap that is already old, and wanting to keep it until its ancient and treat it like an Apache treats his horse.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I live 2.7 miles from the office, so gas mileage isn't really a problem. But if I just drive back and forth to work and stop at the grocery store and Home Depot on the way, my driving is mostly in cold-start warmup mode. I've been thinking I should pick up an old used Honda to withstand that while being less crappe than my old used GMC van. Will look into the Fit.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Best recommendation I ever saw for the Fit... active duty SF buddy of mine bought one with combat pay, (then spent the rest on guns, ammo, and an actual bank vault)... and absolutely loves it. The ultimate grey man car. Not looking for trouble, no target on your back for thefts, carjackings... just blends into the landscape and disappears.

Name:  6DE86359-427E-4CC2-835A-6FD16B2ED1D1.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  63.0 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Name:  6DE86359-427E-4CC2-835A-6FD16B2ED1D1.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  63.0 KB
    Okay, I don’t hate that.

User Tag List