Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Econobox/sub compact choice

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    So we were going through Cincinnatti to visit some friends, and were approaching town from the South going up I75. If you are familiar with the area this is a fairly long climb, up hill. The Fit struggled quite a bit with hills (it was just us two with luggage)
    Once again, people expecting to drive a 1.5 liter car like they would drive a 3 - 5 liter engined car. It just doesn't work.

I know exactly the roads you're describing. It's part of my home turf. Drive around and through Cincinnati and into northern Kentucky more than a few times a year.

My Fit has no trouble through those roads, but I will override the auto shifter and will climb those hills in 3rd gear at 75 mph while you were probably gasping for air in 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Once again, people expecting to drive a 1.5 liter car like they would drive a 3 - 5 liter engined car. It just doesn't work.

I know exactly the roads you're describing. It's part of my home turf. Drive around and through Cincinnati and into northern Kentucky more than a few times a year.

My Fit has no trouble through those roads, but I will override the auto shifter and will climb those hills in 3rd gear at 75 mph while you were probably gasping for air in 4th.
    Well bless your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Well bless your heart.
    Ok boomer

Summarization thus far:

Honda/Toyota: Little more pricey, maybe not as good looking as the American cars, but they are a higher build quality and have smoother engines with better economy.

American: Little cheaper, may look better depending on taste, engines are rough

Alpha Seirra: Still a douchebag that goes out of his way to needlessly trainwreck threads, picking fights with even the most innocent and kind hearted men on the forum like Rich.

So that leaves us with the Korean options. Hyundai and KIA, anyone?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I find the Focus RS more fun to drive than even a new 911.
    350 HP? Holy Shit.

I used to have a '67 Cooper S...76 HP felt like a lot in a 10' shoebox.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    So that leaves us with the Korean options. Hyundai and KIA, anyone?
    Kia - Sold by Kia dealerships which suck worse than GM Dealerships.

Hyundai - Actually not a bad option/choice in my opinion/experience. My BIL is on his third Elantra in 7 years. The first two are dead, both from hitting hoofed rats (white tails) at night at approximately 70 mph. The last time my wife was in the car with him, he did everything right, was driving the speed limit, but couldn't avoid an 8-point buck. Air bags went off and the car was torn the fuck up, but both my wife and him didn't even have a scratch. USAA actually fixed the car and then Hyundai offered him 1.5x in trade-in on a new Elantra and he took them up on it, he ended up with enough on trade-in to pay off his note and have 2.5k down on the new car.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The car has just under 70k on it and the plugs are good for at least 100k
    I agree and I would have never expected them to be an issue, until one day (while hitchhiking home from a small midwestern college...) I was keying in my notes after a visit (hotter than hell, AC running full blast) and my damn near new car stumbled and flat fucking died at idle (while I was ~400mi away from home). I search the dang ol internet to see if there might be a clue why this might happen and find guys were typically changing plugs 10k prior to what I had.

The comments at the bottom of this post are more specific to turbo engines, but apparently not as uncommon as I ASSumed initially.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    American: Little cheaper, may look better depending on taste, engines are rough
    I just went and looked, and the Fiesta hatch might be a little more in line with the Fit, and they still list these two variations as available:
    Name:  2019 Fiesta.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  35.1 KB

They also show a 2020 Fusion, though they are bigger, and more expensive cars (and not available in manual). But maybe they are not totally out of the car business. I rented a Fusion back when my car was still on order and if you get a chance to try the Titanium trim, it is the 2.0EB like my Focus, just with automatic (with paddles) and a slightly lower state of tune. It was IMO a very nice car, in that Golidilocks 3-Series size.

Hammertime
    I can pretty much tell you not to buy a second gen (R56) MINI.

Fun as hell and a pretty much always something breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I can pretty much tell you not to buy a second gen (R56) MINI.

Fun as hell and a pretty much always something breaking.
    I came this “ “ close to buying an R53. I heard about the issues with second gear synchros and decided I didn’t need one lol.

User Tag List