Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Econobox/sub compact choice

Econobox/sub compact choice

Seems like we know cars here on PF!

Recently, my wife and I ended up shopping for a new small car for my wife’s 89 year old mom. We wanted small, safety features without overwhelming technology, economical to buy and operate, but not a piece of crap. After a lot of considering different choices, we ended up getting a new Honda Fit. An additional bonus was that it came in orange.

After having it a month, we are all thrilled. It gets nearly 40 mpg around town, is easy to load, and while a small, inexpensive car, it is obvious Honda put love into the design and features of the Fit. I even suggested YVK get one as his “3 gun” vehicle, so he doesn’t have to get his fancy doctor car dusty at the range.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Honda Fit is an awesome car. Really hard to beat for the money.

I've been impressed with newer Mazda's sedans/crossovers for the money. Interiors are really nice and they can be had lightly used for very cheap. Drive well and are much more reliable in the post-Ford era. Not sure if a Mazda 3 qualifies as subcompact but it's a great commuter choice.

My daughter-in-law bought one when in college, and put about a zillion miles on it with minimal maintenance, and minimal problems. Finally sold it when they started a family and needed more room. But the Fit served her well and provided excellent reliability.

Great choice.

I just got a Kia Soul on Monday as my new commuter car. I tried the Fit but at 6"2" I didn't fit very well. Same with the other sub-compacts.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    I bought a brand new 95 Honda hatchback when I got out of the army. Great car, great gas mileage and the money I saved I spent on guns, ammo and training. The fit looks like a great option today. I wish Toyota still made the matrix

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Different criteria, but when I went car shopping fifteen years ago, I took the largest rifle case I had with me. I showed the salesman that it was empty, closed it up, and said "let's see you put this in the trunk."

I ended up with an Accord.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Seems like we know cars here on PF!

Recently, my wife and I ended up shopping for a new small car for my wife’s 89 year old mom. We wanted small, safety features without overwhelming technology, economical to buy and operate, but not a piece of crap. After a lot of considering different choices, we ended up getting a new Honda Fit. An additional bonus was that it came in orange.

After having it a month, we are all thrilled. It gets nearly 40 mpg around town, is easy to load, and while a small, inexpensive car, it is obvious Honda put love into the design and features of the Fit. I even suggested YVK get one as his “3 gun” vehicle, so he doesn’t have to get his fancy doctor car dusty at the range.
    A Honda Fit would be my first choice if in the market for a small car. The back area can be configured in multiple modes. I believe they call it "Magic Seating "
    or something...
    My next door neighbor has owned two of them and loves them.

We have a Mazda 2 right now, they are discontinued.

If we needed to replace it tomorrow, a Honda Fit would almost assuredly be what we bought.

So - Honda Fit.

Though I see Dodge is running it’s cash back on horsepower again. Does she want a Hellcat Challenger? Get $7920 off...

A friend drove a Fit for a good while but replaced it with an Outback when the Grands kept multiplying. More kid volume, but she does not like it as well.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

We loved almost everything about our Honda Fit. Room was great, very efficient, and it was easy to cram an inordinate amount of stuff in it.

Unfortunately we also found it woefully underpowered. You had to anticipate a half mile ahead of when you actually needed to pass someone at highway speeds, so you could press the throttle and wind the nuts out of the engine. I will say, in its defense, I lived in Atlanta at the time, and traffic there is ah brisk to say the least.

As a commuter or versatile run about, though, can’t think of many better options out there.

User Tag List