Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Econobox/sub compact choice

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I bought a base model 2016 Focus SE hatchback in early '17 as a leftover. The deciding factor for me was the ability to fold the rear seat down and fit a road bike with the front wheel removed into the back. It's got 76k miles on it so far. Overall, I like it and I'll probably keep it until it dies. It handles really well, is comfortable on long drives (to Tucson twice and Colorado Springs once from south LA) and typically gets in the low 30 mpg range in and around town and about 40 mpg on the highway. The engine is decently peppy and handling is good, though I don't push it like I used to. At 6'1", I fit comfortably with the seat all the way back; it'd be too small for someone taller. The sound system is decent and the Sync works well. The downsides are the automatic transmission which shudders occasionally when accelerating - a known issue which has gotten better; it rarely happens anymore - and the OEM Contis, which were LOUD on concrete pavement. This is one of those cars which, disregarding the issues with the automatic transmission, would be much better with a stick. Since I'm an old retired guy, I kept the Contis until they hit the wear markers about a thousand miles ago and replaced them with a decent set of Michelins, which are a big improvement in terms of noise. I run it on regular and it idles smoothly.
    Yours is the same generation as my 2013. I too like how much space there is in the hatchback, especially if you fold the seats down. If you remove the truck top divider (not sure of the proper name) you can also pack a lot of stuff vertically. It's almost like a Tardis in that regard (bigger on the inside...).

I got mine with the stick specifically because of the issues Ford was having with the transmission at the time. The problems were more severe back then, up to and including clutch failures.

The factory tires were crap and I replaced mine at 38k with BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 tires. I've put over 30k on those and they have lots of life yet, still ride quiet and handle great.

One thing I did for mine that really improved handling and wasn't difficult was to replace the rear sway bar with an aftermarket one. It really reduces understeer.

BTW, you can get a trailer hitch for it and use a hitch-mounted bike rack. I did that almost immediately after buying it.

Chris

Got to drive the Fit tonight and used the paddle shifters for the first time — lotta fun around town. Would have thought it had 140 ponies not 128.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The Fiesta sucks.

There, I said it.

It's use of space and and design is positively archaic compared to the Fit. The Fit has superior build quality, better gearbox, a better and more reliable engine, and most importantly an extremely efficient use of space inside to allow the user plenty of options and ability.

The Fiesta doesn't even have fold flat rear seats. How do we live in 2020 and a car doesn't come with flat folding rear seats? A feature the best selling sub-compact car, the Honda Fit, has had since inception.

The shape of the rear hatch and the way Ford tailored it to tuck in around the taillights also limits your ability to get things in and out of a Fiesta without having a Fit...(get it??).

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Got to drive the Fit tonight and used the paddle shifters for the first time — lotta fun around town. Would have thought it had 140 ponies not 128.
    Yep, dropping the shifter to S and tagging one of the paddles noticeably changes the car for the better.

With 205/50 ZR-16 summer tires mine handles far better than any car in its class has a right to, and with 185/70R-14 winter tires it simply doesn't care that there are 4 - 5 inches of fresh snow on the road.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Add that third pedal and reclaim your soul. Sort of.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Add that third pedal and reclaim your soul. Sort of.
    Honda's your Huckleberry

Skip to 2:43 to avoid all the bullshit and go straight to the driving

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I used to play with an RSX-S that made ~330 hp at the wheels. I have a pretty good idea what Hondas can be.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I used to play with an RSX-S that made ~330 hp at the wheels. I have a pretty good idea what Hondas can be.
    LOL I bet that was fun.

Automatics can be fun too.......

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The Fiesta sucks.

There, I said it.

It's use of space and and design is positively archaic compared to the Fit. The Fit has superior build quality, better gearbox, a better and more reliable engine, and most importantly an extremely efficient use of space inside to allow the user plenty of options and ability.

The Fiesta doesn't even have fold flat rear seats. How do we live in 2020 and a car doesn't come with flat folding rear seats? A feature the best selling sub-compact car, the Honda Fit, has had since inception.

The shape of the rear hatch and the way Ford tailored it to tuck in around the taillights also limits your ability to get things in and out of a Fiesta without having a Fit...(get it??).
    What the Fiesta does do well is drive. Thats a well sorted chassis that handles like a go kart
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The Fiesta sucks.

There, I said it.

The two cars are aptly named. The Fit is good at devouring more stuff than one would think possible. The Fiesta (at least in ST guise) is fun little party on wheels. Neither is a bad car. Just two different flavors of small hatchback to love.

User Tag List