Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: 2020 Subaru Legacy

More common ground! The justy had a drive shaft blocking oil filter access from beneath because it was on the back of the engine. What worked was putting your chest on the valve cover and reaching around both sides, hugging the engine. Then, given sufficient profanity (very important, that), you could wrap a finger or two from both hands on the filter and twist it free. The first time I tried it, I thought I was going to have to pull the engine. Fuji industries hates mechanics; it's the only thing that makes sense.</rant>

We have a 2016 Legacy with around 40,000 miles. No problems at all. I'm a real Toyota fan and Subaru is the only other brand I would consider. CVT seems to work OK. I don't notice it. Just press the gas and go.

This is perfect timing. I was just about to post an RFI for the Crosstrek

FYI, 2020 Toyota Camry comes with AWD as an option.

If I wanted a Subaru AWD, I would only get Crosstrek with a manual. It is the only car that retains the viscous coupling (not sure about WRX). The rest of them have switched to clutch-coupled AWD, which is not any different from the one found in a Toyota or any other brand. In fact, Honda does one better by adding a bit of torque vectoring with the 2 clutches on half-axles.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    FYI, 2020 Toyota Camry comes with AWD as an option.

If I wanted a Subaru AWD, I would only get Crosstrek with a manual. It is the only car that retains the viscous coupling (not sure about WRX). The rest of them have switched to clutch-coupled AWD, which is not any different from the one found in a Toyota or any other brand. In fact, Honda does one better by adding a bit of torque vectoring with the 2 clutches on half-axles.
    AFAIK the AWD Camry isn't available yet, "Spring 2020" is the release schedule.

I currently drive a 2010 Tacoma and am beyond happy with it and would like to give Toyota a chance for my needs.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Ive been looking at cars also. Subaru was high on my list but some time spent searching current quality control issues and motor issues is time well spent.
    Same boat - motor issues seems to have been sorted past a certain year for non-turbos. I'm more concerned with CVT failures requiring complete replacements and the associated costs.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Same boat - motor issues seems to have been sorted past a certain year for non-turbos. I'm more concerned with CVT failures requiring complete replacements and the associated costs.
    You are talking about the head gasket issue? I understood it has been replaced by a burning oil issue.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    You are talking about the head gasket issue? I understood it has been replaced by a burning oil issue.
    Yeah, my understanding is the older turbo motors never had major failure rates because of MLS head gaskets.

I've heard of oil issues, but haven't heard of hard numbers for what's considered in spec. I know my first cars back in the 90's/00's were 'in spec' with 1qt per 1,000 miles, so I might be a bit blinded on a baseline here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tor...ck-quality/amp

Re the oil issue There was a settlement with owners on the oil issue and going forward it will be resolved at the dealership possibly by replacing the short block

The link above is also worth reading.
    Last edited by UNK; 02-20-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List