Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: 2020 Subaru Legacy

RFI: 2020 Subaru Legacy

Anyone here have any experience with the 2020 models? I'm currently in the market for an AWD car that gets great fuel economy and is cheap, the Legacy looks to fit the bill.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    Anyone here have any experience with the 2020 models? I'm currently in the market for an AWD car that gets great fuel economy and is cheap, the Legacy looks to fit the bill.
    Ive been looking at cars also. Subaru was high on my list but some time spent searching current quality control issues and motor issues is time well spent.

Site Supporter
    Our 2015 is in for Warranty Repair at the dealer a 2 hour drive away. They gave us a 2020
    for a courtesy car. It’s like a space car. It’s cool and drives well. Makes me want a 1992 Ford F-250 stick shift for simplicity and that is more who I am.

It has crossed my mind to update but we got another 5 to 10 years with the current rig.

Bought a 2019 Impreza last spring, happy with it so far. A couple of minor annoyances with the infotainment system but I figure any new car is going to have some feature I don’t like. We got the Eyesight package and like the adaptive cruise and blind spot detection. It’s not sporty but gets us there and back.

I recently bought a clean used 2017 Crosstrek. It's my first Subaru and I'm pretty impressed with it. A friend has a 2009 (I think) Forrester with 420K+ miles on it with no major repairs, just belts, external engine accessories, etc. He owns an ASE certified shop and he does his own maintenance and flushes, but that's still pretty solid in my book.

I would recommend a Crosstrek over the Legacy. I loved the Crosstrek that I had. Great gas mileage, great in the snow, drives really nice. The Legacy is a little bit bigger overall but has less cargo room. On paper, the Crosstrek has less HP but it has enough power to do everything I needed it to do.

If nothing else the resale value on the Crosstrek is a lot better than the Legacy. I traded my Crosstrek off on a Forester and wish I had just kept the Crosstrek as my commuter. It was a lot more fun to drive every day. The Forester is a little bigger but and doesn't do anything bad it just doesn't have the same sporty feel of the Crosstrek.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Source: 2011 Outback (same platform as the Legacy) that I put 132k on:

The early CVT transmissions are having problems around the 150k mark and are very expensive to fix. I would do your due diligence that the problem has been solved on newer models before buying another CVT Subaru.

Otherwise I absolutely loved the car. It's a tank in crappy weather and has a ton of room for passengers and cargo. Easy to work on for general maintenance stuff too. I like Subaru as a brand, if it were me I'd probably be in the market for a Forester or Crosstrek because I believe those two still come with manual transmissions. But they may or may not fit your needs otherwise.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    Source: 2011 Outback (same platform as the Legacy) that I put 132k on:

The early CVT transmissions are having problems around the 150k mark and are very expensive to fix. I would do your due diligence that the problem has been solved on newer models before buying another CVT Subaru.

Otherwise I absolutely loved the car. It's a tank in crappy weather and has a ton of room for passengers and cargo. Easy to work on for general maintenance stuff too. I like Subaru as a brand, if it were me I'd probably be in the market for a Forester or Crosstrek because I believe those two still come with manual transmissions. But they may or may not fit your needs otherwise.
    I remember researching this before I bought my 2017 Outback, and feeling pretty comfortable this CVT issue had been solved by that model year.

CVT's are deal-breakers for me. Indefinite and unrelenting "WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH....," is not something I want to listen to on my commute and that is what the last cvt I drove provided. </boomer>

Quote Originally Posted by randyho View Post
    CVT's are deal-breakers for me. Indefinite and unrelenting "WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH....," is not something I want to listen to on my commute and that is what the last cvt I drove provided. </boomer>
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I love the CVT in my Outback. I love that there's no shifting going on, which is especially nice for driving in the hills or in traffic. The slight whirring noise doesn't seem to irritate me or anyone that has driven in the car. Actually, if the noise approached anything that could be described as, "WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH", then I'd probably bring the car in thinking it was in the midst of breaking down.

Did you drive a modern Subaru CVT, or are you using experience with another brand's CVT to interject in a Subaru thread?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List